Kobalt or Husky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears had small metric US made socket sets last weekend for $25. Sizes 5.5-19 with a 3/8" ratchet and 3/8" to 1/4" adapter all inside a nice blow mold case.

If only other US made tools were this reasonably priced.

Thrift shops, flea markets and CL seem to be a good alternative if you dont mind used.

I might be kicking at the hornets nest here, but what is the difference between Kobalt/ Husky and HF?

I realize some might be made in Taiwan, but some HF stuff is too. If you look at their site, they have 2 lines of teardrop ratchets. 1 of which is online only. Taiwan perhaps?

Between the two brands, I would go with Kobalt. They seem to change manufacturers and suppliers less than Husky. Most of the stuff from Kobalt is made in Taiwan where Husky is mostly China now. And yes, there is a big difference there. Taiwan really does turn out some great stuff these days. China has improved slightly but is no where near the quality level of Taiwan. A lot of Matco's tools are made in Taiwan now, just to give you an example of the quality they can produce.

As for the people suggesting Harbor freight, no way. Everything you try to return or warranty through HF requires a receipt, even basic hand tools. Home depot, lowes, napa and craftsman do not require it so long as it is clearly identifiable as their brand tool.

Originally Posted By: AMC
As for the people suggesting Harbor freight, no way. Everything you try to return or warranty through HF requires a receipt, even basic hand tools. Home depot, lowes, napa and craftsman do not require it so long as it is clearly identifiable as their brand tool.

So keep an envelop with your receipts? Also, I have talked to a few workers at the local store who do warranty exchanges without receipts. As far as returns without receipts, they give you in store credit.

One foreign made tool to the next and people still knock HF tools. That is one thing on this forum I will never understand.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
So keep an envelop with your receipts? Also, I have talked to a few workers at the local store who do warranty exchanges without receipts. As far as returns without receipts, they give you in store credit.

One foreign made tool to the next and people still knock HF tools. That is one thing on this forum I will never understand.

Holding on to every receipt is P.I.T.A. Plus, the toner that most stores including harbor freight use for their receipts only lasts a few years.

Besides that, the quality of Kobalt is better anyways. For example, the sockets and screw drivers fit the fasteners tighter. The finish is nicer and more durable, Etc...

Also there are way more Lowes nationwide than there are harbor freights. My local area did not have at all harbor freight until earlier this year.

Sure none of the foreign made tools are snap on quality but you might as well get the best you can get if it is going to be foreign. That is what the OP was asking for help with.

Just a data point.

I was shopping for a heavy duty breaker bar 1/2" drive. Kobalt had the most material in the handle, especially around the pivot... the area that will usually break if you use a cheater pipe.

Everyone else had smaller handles and not as much material in that area.

I personally haven't seen too much Kobalt stuff that I thought was any good. I do have a ratcheting screwdriver from them, that I like just OK. Husky on the other hand, has some pretty decent stuff. Kobalt stuff is heavy and thick to make up for weak materials. I do have a neighbor who bought a bunch of HF sockets, the colored ones, and a bunch of other socket tools, and I must say, they're not bad. I don't mean they're the quality of SO or other top end stuff, but they do the same thing, and all you have to do with HF stuff is walk in and ask for a replacement and they hand it over, no questions asked. Hard to beat that. I even bought a set of the Pittsburg Pro screwdrivers, and so far, I like them better than my Kleins, and use them far more. We'll see how they hold up. To be honest, I've never broken a Klein, Milwaukee, Craftsman, or HF screwdriver, so as long as they remove screws, even damaged ones, and don't cam out, why would I pay $13 for a single expensive driver when I can pay a couple of bucks for one that does the same thing.

Kobalt has more singles if you need a quick replacement. Kobalt, Husky and Craftsman are all about equal now having some good from each and some low quality junk. Look and feel them then decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back