Kohler Command Pro 28 EFI - Using Oil.

Got a friend with a 72" exmark zero turn. He takes it for service and they use "what the manufacture recommends" for oil and filter. It gets used for approx 2.5 - 3 hrs each time and the engine needs to work its tail off to mow with a 72" deck. I beleive it should have been a 35HP minimum.

He purchased it with 19 hrs. It now has 191 hrs. Is it normal for these to take a quart of oil ever 4 mowings?

Would there be any benefit to install a super large oil cooler? I dont even see one on it.

Since you don't know what oil they are using and its likely bulk automotive oil - which is inadequate. - I would run this
and report back. If it burns on this it has worn guides or stems or rings. at 191hrs on wrong oil It may be getting to end of service life. Hope not.

qs25w40.jpg

I don't think 28 horsepower is enough for a 72" deck unless you mow very often. He's probably running it hard and needs to step up to a heavier grade. You can run 15W-50/20W-50 in those engines no problem. One quart every 10-12 hours of mowing isn't the end of the world either way.

It's when you forget to add that quart and just keep mowing that is the problem.

My Kawasaki carbed engine on my zero turn was burning some oil, but not as much as your friends Kohler, after about 100 hours (which seems to be a common complaint with them.) I had been running a 40W oil to reduce consumption. In an attempt to clean up a dirty carburetor I dumped a bottle of Gumout Regane and a bottle of Berrymans B-12 Chemtool in the gas, and afterwards I noticed that the oil consumption was significantly reduced. I suspect the piston rings had carboned up and the additives freed them up. YMMV.

I think its a torque problem not a HP issue. My kubota is 21 hp diesel moving a 1400 lb tractor with a 60" belly mower and towing an offset 48" trail mower. Mowing 5 ac a week and currently at 950 hr with no oil consumption.

Try a good 15w40 or --W50 oil. Hard to say what weight but I'm thinking they put a 10w30 wt in the crankcase. That engine should not be burning oil unless it was not broke in properly.

Have a Kawasaki FH500V (17HP) on my 36" wright stander mower, it has 1500 hours on it now, has always had some sort of Rotella 15-40, 5-40 or M1 Euro 0-40. It doesn't use any oil. Have a 28HP B&S commercial turf on my Ferris 61" ZTR, only 155 hours on it but it doesn't use any oil, it has always had M1 E0-40 or RP 5-30HPS.

Make sure the blades are sharp and the deck is clean. Make sure the shroud over the engine is clean. If it gets plugged with grass clippings the engine will run HOT. I would also switch to a thicker oil. The marine oil suggested above would be a great choice.

I'm not sure if I agree with others' assertions that 28hp is underpowered. At 2.667 inches of deck width per horse power, it's the same power to deck ratio as my 48" 18hp garden tractor. Sure, there might be some differences between the units relative to their size, but my 18hp is still more than adequate for up to a moderately heavy yard.

Move to a 15w40 or 15w50 and try it over. Also check the breather to see if it's pushing oil out for any reason.

Also cheap and easy would be to try what another member suggested - try a cleaner in the gas

The owner trailers the mower to the dealer every time it needs an oil change?

That's more remarkable to me than a quart being consumed every ~12 acres. That's probably 15 gallons or better of fuel being used for an engine that size powering a 6ft cutting deck.

Kind of nuts not to have a diesel for this kind of duty.

The owner trailers the mower to the dealer every time it needs an oil change?

That's more remarkable to me than a quart being consumed every ~12 acres. That's probably 15 gallons or better of fuel being used for an engine that size powering a 6ft cutting deck.

Kind of nuts not to have a diesel for this kind of duty.

No doubt. It gets taken in for all maint. Blades, grease, belts, spark plugs, air filter, etc

• Wow
Reactions: JTK
Kindly hand over the mower to me , im sure you just need another one.

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
I'm not sure if I agree with others' assertions that 28hp is underpowered. At 2.667 inches of deck width per horse power, it's the same power to deck ratio as my 48" 18hp garden tractor. Sure, there might be some differences between the units relative to their size, but my 18hp is still more than adequate for up to a moderately heavy yard.

Move to a 15w40 or 15w50 and try it over. Also check the breather to see if it's pushing oil out for any reason.

Also cheap and easy would be to try what another member suggested - try a cleaner in the gas

I agree with you on the HP thing, but variances in how it's used and what type of mowing it does makes up the difference. I'm not saying this is what this owner does, but mashing the deck down to the ground and expecting it to cut more than 4" of grass would tax the heck out of that V-twin. Couple that with hills or long inclines working the hydro drives / hydraulics, plus damp or wet grass.

I'm not really a fan of Kohler V-twins to begin with. They're good runners and parts aren't bad to come by. They all seem to burn oil and leak oil before 1000hrs.

Back