Known sludge mills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebc

Greetings,
I am considering a new Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Are the current engines known oil grinders? I know some of the older Camry engines were prone to sludging.
Thanks,
ebc

I've heard the celicas can be sludgers, but interestingly not the corollas.......despite having the same engine.
rolleyes.gif

nah! These are all extremely "exaggerated".

Granted, you maintin your car well (4~5K OCI, good quality dino/sync oil), the possibility of sludging is remote to almost non-existent.

Also: consider doing a proper tuneup and replace your PCV valve once every 2 years (has to be original factory ones) and you'll be home-free.

I had a '91 toyota 2.0L (in a camry) that was a sludge monster -- but it still ran strong at 210k miles depite the fact that I often neglected it.

shouldn't matter what car the engine is in.

quote:

posted by Raven:

I've heard the celicas can be sludgers, but interestingly not the corollas.......despite having the same engine.

The 1.8 liter engine in the Celica is NOT the same engine that is in the Corolla...

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:

quote:

posted by Raven:

The 1.8 liter engine in the Celica is NOT the same engine that is in the Corolla...

The Celica GT and Corolla do have the same engine. The GT-S does have a different engine, but the GT is much more common.

quote:

posted by Raven:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bill:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted by Raven:

The Celica GT and Corolla do have the same engine. The GT-S does have a different engine, but the GT is much more common.

Raven,

If you read this link:

Sludge Zone

You will see that the engine in the Celica that was listed as a sludger is the 2.2 liter from 1996 to 1999,
this is the same engine that is in the Camry,
the 1.8 liter that was available in the Celica up until 1997 is a belt driven engine with 105 hp, the 1.8 liter in the Corolla’s & Prizm’s is a chain driven engine that started with 120 hp in 1998 and increased in horsepower until 2003.
The 1.8 liter that was available again in the Celica starting in 2000 is not the same engine that was available in 1997, the current 1.8 liter is not listed as a sludger unless there is an updated list of Toyota sludgers.

Thanks for the responses. Am I to assume that Honda stuff is immune from excessive sludging? The new 1.8 liter looks interesting. I want to see what they have done with the 2.0 L Si engine.
Regards,
ebc

This is more of a scare, I have seen Toyota engines regularly cross 300,000+ miles and would rate them as reliable and durable as Honda engines, only less exciting to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back