Knife sharpening for a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Errtt
I used to use a Lansky knife sharpening kit and it did well. Uses a metal blade clamp and has fixed angles for the stone rods to keep the angles desired.
Now I just use a stone and oil because after years and many knife sharpening, I wore out the Lansky, and just got used to the stones/oil.

I also use a lansky, but i find it hard to use for large kitchen knives. Its also hard to use on really small pen knives. on medium size pocket knives, its great.

I simply use a stone to get the knives sharp, and a steel to keep them sharp. No special gadgets, it's really quite simple.

I use a 1x42 belt sander with various grits of belts as well as a leather belt to get my blades razor sharp. I maintain my blades with Friedr **** steels.

I found the Spyderco Sharpmaker to be a worthwhile investment for sharpening all different kinds of knives. Just takes a few minutes to learn how to use it, well worth the $50-60 I paid for it 5 or 6 years ago.

I do the same only I have a 1x30 inch belt. My daughter is a pastry chef for a well know restaurant in Chicago. I was sharpening her knives for her and I was getting a super polished sharp edge on the blades. She hated them. For her work, all I need to do is a few light passes with a 20 micron grit belt which leaves somewhat of a jagged edge. For her application, working mostly on citrus and other fruits, this works out best for her.

I was a "meat cutter" after high school in a production shop. We used, and wore out, quality knives.

I like using a quality steel. But they don't give a razor sharp edge, just a usable edge, and that's good enough for production work.

For precision work, I'd use a stone and a strap. It's not hard and it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back