KYB Excel-G shocks made in USA

AC Delco is an aftermarket parts supplier just like Motorcraft is. They are not OEM parts.

Those AC Delco struts will most likely be re-labeled Monroes or similar.

ACDelco has both OE and aftermarket parts in the lineup.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment is the OE line
ACDelco Gold, formerly Professional (amateur), is mid-grade aftermarket parts (Gabriel shocks, Raybestos brake parts, etc)
ACDelco Silver, formerly Advantage (disadvantage), is low-quality scrap you should avoid.

The OE shocks for this car seem to be made by S&T

These are GM original OEM shocks, struts are

Front Driver Side Suspension Strut - GM (95440469)​

95440469 and 95440470. Rears are 95387906. These are whats on it now and the new ones are the same parts.

Attachments

• GM-Struts.jpg
    GM-Struts.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I just removed my 2nd set of KYB gas shocks from my 70 Chevelle due to continued leakage. Had them in the past with no issues but the newer ones are garbage. Went with Bilsteins and the ride / handling is 100% better although they cost 2X as much.

I just removed my 2nd set of KYB gas shocks from my 70 Chevelle due to continued leakage. Had them in the past with no issues but the newer ones are garbage. Went with Bilsteins and the ride / handling is 100% better although they cost 2X as much.
I agree 100% with you.. I know I've posted it before and I was in the minority but the KYB's I ordered (not from rockauto the way they handle their parts, wow) were leaking brand new in the box! Just wow.. Returned the KYB's and this was a couple of sets, the boxes weren't damaged just defective.. Not the KYB of the past, like @Trav was mentioning in another thread, the aftermarket's quality is going down the drain lately! Scary stuff..

Yes the newer stuff is junk, good to hear about the Bilsteins! I have a set ready to go for my Civic.. Can't wait!

I agree 100% with you.. I know I've posted it before and I was in the minority but the KYB's I ordered (not from rockauto the way they handle their parts, wow) were leaking brand new in the box! Just wow.. Returned the KYB's and this was a couple of sets, the boxes weren't damaged just defective.. Not the KYB of the past, like @Trav was mentioning in another thread, the aftermarket's quality is going down the drain lately! Scary stuff..

Yes the newer stuff is junk, good to hear about the Bilsteins! I have a set ready to go for my Civic.. Can't wait!
I am crossing my fingers that they will not leak like the KYB's. Time will tell but IN MY OPINION there is a big difference as to how my back feels!! LOL. In addition, I THINK the car handles better.

I am crossing my fingers that they will not leak like the KYB's. Time will tell but IN MY OPINION there is a big difference as to how my back feels!! LOL. In addition, I THINK the car handles better.
That's awesome! I know a 70 Chevelle is way different than a civic, but.. Is the ride more firm? or just more controlled? I bet it does handle better, most of the Bilsteins were mono-shocks and had a better rate of response that's what makes them better handling.

That's awesome! I know a 70 Chevelle is way different than a civic, but.. Is the ride more firm? or just more controlled? I bet it does handle better, most of the Bilsteins were mono-shocks and had a better rate of response that's what makes them better handling.
Ride quality is more like an opinion. I will say that when going over RR tracks with the KYB's it was like smacking. With the Bilsteins it more controlled and less up and down. Also around hard turns there is just less dip and sway. Feels like a better quality ride despite the extra money. That said there are just so many variations of each brand for specific applications. I feel I was not Penny wise and Dollar foolish this time around!

Ride quality is more like an opinion. I will say that when going over RR tracks with the KYB's it was like smacking. With the Bilsteins it more controlled and less up and down. Also around hard turns there is just less dip and sway. Feels like a better quality ride despite the extra money. That said there are just so many variations of each brand for specific applications. I feel I was not Penny wise and Dollar foolish this time around!
Thanks for that view, I've heard the same things (more control, less sway) even for the Civic's model shocks from Bilstein. I've had cheapie no-name all-in-one struts and that slapping/smacking they do quite frequently. They don't really absorb a bump they just have it hit it with the tires! I think you and I both made a good decision going with Bilstein! I just have to get them installed on mine! :cool:

Thanks for that view, I've heard the same things (more control, less sway) even for the Civic's model shocks from Bilstein. I've had cheapie no-name all-in-one struts and that slapping/smacking they do quite frequently. They don't really absorb a bump they just have it hit it with the tires! I think you and I both made a good decision going with Bilstein! I just have to get them installed on mine! :cool:
Let us know how they work in your vehicle.

i love my kyb gas a just offroad, the big bumps and potholes don't hurt much more than the little cracks in the pavement. you can feel every pebble on the road though

I just got some KYB struts and shocks from Rock Auto. The two rear shocks say made in Japan. The two front struts say made in the USA. I didn't know they were making them in the US. I hope they are as good as the ones from Japan. Anyone have experience with USA KYB struts?
Yes. Just had a full set of KYB Excel Gs put on our 2003 Ford Taurus SES about 3 months ago and they are performing great.
No problems. Ride is nice and smooth.

I'm a big fan of KYB's Gas-Adjust line. I've used them on F/R of rwd vehicles and the rear of larger fwd vehicles. Limited applications and I've never seen them in a strut cartridge. Gave up on Monroe and Delco many years ago.

I put KYB's on my 70 SS Chevelle BB with new springs. First front set blew the seals within a year, second failed in 6 months. Both were made in Japan and rode hard as I felt every little pebble on the road and they hit bumps hard. In my opinion only, and were complete junk. Went to Bilstein and although more money the ride is 100% better.

About a year ago, I had to put new struts on my 2010 Corolla with only a 20k miles at the time (bought with 5k miles about 6 months prior) due to running over blown out tires on road twice in 1 week which ruined my struts- not sure why people think they don’t have to pick up their tire that blew out as if a magical fairy will come get their trash… anyhow, I got the KYBs quick struts from autozone (would not a fan of AZ but prefer that over ordering a mystery box from Rockauto and actually was cheaper to get from AZ versus RA. And I gotta say they were great quality. And my ride feels exactly the same as new (if not better). So in my experience going to AZ and getting the KYB’s was the right choice for me. Great quality, and great ride.

About a year ago, I had to put new struts on my 2010 Corolla with only a 20k miles at the time (bought with 5k miles about 6 months prior) due to running over blown out tires on road twice in 1 week which ruined my struts- not sure why people think they don’t have to pick up their tire that blew out as if a magical fairy will come get their trash… anyhow, I got the KYBs quick struts from autozone (would not a fan of AZ but prefer that over ordering a mystery box from Rockauto and actually was cheaper to get from AZ versus RA. And I gotta say they were great quality. And my ride feels exactly the same as new (if not better). So in my experience going to AZ and getting the KYB’s was the right choice for me. Great quality, and great ride.
Glad to hear but NOT the same shocks I had which were Gas-a-Just. .

Back