KTM 1190 Adventure Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a lightly used KTM 1190 Adventure. I changed the oil right away, along with all the other fluids. I went along with the user manual recommendation of using Motorex oil 10W-50. Decided I better do some research here, and I’m finding out that it’s not a very good oil. So what are the recommendations for use here in the LC8? Any good results with Redline? I haven’t been able to find much, if any, information on it.

Nice Bike
thumbsup2.gif

I would like to know what other people are running in their KTM bikes my brother-in-law just bought a Duke 390 and a couple of friends of mine have 690, one friend has 1190 adv.
Motorex seems so expensive, any reason they cannot use a cheaper oil?

Originally Posted By: Mc357
I would like to know what other people are running in their KTM bikes my brother-in-law just bought a Duke 390 and a couple of friends of mine have 690, one friend has 1190 adv.
Motorex seems so expensive, any reason they cannot use a cheaper oil?

The good stuff is going to cost money. I’m willing to pay it to protect my investment. However, I want to be paying for a good oil.

Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
Just picked up a lightly used KTM 1190 Adventure. I changed the oil right away, along with all the other fluids. I went along with the user manual recommendation of using Motorex oil 10W-50. Decided I better do some research here, and I’m finding out that it’s not a very good oil. So what are the recommendations for use here in the LC8? Any good results with Redline? I haven’t been able to find much, if any, information on it.

Be careful with the "research" you do here. Most of the info is posted by people who don't know any more than you do.

Simply put, look for API and JASO ratings.

MA2 is the best JASO rating for that bike.

API SN, SM, and SL are all fine. Whether you want conventional, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic is up to you and the oil change interval you'd prefer.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Jason try this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-329128-Extra4-Synthetic-Motorcycle/dp/B000GU1XFK

I see you're from Moore. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm on my Tiger 800.
thumbsup2.gif

I need to update my profile. I just moved up to Denver Colorado. I miss Moore though, friendly folks there.

I think I'll try going with the Redline 10w-50 powersports oil. Lots of zddp, just hope it can hold up for 5k miles at least.

Last edited:
I currently have 4 KTM's including a 1290 Super Duke R. I run Mobil 1 15W-50 in every 4 stroke motorcycle I own (17 currently) and I have done so for at least the past 20 years with zero issues. You can purchase it at Wal-mart for around $23 for a 5qt jug.

I'm running Motorex PowerSynt 10w50 in my '17 Super Duke 1290, and I used in my '14 before that. It seems to be working well, and the price wasn't too bad from Amazon.

I'll probably try another brand sooner or later, just for fun.

One I won't try is Mobil 1 15w50 car oil as I've personally had mixed results with it. Maybe the failures aren't oil related, but I had a cam bearing fail on a Honda ST1100 and a countershaft bearing fail on an XR650L after a steady diet of M1. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Absolutely sick bike, hands down.
I don't own one, but I would brace for the 1190 being brutal on oil. Shearing in particular.
First question is what your min riding temp is, then how long you want to go between changes.

Botique oils abound, and you can't go wrong with those. Motul, Bel-ray, Maxima, and Redline are some that come to mind. Even with these, my main doubts are that you could do the full interval, but that bit's conjecture until I see a UOA from someone with an 1190ADV-R. To that end, I'm sorry.

Ill try to answer your question from the lower-cost front. All of these I am confident will not compromise your bike's life:
Mobile 1 15w50 (PCMO-syn) is a good option (I'm curious how they formulate it as an SN though, lately, and whether its just as shear-stable as past blends)
Mystik 15w50 (HDEO-semisyn) should be a good option too if you want to reduce the OEM interval--same applies to above.
Valvoline synthetic or Mobile 1 (MC/4T) 10w40 with 20w50 (or just 20w50) would hold up. Some people report consumption on other sites.
Rotella CK-4 T5 15w40 (HDEO-semisyn) combined appropriately with a 10w60 will work. the new CK-4 Rotella T5 looks to be amazingly shear-stable in its own right (Check recent UOA here.)

I am currently running a blend between T5 and Maxima Extra4 10w60 on my adv bike to get a durability and cost I wanted. That Extra4 is primarily an ester from what I was able to find, and it's also stuffed full of organometallics. "4T Compliant sweetener" is how I'd describe it. For what it's worth to you, the blend is smoother shifting than Castrol 4T racing full synthetic 10w50, which went in last.

Use this if you want to mix! http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

Last edited:
I have been using motul 300v 5w-40 on my 1290 R with 3k miles oci and am happy with it but then again, how many bikes do you know that have "broken" because of the oil...

Any of the suggestions will work. Something I am seeing with motorcycles/powersports vehicles, manufacturers are going for a wide viscosity spread. Then it becomes simple for the user to use one oil all the time. Nothing wrong with running a bit heavier in hot temps and a bit thinner if you ride in the cooler temps.

10w50 would seem to be an easy shear down to a 40wt, unless there is a UOA showing otherwise.
Mobil1 4T 10w40 did a great job for 4,603 miles in my ZRX1200. Starts out as per Mobil as a lower end 40wt at 13.4 cST and was 11.98 at the end. Had a TBN done on this oil, first time I have done a TBN and it was 6.5. Geesh, had tons of potential use left! Shifting hadn't fallen off either. Going past 5000 miles (Kawasaki OCI interval for this bike) on something that is run hard and sees really hot temps in the summer at times is hard to come to grips with, but the numbers show I could.

With that said, does KTM only mention the 10w50 weight or is there a list of acceptable weights based on expected outside temperature?

Originally Posted by Bonz
Any of the suggestions will work. Something I am seeing with motorcycles/powersports vehicles, manufacturers are going for a wide viscosity spread. Then it becomes simple for the user to use one oil all the time. Nothing wrong with running a bit heavier in hot temps and a bit thinner if you ride in the cooler temps.

10w50 would seem to be an easy shear down to a 40wt, unless there is a UOA showing otherwise.
Mobil1 4T 10w40 did a great job for 4,603 miles in my ZRX1200. Starts out as per Mobil as a lower end 40wt at 13.4 cST and was 11.98 at the end. Had a TBN done on this oil, first time I have done a TBN and it was 6.5. Geesh, had tons of potential use left! Shifting hadn't fallen off either. Going past 5000 miles (Kawasaki OCI interval for this bike) on something that is run hard and sees really hot temps in the summer at times is hard to come to grips with, but the numbers show I could.

With that said, does KTM only mention the 10w50 weight or is there a list of acceptable weights based on expected outside temperature?

I'm seeing they recommend 10w50 only. I put 20w50 Redline in it before storing for the winter. Rode it a few times with this oil, and it seems just fine. Once the morning temps are 40 F, I stop riding anyways. If I do, then it gets a nice warm up at idle to get the oil temp up first.

Hey, see you are in Parker. I'm down in Palmer Lake. I would keep that Redline 20w50 in there for as long as you are going to run this OCI. That stuff has a -49 deg F pour point. It's an ester base (flows very well at cold temps, has very good "cling" to parts for cold start lubrication) and as good as it gets for zinc and phosphorus content. Will resist sheer in that monster motor as well as any oil out there.

Motorex, Bel-Ray, Motul (syn and semi syn), YamaLube, Maxima, Castro 4T, and probably more all offer a 10w50. A good oil as well would be Mobil 1 15w50 or Mystic JT8 semi syn 15w50.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back