KYB or OEM Toyota shocks?

On Rock, I can get the KYBs for $230 shipped before tax. OEM is around $400 my guess. I used to get a little break at the local dealership but that has changed.
KYB for that price, might be a bit more stiffer but OEM shocks are tuned for a comfy ride, KYB couldn't be that much harsher IMO, plus your car is at the higher age/mileage spectrum might as well save a few more bucks, unless you want to pay for the peace of mind OEM Toyota parts can bring

My choice would be KYB quick struts. It's easy when you don't have to mess with a spring compressor and deal with all those parts. Quick struts are awesome :)

Too bad Toyota doesn't sell OEM quick struts. Ford and Honda actually sell complete assemblies.

Sachs also has a line of quick struts, but their coverage isn't great, and they don't make quick struts for your Prius.

On Rock, I can get the KYBs for $230 shipped before tax. OEM is around $400 my guess. I used to get a little break at the local dealership but that has changed.

Definitely I vote KYB.

I have a pair on a Lexus and they've been outstanding for 100k miles so far, not remotely thinking of changing them yet. Lexus OE is supposedly the KYB just valved a little softer. Also have them on my SUV; took the Monroe Sensa-a-Trac off after 15k miles, they were worn out garbage by then. Sachs is also a great option IMO as has been mentioned.

Rockauto also sells Sachs. I wouldn't be surprised if they're identical to the TRW's.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8741316&cc=1443573&jsn=1433

have a friend who just got the TRW's and he assumed they were made by sachs..
THEY ARE NOT! Turns out Sachs and TRW has just been slapping on their label over regular KYB Excel-G shocks and charging more money..

Oh and he returned them to get Toyota OEM instead. Not much more money and not worth the quality issues KYB has had. People can do what they want, of course, but for me, I'd never go back to KYB.. The old argument "they make them for Toyota" And that means Toyota's standards not what they sell in the aftermarket, they are different.

I was not very happy with the mainstream shocks for my old Crown Vic and a set of Ford shocks didn't do as well as the old ones. I found where Monroe had 1 part number for the entire Panther chassis for all years while KYB had specific ones for different years. I bought mine on Amazon of all places. They worked great!

THEY ARE NOT! Turns out Sachs and TRW has just been slapping on their label over regular KYB Excel-G shocks and charging more money..

Oh and he returned them to get Toyota OEM instead. Not much more money and not worth the quality issues KYB has had. People can do what they want, of course, but for me, I'd never go back to KYB.. The old argument "they make them for Toyota" And that means Toyota's standards not what they sell in the aftermarket, they are different.
That’s the feeling I get from Sachs shocks that are listed for a automaker that ZF didn’t originally supply for - relabeled. I know Sachs/Boge is OEM for virtually all the European OEMs but they only made inroads with Honda recently with their Nivomat shocks.

I had a chat with The Critic, the new black KYB Excel-Gs aren’t like the older GR-2 design.

What a shame they're doing that :mad:

Reboxing does happen, though, particularly for low-volume cars. Obviously, one company can't make every shock for every car.

That’s the feeling I get from Sachs shocks that are listed for a automaker that ZF didn’t originally supply for - relabeled. I know Sachs/Boge is OEM for virtually all the European OEMs but they only made inroads with Honda recently with their Nivomat shocks.

I had a chat with The Critic, the new black KYB Excel-Gs aren’t like the older GR-2 design.

Sachs makes the shocks for a lot of American and Mexican-made Nissans, too. Japanese Nissans mostly used Tokico until Tokico went out of business.

That does make sense, since my friend tried to get Sachs/TRW for their scion tC, which was low volume. For my civic I was able to get real Sachs (super touring model) for my civic, since I've heard they supply Honda in Europe. That was a couple years ago, didn't know if they still would supply it under their real name. real sachs I found was great quality. I've been enjoying them. But it's a gamble for other vehicles it seems.

ahhh so the new excel-g's aren't like the older gr-2 design. It's sad to see so many things lately get cheaper and worse performance with the "new update".. My friend did go with the Toyota OEM. I had him compress the piston of the rear TRW's and it was so loose he could almost compress it with one hand! The Toyota rear shocks he got, needed both hands and the ride is taut, composed, controlled. And the price was about $10 more from the aftermarket.

That does make sense, since my friend tried to get Sachs/TRW for their scion tC, which was low volume. For my civic I was able to get real Sachs (super touring model) for my civic, since I've heard they supply Honda in Europe. That was a couple years ago, didn't know if they still would supply it under their real name. real sachs I found was great quality. I've been enjoying them. But it's a gamble for other vehicles it seems.

ahhh so the new excel-g's aren't like the older gr-2 design. It's sad to see so many things lately get cheaper and worse performance with the "new update".. My friend did go with the Toyota OEM. I had him compress the piston of the rear TRW's and it was so loose he could almost compress it with one hand! The Toyota rear shocks he got, needed both hands and the ride is taut, composed, controlled. And the price was about $10 more from the aftermarket.
Sachs(the car division that is now ZF, their bike business is now owned by SRAM) was known as Boge for shocks - and they were the OEM shock for many BMWs, VW/Audi and Volvo. For laughs and giggles I looked up my part number in Sachs and they were made in China - ZF does have plants there. Most Sachs/Boge shocks were made in France or Mexico IIRC. Honda is now offering ZF Nivomat shocks on some Acura models.

I was happy with a set of GR-2s on an older Lexus LS400. Now, the Monroes I installed on an now departed van got loose over time. Too bad there isn’t a mono tube upgrade option.

The aftermarket Sachs for my Honda were made in China. Since the ones for your Prius are also made there, I can only assume they're not rebadged..

According to a thread on another forum, the rebadged KYB's are made in Japan
https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53811

box for my hrv -
IMG_1457 2.jpg

I've been happy with the KYB I installed on all 4 corners on the Odyssey. With 195K miles, it was more than due. Was the furthest thing from a controlled experiment, though - I replaced original steel control arms with aluminum, new struts and shocks obv, and new wheels and tires, going from the original 235/65R16 to 18" off an MDX shod in 235/55R18. Also did pads (Akebono) and rotors (Raybestos Element3) and bled the brakes.

A good chunk of the improvement has to be on the struts and shocks but I can't say how much, and I've put under 5K on this renewed version of the van.

You can buy OEM shocks from Toyota Parts Delivered, which is the online site of Toyota of Nashua. Discounts can be sizeable.

IMO, aftermarket shocks and struts from the brands we once held in high regard are no longer what they used to be.
If you want to do the job once, whether you or a shop will be doing the work then do it right and get the OE from Toyota.
This. 👍

I’ve gone OEM for the least drama - yes, there would be a cost savings with the KYB Excel-Gs but also the potential warranty drama if they leak oil and soften up. I also need to grab the boots and order one more control arm for a front-end refresh.

Did the ones you get have the elongated holes? Or did you get the skinny bolts for the alignment purposes? You can also take a dremel and make the hole bigger if you didn’t.

Did the ones you get have the elongated holes? Or did you get the skinny bolts for the alignment purposes? You can also take a dremel and make the hole bigger if you didn’t.
That I don’t know. I might pickup a set of cam bolts and install them to make a alignment tech’s life easier.

That is a bad blow to their trusted brand in my book and making (or buying them) in China is even worse.
hey trav.. yeah it was a huge blow, my friend is used to sachs and lemforder because he had a bmw before. I'm hesitant on buying them again for my civic.. because the ones I got back in 15 were made in japan and were sachs brand. they've been awesome. but who knows what I'll find when the time comes to replace them..

Back