Knife for a gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mcrn
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Question: Has anyone used Benchmade's sharpening service? They say if you buy one of their knives, they will sharpen it for free, as long as you own it.

I'm just wondering, not knowing anything about Benchmade, how well they actually sharpen the knife when you use that service.

If they do a great job, it sounds like it would be worth it, especially if you had one of their knives with some of the so-called "supersteel" with the very high carbon content that is very hard and not easy to sharpen.

But then there's also part of me that wants to learn to sharpen a knife properly. I just wonder how much of a time and money investment it is, to get what's needed to sharpen a good knife steel to its potential.

I have friends that love Benchmade. They have not used this service however.....Benchmade is known for their customer service. So if you were happy with the factory edge then this sounds great. However most of the time you can put a better edge than what comes on the knife from the factory.

I don't own a Benchmade. I've just been considering one, and one of the reasons was that free sharpening service, especially if I ended up going with one of those "supersteels" that are notoriously hard/frustrating to sharpen.

Went ahead and ordered the Ferrum Forge "Gent". It'll be interesting to see if the quality and fit/finish lives up to the hype.

Originally Posted by Sierra048
When I was growing up, if you had a Buck knife, you had "something". I know there are a lot of knife makers out there, some with really nice price ($$$$$) tags too. Maybe it's nostalgia back to an earlier, simpler time for me but I just ordered each of my sons a Buck Vanguard fixed-blade hunting knife for Christmas (https://www.buckknives.com/product/vanguard-knife/0192FAM01/). Buck has been around a long time and is still going strong. I know they do make some of their knives in China now, but a lot of their offerings are still made in the USA. I've still got one of the iconic Buck folders with the leather belt sheath that was so prevalent in the 60's and 70's (and still available in some forms to this day). I used it as I started my career as a lineman for a local utility. Still holds an edge just fine and still going strong. They're good knives with decent pricing. What's not to like? And no, I'm not a spokesman for Buck knives. Just a satisfied Buck brand knife (knives) owner for fifty plus years.

A lot of folks seem to turn their noses up at Buck knives. I'm not one of them. I suppose some feel that spending hundreds of dollars on a knife to get some exotic steel is somehow a worthy endeavor. It is for the knife makers, that's for sure. Just come to the Blade Show in Atlanta in June, and you'll see what I mean.

I've got a 2-line Model 110 and a Buck Special, now the 119, from 1969, before they started stamping the model number into the blade. Both have been 'retired' for some time. Started carrying a 112 FG as EDC when they first came out and haven't looked back. I've had a couple of them 'walk off' over the years, but easily replaced them for a LOT less than these mighty-pricey ones. Have a 119 in each vehicle as part of the emergency kit, and a 105 in my 'to go' bag.

Now Buck seems to have a 'custom shop' where you can special order many of their fixed blades, along with the 110 and 112 with things like higher end steel, satin or bright polished, cerakoted, brass or nickel bolsters, and different handle materials.
https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/

Originally Posted by HouseTiger
Originally Posted by Sierra048
When I was growing up, if you had a Buck knife, you had "something". I know there are a lot of knife makers out there, some with really nice price ($$$$$) tags too. Maybe it's nostalgia back to an earlier, simpler time for me but I just ordered each of my sons a Buck Vanguard fixed-blade hunting knife for Christmas (https://www.buckknives.com/product/vanguard-knife/0192FAM01/). Buck has been around a long time and is still going strong. I know they do make some of their knives in China now, but a lot of their offerings are still made in the USA. I've still got one of the iconic Buck folders with the leather belt sheath that was so prevalent in the 60's and 70's (and still available in some forms to this day). I used it as I started my career as a lineman for a local utility. Still holds an edge just fine and still going strong. They're good knives with decent pricing. What's not to like? And no, I'm not a spokesman for Buck knives. Just a satisfied Buck brand knife (knives) owner for fifty plus years.

A lot of folks seem to turn their noses up at Buck knives. I'm not one of them. I suppose some feel that spending hundreds of dollars on a knife to get some exotic steel is somehow a worthy endeavor. It is for the knife makers, that's for sure. Just come to the Blade Show in Atlanta in June, and you'll see what I mean.

I've got a 2-line Model 110 and a Buck Special, now the 119, from 1969, before they started stamping the model number into the blade. Both have been 'retired' for some time. Started carrying a 112 FG as EDC when they first came out and haven't looked back. I've had a couple of them 'walk off' over the years, but easily replaced them for a LOT less than these mighty-pricey ones. Have a 119 in each vehicle as part of the emergency kit, and a 105 in my 'to go' bag.

Now Buck seems to have a 'custom shop' where you can special order many of their fixed blades, along with the 110 and 112 with things like higher end steel, satin or bright polished, cerakoted, brass or nickel bolsters, and different handle materials.
https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/

I had Bucks custom shop build me a 112 with finger grooves, mirror steel, initials on the tang with nickel bolsters in Cherry. It's a gorgeous little knife in a custom case along with my 110 and 55. I also have a 50th anniversary 119 in Cocobola wood. Buck makes great reasonably priced unpretentious knives with a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
If someone bought me a Case, I would "politely" smile and offer a "thanks", and then throw it in a drawer never to see day light again.

Out of curiosity, why?

I know that their styling isn't in line with a lot of more modern "tacticool" makes, but they still make a solid, made in the USA product in a variety of good quality steels.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Originally Posted by bubbatime
If someone bought me a Case, I would "politely" smile and offer a "thanks", and then throw it in a drawer never to see day light again.

Out of curiosity, why?

I know that their styling isn't in line with a lot of more modern "tacticool" makes, but they still make a solid, made in the USA product in a variety of good quality steels.

My knife needs require easy one handed opening, durable locking mechanism, and some ergonomics. Case isn't even in the ball park, for my needs.

I'm surprised you had the pivot loosen, When I got mine the reviews indicated that the manufacturer had started using thread locker during initial assembly some time ago. I play with mine constantly and have had no loosening after nearly two months. But, it's easy enough to remedy the issue. I think this is a lot of knife for the money and have found it to have exceptional edge retention. It's also spoiled me from being able to think 8Cr13MoV is good steel. (For beater knives you don't mind sharpening frequently, it is, but S35VN takes a keener edge and retains it for much longer.)

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I'm surprised you had the pivot loosen, When I got mine the reviews indicated that the manufacturer had started using thread locker during initial assembly some time ago. I play with mine constantly and have had no loosening after nearly two months. But, it's easy enough to remedy the issue. I think this is a lot of knife for the money and have found it to have exceptional edge retention. It's also spoiled me from being able to think 8Cr13MoV is good steel. (For beater knives you don't mind sharpening frequently, it is, but S35VN takes a keener edge and retains it for much longer.)

I'm enjoying it! I cut up some cardboard just for the heck of it yesterday. Fun stuff. Definitely the best pocket knife and the best blade and edge I've ever had, by far!

I'm going to order some whetstones and maybe look into making a strop this week or next. I'd like to learn to sharpen. Not on this, though. I have a couple of cheap knives I'll learn on.

Thanks again for your suggestion of the Gent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back