Korean Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Popinski
Consumer Reports always give Korean cars and electronics high ratings. I'm not sure if it's a legit source of testing but they're always rating the Koreans high. On this month's issue, they marked the Hyundai Genesis VG, LG Vacuum cleaner, and Samsung TV's #1 They're on par, if not better than the Japanese and Americans. People just can't accept that because they're stuck in the "old days".

I don't know, my brother-in-law works at a car dealership and sees a lot of cars coming through. He said he doesn't see nearly as many high mileage Korean makes coming through as he does Japanese makes, and he also said the high mileage Korean vehicles have more problems than the Japanese makes...I'm not so sure I'm ready to jump on the Korean bandwagon just yet....
diddnt you kinda say 2 different things there or am i missing something... if he doesnt see as many Korean come through then how can he say they have more problems?

EDIT: sorry i re read it a few times and guess you were meaning that the korean cars arent making it to high mileage as often as the Japanese and when they do they have more problems, sorry for being dumb lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
Originally Posted By: Popinski
Consumer Reports always give Korean cars and electronics high ratings. I'm not sure if it's a legit source of testing but they're always rating the Koreans high. On this month's issue, they marked the Hyundai Genesis VG, LG Vacuum cleaner, and Samsung TV's #1 They're on par, if not better than the Japanese and Americans. People just can't accept that because they're stuck in the "old days".

I don't know, my brother-in-law works at a car dealership and sees a lot of cars coming through. He said he doesn't see nearly as many high mileage Korean makes coming through as he does Japanese makes, and he also said the high mileage Korean vehicles have more problems than the Japanese makes...I'm not so sure I'm ready to jump on the Korean bandwagon just yet....
diddnt you kinda say 2 different things there or am i missing something... if he doesnt see as many Korean come through then how can he say they have more problems?

EDIT: sorry i re read it a few times and guess you were meaning that the korean cars arent making it to high mileage as often as the Japanese and when they do they have more problems, sorry for being dumb lol

Yes, that's exactly what I meant...no worries...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We need a magazine to rank the consumer reporting magazines.

Yeah they are a joke especially how they rank automobiles and electronics but really with everything. If you have any expertise or experience with the products you can see their ranking is pretty off. I remember Consumer Reports sometimes reported two vehicles on the same platform out of the same plant, one foreign badge and one domestic, and rated the foreign much higher in reliability, higher even than the usual difference they typically gave between a wholly domestic and wholly foreign. They got wise to that and made adjustments I think so glaring inaccuracies aren't so obvious.

You usually cannot make any sense of their ranking. It seems subjective and vague and even arbitrary.

They say they are independent and neutral, but they are definitely biased and have an agenda. Just like all consumers reporting their opinion have as well.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We need a magazine to rank the consumer reporting magazines.

Yeah they are a joke especially how they rank automobiles and electronics but really with everything. If you have any expertise or experience with the products you can see their ranking is pretty off. I remember Consumer Reports sometimes reported two vehicles on the same platform out of the same plant, one foreign badge and one domestic, and rated the foreign much higher in reliability, higher even than the usual difference they typically gave between a wholly domestic and wholly foreign. They got wise to that and made adjustments I think so glaring inaccuracies aren't so obvious.

You usually cannot make any sense of their ranking. It seems subjective and vague and even arbitrary.

They say they are independent and neutral, but they are definitely biased and have an agenda. Just like all consumers reporting their opinion have as well.

Wow, why would anyone read that rag? Why do they have so many subcscibers and are quoted so often? Boggles the mind.

Last edited:
consumer reports did stop recommending certain toyota's b/c of the gas pedal acceleration issue.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
consumer reports did stop recommending certain toyota's b/c of the gas pedal acceleration issue.

...which turned out to be a load of [censored] and was blown way out of proportion.

Their coverage of the Suzuki Samurai has made me never trust their opinions again, whether I'm buying a car or laundry detergent.

Last edited:
I'm not. People are far more gullable today than they've ever been. Look at the hoards of people paying way too much for Harleys because their massive marketing machine has brainwashed people into believing they're getting a superior product when they're actually getting an inferior one...

You may say what you like about the Harley's, but I can't help but think You don't feel that way in regards to the vehicle sitting in your driveway, yet I'm willing to bet the marketing is just the same..

The older Korean cars were not exactly the cream of the crop. The target demographic of their owners left something to be desired. With those two factors, it is hard to come across a well maintained high mileage Korean car. When you come across any older Korean car, invariably it will have un-fixed collision damage

However, surely this is changing. Give it another decade or half and you will have lots of good high mileage Korean cars.

I never though I would do it but we just bought a 2011 Kia Sportage. I looked at several competitors and this was the one we like best. Quality is every bit as good if not better than every Toyota I have had. Time will tell...

On a positive note, the MIL's commuter is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra with 212,000 miles and still going strong.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
I'm not. People are far more gullable today than they've ever been. Look at the hoards of people paying way too much for Harleys because their massive marketing machine has brainwashed people into believing they're getting a superior product when they're actually getting an inferior one...

You may say what you like about the Harley's, but I can't help but think You don't feel that way in regards to the vehicle sitting in your driveway, yet I'm willing to bet the marketing is just the same..

The difference is I don't buy based on marketing or a perceived cult status of a product...unlike many HD owners...

Originally Posted By: sw99
I never though I would do it but we just bought a 2011 Kia Sportage. I looked at several competitors and this was the one we like best. Quality is every bit as good if not better than every Toyota I have had. Time will tell...

On a positive note, the MIL's commuter is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra with 212,000 miles and still going strong.

INITIAL quality may be as good or better, but the true tale will be told when the vehicle has a 100K+ miles...that's where there's a difference...

The difference is I don't buy based on marketing or a perceived cult status of a product...unlike many HD owners...

Actually, I am willing to bet you do and don't even realise it. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, whatever, all employ marketing techniques very similar to HD. This is why you have the old Ford Vs Chevy and Import Vs Domestic battles. It's been around for years and cars are not the only exception.

INITIAL quality may be as good or better, but the true tale will be told when the vehicle has a 100K+ miles...that's where there's a difference...

I suppose the 212K on the MIL's car doesn't count for any "Inital quality past 100K" for Korean vehicles..

I suppose the 212K on the MIL's car doesn't count for any "Inital quality past 100K" for Korean vehicles..

Thats what I was thinking...

:rolleyes:

As I stated in an earlier post, my brother-in-law, who sees far more vehicles than any of us do because he works at a car dealership, says he sees far more Japanese models with high mileage than he does Korean makes, and on the occasions when he does see high mileage Korean models, they have more problems, and are in worse shape as compared to the Japanese models...the 212K mile Korean make mentioned in an earlier post is just one example...he!!, I've seen people say they've gotten 200K+ on a Cavalier. Does that mean they're great cars and we should all rush out and buy one? I don't think so...

Last edited:

Actually, I am willing to bet you do and don't even realise it. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, whatever, all employ marketing techniques very similar to HD. This is why you have the old Ford Vs Chevy and Import Vs Domestic battles. It's been around for years and cars are not the only exception.

You would lose that bet. I thoroughly research every product I buy that I consider to be a major purchase, and even many that aren't major purchases. I don't pay any attention to ads or commercials.

As I stated in an earlier post, my brother-in-law, who sees far more vehicles than any of us do because he works at a car dealership, says he sees far more Japanese models with high mileage than he does Korean makes, and on the occasions when he does see high mileage Korean models, they have more problems, and are in worse shape as compared to the Japanese models...the 212K mile Korean make mentioned in an earlier post is just one example...he!!, I've seen people say they've gotten 200K+ on a Cavalier. Does that mean they're great cars and we should all rush out and buy one? I don't think so...

I'd put a Cavalier up against ANYTHING for durability. GM makes the best FWD automatics obtainable, and I've seen 2.2 engines with over 300K on them.

The problem the the Cavalier is you have to be durable as an owner to drive one for a long period of time.

My mom loves hers, but it's brutal to drive. Unless she totals it before she retires, I'll be driving it from Denver to St Louis when she returns to the area.

I'm not looking forward to that road trip.

What kind of Dealership does he work at? Probably a Japanese dealer right? I have yet to see a "Dealership" that sells Japanese and Korean vehicles together...

Sounds like you just have something against Korean made vehicles and/or deny the way their products have had consistent increases in quality of the past several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back