KYB Excel-G shocks made in USA

I just got some KYB struts and shocks from Rock Auto. The two rear shocks say made in Japan. The two front struts say made in the USA. I didn't know they were making them in the US. I hope they are as good as the ones from Japan. Anyone have experience with USA KYB struts?

Well, when I push the shaft all the way in on one of the struts it will not extend all the way back out. It will only extend about half the way out. If I twist the shaft, it will extend the rest of the way. Will this be a problem.

Last edited:
I know people might jump on me.. but I haven't been impressed with KYB's quality, sure they might supply Toyota/OEM's but that is to the OEM spec, not what they sell in the aftermarket. Plus the strut sticking half way down and trying to "help it" back up.. To me that's not working correctly. Any piston on a shock/strut that has done that shows me it's defective. People can debate that, but a shock has one thing to do, control shocks (oscillation) if it cannot even lift it's own piston back up, how would it function with the weight of the car on it?! come on..

I have had KYB's come completely leaking of all their oil (twin tube design) out in the box, brand new! Wow.. Got a couple sets like that, gave up on KYB, no thanks.

If you can get Bilsteins for your ride, and if the supply chain has them out there, I'd suggest that. Yes I know it's easy to say that, but when I compared prices between Sachs, KYB and Bilstein for the Civic, they were almost the same price! Crazy I know! So check it out, I bet if you held a Bilstein next to a KYB you'd immediately see the quality difference, I sure did!

I'm wondering if they will ride as rough regardless of country of origin.
Define rough as opinions/expectations vary... Personally I like aggressive suspension/handling and don't mind feeling every imperfection in the road. If I run over a coin I like to be able to feel what year it was stamped in, let alone heads/tails as that's too easy!

When I needed to replace the rear shocks on my ride I chose to stick with the exact OEM parts as I didn't want to compromise the handling with softer/cheaper alternatives.

No, they are supposed to be gas filled.. They are for a chevy Trax. I'm thinking I may just send them back and get some GM AC Delco factory shocks. Probably should have done that in the beginning.
Read their manual, but I don't think they have to rebound completely, as the gas charge isn't a "spring", its just nitrogen and not air and supposed to keep foaming down in the oil.
I've had KYB's made in japan and taiwan quick struts on the front of the Focus. They've always worked well for me, and I do some local level autocross. The top mounts on the Focus were incredibly shock absorbing compared to OEM ford and even compared to the Outback, and takes the edge off stuff like 1" steps in the pavement. I don't know if all the quickstruts come with such good top mounts now? They do have a bit higher damping rates in my experience, which is what I want, more a european level of damping,
Our Outback comes with 70's Buick damping rates so I'll be putting KYB's on it when the time comes.

No, they are supposed to be gas filled.. They are for a chevy Trax. I'm thinking I may just send them back and get some GM AC Delco factory shocks. Probably should have done that in the beginning.
Sad, isn't it? That's how the aftermarket has been lately with quality. After the kyb and sachs (they were bad out of the box too) I was lucky to find some Bilsteins still in stock for the Civic. You might as well get the factory shocks and call it a day. Hope the price isn't that much more!

You replacing yours already? Although I usually change factory shocks out early, my 2015 Trax has shown no indication it needs them although the gradual decline is probably not very noticable and I'll know when I put new ones on. In any case a few people on the Trax forums have put on Bilsteins and love them. Pricey though but I'm going to go that way eventually.

It is possible that they are oil fill unlike the gas fill struts.
Most, if not all shock absorbers are nitrogen charged to reduce oil aeration. Twin-tube shocks have a low charge of gas, monotube shocks have higher pressure charges. Bilstein made the monotube shock popular.

It is possible that they are oil fill unlike the gas fill struts.
ALL shocks have oil. Shocks with just oil are generally referred to as hydraulic shocks (there are a lot of these offered in the lifted Jeep world: "hydro shocks"). These are easy to tell when new because when you push them down they don't come back up where any gas shock not completely blown will push the shaft back up. "gas" shocks have oil and gas to prevent/minimize aerating the oil. Kyb GR2/excel are twin tube gas, gas a just and monomax are monotube gas. Monomax are the only ones you MIGHT consider firm. There quality isn't any worse or better then Monroe, Gabriel or other mass consumer based replacement parts. A few will fail prematurely. If your one of the unlucky ones out of tens of thousands with no issues use the warranty.

AC Delco is an aftermarket parts supplier just like Motorcraft is. They are not OEM parts.

Those AC Delco struts will most likely be re-labeled Monroes or similar.

Thanks guys. I sent the KYBs back. GM AC Delcos will be here tomorrow. I'm getting what came stock on the car. :)
The Delcos are made by Monroe or KYB FYI - but the valving will be different. ACDelco is GM’s aftermarket service brand but you can get GM OE(blue label) or aftermarket(gold or silver label). It used to be ACDelco Orignal, Professional and Advantage.

Back