Knife for a gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many at this point, but my daily has been an Emerson Gentleman Jim. US made folder, with Ti liner lock, G10 scales, 154cm blade (easy to sharpen) and wave feature. It was actually a gift and I use it every day. Even "pimped" it out with a Titanium thumb stud.

Last edited by a moderator:
After losing a few Benchmades, I started buying Spydercos just because they're cheaper (of course I never lose the cheap ones). If you're less prone to them falling out of you're pocket in the woods I would strongly recommend a Benchmade 940. If you're looking form something cheaper, I really like my Spydero Delica 4.

If you are intent of spending $250 then read no further. I recently purchased a Ferrum Forge designed knife called "Gent" from Massdrop. It has a 3" drop point blade of S35VN steel, titanium liners, G10 scales, and ceramic ball bearing pivot and ceramic detent ball. It is way more knife than the $80 price indicates. It's a flipper that deploys so smoothly and consistently you'd think it was an assisted opener. Really a beautiful piece for the money.

Here is a (lousy) pic of some of my Spydercos and Zero Tolerances. These are all priced in the low $100's to around $200 when I purchased them.
You expressed interest in the Spyderco Military. The 2nd and 3rd down on left hand side (green and purple scales) are Militarys. Be sure you like a larger knife before pulling the trigger on one of those. I personally prefer the shorter paramilitary for EDC (4th and 5th down on left column).
In general, Zero Tolerance models tend to be on the larger side. Just be aware of size/weight before purchasing any brand/model.

20181220_092404.jpg

Benchmade bugout is my new favorite carry. Super light weight. It weighs like 2 ounces but looks like it should weigh about 4 ounces. I carry it everyday and almost forget it's there it's so light.

Before that I carried a Spyderco Delica for 10 years. It's the ultimate daily carry utility knife in my opinion.

I have a Spyderco paramilitary and love it as well, bit it's bigger than I want to carry most days. I carry it perhaps 3 days a month.

When I was growing up, if you had a Buck knife, you had "something". I know there are a lot of knife makers out there, some with really nice price ($$$$$) tags too. Maybe it's nostalgia back to an earlier, simpler time for me but I just ordered each of my sons a Buck Vanguard fixed-blade hunting knife for Christmas (https://www.buckknives.com/product/vanguard-knife/0192FAM01/). Buck has been around a long time and is still going strong. I know they do make some of their knives in China now, but a lot of their offerings are still made in the USA. I've still got one of the iconic Buck folders with the leather belt sheath that was so prevalent in the 60's and 70's (and still available in some forms to this day). I used it as I started my career as a lineman for a local utility. Still holds an edge just fine and still going strong. They're good knives with decent pricing. What's not to like? And no, I'm not a spokesman for Buck knives. Just a satisfied Buck brand knife (knives) owner for fifty plus years.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I think it's hard to go wrong with a Case.

$250 would get you one of their more exotic patterns, or otherwise would get you a nice "classic" pattern(the Medium Stockman is, IMO, about as classic as you get) in Damascus steel or something else interesting.

If someone bought me a Case, I would "politely" smile and offer a "thanks", and then throw it in a drawer never to see day light again.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
If you are intent of spending $250 then read no further. I recently purchased a Ferrum Forge designed knife called "Gent" from Massdrop. It has a 3" drop point blade of S35VN steel, titanium liners, G10 scales, and ceramic ball bearing pivot and ceramic detent ball. It is way more knife than the $80 price indicates. It's a flipper that deploys so smoothly and consistently you'd think it was an assisted opener. Really a beautiful piece for the money.

Never had a "good" pocket knife, so this thread has gotten me interested.

This Gent looks like a pretty cool blade for the $$, but, unfortunately, it looks like it's not available right now over on Massdrop.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

This Gent looks like a pretty cool blade for the $$, but, unfortunately, it looks like it's not available right now over on Massdrop.

With all the positive reviews the knife has received I don't think it will be long before there is another drop.

With all the positive reviews the knife has received I don't think it will be long before there is another drop.[/quote]

Cool. I signed up for them to email me when it's back in.

Question: Has anyone used Benchmade's sharpening service? They say if you buy one of their knives, they will sharpen it for free, as long as you own it.

I'm just wondering, not knowing anything about Benchmade, how well they actually sharpen the knife when you use that service.

If they do a great job, it sounds like it would be worth it, especially if you had one of their knives with some of the so-called "supersteel" with the very high carbon content that is very hard and not easy to sharpen.

But then there's also part of me that wants to learn to sharpen a knife properly. I just wonder how much of a time and money investment it is, to get what's needed to sharpen a good knife steel to its potential.

With all the positive reviews the knife has received I don't think it will be long before there is another drop.

Another drop just hit this morning, but I was disappointed to see that the price has now gone up by $19 to $99. The current version does offer a choice of either carbon or rosewood scales, but that $80 price point was what really got my attention.

Another drop just hit this morning, but I was disappointed to see that the price has now gone up by $19 to $99. The current version does offer a choice of either carbon or rosewood scales, but that $80 price point was what really got my attention.

The $99 version is the Gent "Select" and the only difference appears to be the scale material. The one I purchased has OD green G10 scales. I'm sure they'll eventually have another drop for the regular version.

Thank you all for everything! I ended up getting this.......https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-military-fluted-titanium

I like it a lot and its much bigger than any other folder I have!

Question: Has anyone used Benchmade's sharpening service? They say if you buy one of their knives, they will sharpen it for free, as long as you own it.

I'm just wondering, not knowing anything about Benchmade, how well they actually sharpen the knife when you use that service.

If they do a great job, it sounds like it would be worth it, especially if you had one of their knives with some of the so-called "supersteel" with the very high carbon content that is very hard and not easy to sharpen.

But then there's also part of me that wants to learn to sharpen a knife properly. I just wonder how much of a time and money investment it is, to get what's needed to sharpen a good knife steel to its potential.

I have friends that love Benchmade. They have not used this service however.....Benchmade is known for their customer service. So if you were happy with the factory edge then this sounds great. However most of the time you can put a better edge than what comes on the knife from the factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back