Kohler Courage 20hp Spark Plug Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace to OE Champion RC12YC in my 20hp Kohler Courage. Was wondering what would be a better plug than the Champion?

I doubt you will see any change in performance by replacing plug from NGK to Champion, I would not hesitate to use the Champions again.

Love NGK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to run them over a fresh set of OEM Champs for a Kohler OPE engine.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Love NGK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to run them over a fresh set of OEM Champs for a Kohler OPE engine.

+1 on that, I use both Champion and NGK, whichever is convenient at the time, never a problem. I keep hearing Champion is junk, but in over 40 years, I've yet to see it in the real world of OE use.

The OE Champion lasted about 20hrs so I guess I will give an NGK a try and see if it can last longer.

A plug with 20 hours should be immaculately like new. If it's shot, there something else wrong with the engine, either extreme overheating or extremely lean carburetion.

NGK all the way especially if you can get the Iridium IX ones they really work nice in an engine.
Trust me you will never look back after purchasing an NGK spark plug

Originally Posted By: LX289
NGK all the way especially if you can get the Iridium IX ones they really work nice in an engine.

Those are excellent plugs. However, they're not the proper choice for this particular engine.

Please see my link in the first reply on this thread for the correct model.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My best all around performance has been to use the same model plug that the manufactures uses.

Oh No! I have to stick with the Chinese Torch brand spark plug that my snow blower came with and not use the NGK plug I bought
confused2.gif
Just kidding! Though so far the Torch plug has worked ok. When I have problems I'll replace it with the NGK I have. I would not spend $6 for a Torch plug versus $2.50 for a NGK plug.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: JasonC
The OE Champion lasted about 20hrs so I guess I will give an NGK a try and see if it can last longer.

Like bubba said above, if these were indeed the OEM Champions, they should have lasted 10x that amount of hours on a newer Kohler like this, provided all is well with the engine and upkeep .

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A plug with 20 hours should be immaculately like new. If it's shot, there something else wrong with the engine, either extreme overheating or extremely lean carburetion.

Yeah boy! If a plug only goes that long, especially with electronic ignition, then you got other problems for sure.

I use the Manufacture Champion in my 20 HP B&S twin. At 100 hours, they still look very good. Maybe this Kohler model is very hard on plugs (20 Hours)or the engine has problems?
Ed

Engine has always started right up and ran fine. No smoke or odd noises. Last two times I cut the grass it was hard to start but ran fine once started. Pulled the plug the other night and it is looking a little on the foul side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back