LA traffic, normal or severe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, would you consider Los Angeles traffic in the category of normal or severe service?

Say, 50 mile drive, 2 hours, a little stop and go, averaging 25 mph on the freeway...

I mean, it is stop and go. But certainly there has been enough time for the oil to reach operating temps and to burn off water/acid etc.

I'd call it severe, very similar to the traffic I deal with here on Long Island. In other parts of the country in two hours people could cover close to three times that distance.

Without oil analysis, I'd call it severe. I'd mostly be worried about fuel dilution from idling. It's running enough to run the moisture out... plus it's SoCal after all and moisture there isn't much of an issue. Without a lot of the idling component, but say 30 mph in a 65 zone ( : < ), that moves it back into normal. I'd judge it with a UOA. Run a severe interval and UOA, looking especially at TBN and fuel dilution. If TBN holds (showing little oxidation is occuring) and fuel dilution is low during what is your standard driving situation, then stretch the interval out.

I travel from Columbus, OH to Ashland, OH (almost 100 miles exactly) in about an hour, thats with restroom stops and a stop for lunch.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
I travel from Columbus, OH to Ashland, OH (almost 100 miles exactly) in about an hour, thats with restroom stops and a stop for lunch.

Wah????? Wow.

L.A. is severe.

So YOU'RE the one that blows by me on I-71! Wow!

John

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Say, 50 mile drive, 2 hours, a little stop and go, averaging 25 mph on the freeway...

If you're driving 50 miles in 2 hours, you're averaging 25 MPH on the whole trip...so your MPH on the freeway only must be a bit higher, because I'm sure you're stopped at traffic signals also.

A commute that averages 25 MPH isn't all that bad, really. I'd say that mamy commutes average slower than that. I average about 25 MPH on my commute, and don't consider mine severe. I think a lot of people would see "Los Angeles" in your question and automatically label it as severe. Without that, I'm not sure it'd be as clear.

You drive 100 miles, stop for lunch and a bathroom break, and still get there in an hour? You must be averaging 120 MPH when you're driving.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
You drive 100 miles, stop for lunch and a bathroom break, and still get there in an hour? You must be averaging 120 MPH when you're driving.

And that's with a very quick lunch. (drive through)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

And that's with a very quick lunch. (drive through)

And he doesn't slow down while he drives through it either.
smile.gif

Lets see RR stops=10 minutes, Lunch stop=10 minutes. You're doing 100 miles in 40 minutes. Unless my math is screwed, aren't you going about 150 mph? How's the Ferrari's gas milage these days?

Scotty is King of the road
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back