Kona EV long Uber ride

Yesterday, I used Uber from HPN (White Plains, NY) to SWF (Newburgh, NY) and the driver that showed up had a Kona EV. I knew the ride was going to be long, as it's 63 miles and there is generally a traffic jam on the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. So I asked the driver if the car would make it, "yes" he said, but he would have to charge when he dropped me off.

The ride was fine, we made it no problem, but range took a big hit on the highway. He started out with 230 miles showing and arrived with 56 miles showing remaining. So we used up 170 miles of indicated range in 63 miles of highway and a 20 minute traffic jam. During the trip, he showed me that he had to be towed on a flatbed the day before, as the charger he needed was out of order and he ended up driving the car a few more miles until it died. He also believed that the indication said he had more miles remaining than he did.

The driver complained bitterly about the fact that charging always took an hour and that some chargers were very slow taking as much as 8 hours, and that we are just not ready for EV's. The cost to charge it up is $14, and he leaves home with it fully charged. He says most days he has to charge twice. He drives Uber exclusively for a job and told me he was planning on selling the EV right away and getting a conventional car. I suggested a Camry Hybrid due to reliability.

The car was very quiet, was a very pleasant Uber experience, and I found the back seat roomy enough (he did have the front pax seat moved forward). But the rear suspension had inadequate travel, and the car would regularly "bottom out" on the bump stops. While not exactly jarring on the rough NY roads, it certainly indicated a lack of suspension refinement. I would not say that's a deal breaker, but it's certainly not ideal.

Hyundai-Kona-Electric-FL-Adi-3-630x356.jpeg

The car looked like the white one in this pic.

I wonder if it was fully charged when it had the 230 mile range?
I’m guessing the AC is what took the toll on the range.

Not a bad looking little car. I’d entertain a Kona.

I wonder if they calculated remaining range would go back up once it gets out of rush-hour traffic and back to freeway driving.

A Tesla uber took us home from the airport a couple weeks ago. 65 miles to our house from the airport and the Tesla was stuck in traffic on their way to pick us up. I trust the driver made it back.

I find it funny that these uber/Lift drivers buy these $40K + cars and then destroy them using them as ride shares with the mileage and the general population in the back.

In his case I'd be looking at $ lost for the time spent charging... Factor that in with the cost per charge and he's likely losing out on the hour. It is good to read a real world everyday use scenario that points out a flawed system for some.

I find it funny that these uber/Lift drivers buy these $40K + cars and then destroy them using them as ride shares with the mileage and the general population in the back.
I think in some cases it's the parents that buy the car for never-do-well offspring in an attempt to get them to do any work. Doesn't matter if the true cost to drive the car is 20 cents a mile more than the reimbursement rate. They get to say the 30+ year old son has a job, and they don't have to "loan" him money every time he asks.

I think in some cases it's the parents that buy the car for never-do-well offspring in an attempt to get them to do any work. Doesn't matter if the true cost to drive the car is 20 cents a mile more than the reimbursement rate. They get to say the 30+ year old son has a job, and they don't have to "loan" him money every time he asks.
I think it is for people who can't or won't do arithmetic.

It’s not the right car for the situation. He is losing income during the charging periods compared to the quick few minutes of refueling.

The suggestion of a Camry Hybrid is a good one.

It is probably not destroying them, they are designed to charge discharge like that. Most likely the owner use it just enough to be able to write off a lot of the cost of the Tesla so he can have the car "free" after the write off.

It’s not the right car for the situation. He is losing income during the charging periods compared to the quick few minutes of refueling.

The suggestion of a Camry Hybrid is a good one.
Thanks, I thought the Camry hybrid was a better fit.

It will be interesting to see how other Uber drivers feel about using an EV for taxi service. I would bet a long range Model S (100KWh battery) would only need one 30-40 min charge per day. But a $102,000 car is prob not destined for Uber use 😂

It is probably not destroying them, they are designed to charge discharge like that. Most likely the owner use it just enough to be able to write off a lot of the cost of the Tesla so he can have the car "free" after the write off.
Probably the constant partial charge/discharge operation coupled with the high number of trips/miles driven is, at least for the battery, a good fit.

although, fast charging could take its toll.

Heavy traffic doesn't hardly upset the remaining range of my Tesla Model S. If anything blocked interstate lowers the per-mile consumption vs steady 75 MPH.

Reactions: djb
As with most things in life there are times when EV's make a lot of sense and others where they make very little. Differences in life experience and perspective mean there will always be arguments between those for and against.

I agree a hybrid is an excellent solution here and in MANY cases where a strictly electric powered car doesn't make sense.

Thanks, I thought the Camry hybrid was a better fit.

It will be interesting to see how other Uber drivers feel about using an EV for taxi service. I would bet a long range Model S (100KWh battery) would only need one 30-40 min charge per day. But a $102,000 car is prob not destined for Uber use 😂

The Model S used to be very popular for heavy Uber drivers. It included free charging in the price, and had plenty of range to allow planning the charging time as a break.

The high purchase price doesn't make sense for the lower-hour Uber driver, where the Prius was ubiquitous. But for someone putting in long hours, offering a luxury vehicle ride with zero fuel cost was a huge win.

An EV is at its best in stop-and-go traffic. The biggest hit to the range is using the A/C, but that's expensive in a gas car as well. It's likely that the Kona doesn't have an especially efficient A/C so it might be an issue in hot weather.

As for long trips or long days with a Kona, the charging performance is going to cost revenue. The Kona is quite slow on both AC (only 7.2 kW) and DCFC (fast charge). It might be fine for a casual driver that puts in 2-3 hours for a little extra cash, but there are far better EVs for someone doing Uber as a full time job. Don't take this anecdote as representative of EVs.

Heavy traffic doesn't hardly upset the remaining range of my Tesla Model S. If anything blocked interstate lowers the per-mile consumption vs steady 75 MPH.
That seems to match my Uber experience in the Kona. But highway speeds and the long hills really killed the range

Back