Kitchen Appliance Packages

Looking to preemptively replace and update appliances from 2004.

Is there any preferred brand like GE or Frigidaire, etc which is more robust and reliable for a rental house?

Looking for a package for fridge, range and dishwasher, planning to check out Lowe's, HD, Best Buy and Costco.

Is there any other online vendor which should be checked out?

If anyone has bought recently, appreciate their valuable feedback, thank you.

For a rental property, I wouldn't replace unless the appliance requires it. For example, ranges can last 20-30 years with minimal maintenance and repair. I generally prefer Whirlpool appliances overall. Frigidaire might be a second choice.

Have had extreme bad luck around 2004 with GE refrigerators, so I shy away from that brand. Their ranges seem to be fine as one property I own has one over 20 years old and shows no signs of needing replacement. Have had good luck with Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwashers.

Ditto the other comments - unless they are broken now or the sole reason to replace them is to update looks, I wouldn't bother at all on a rental property. And if you are buying lower end stuff, reality is that all of it is basically the same - throwaway stuff these days.

If you have a local appliance dealer who works with builders, designers, etc... that would be another outlet. Around here, I use All, Inc. Salespeople who really know their stuff, a nice showroom, and pretty easy to work with. My 2 cents...

GE and Whirlpool is who we like. We used to like Kenmore as well before Sears closed but as long as it’s not a Samsung it will be fine. Though I wouldn’t replace them if their is nothing wrong with them.

Thank you everyone, all 3 are functional and don't look dated or anything. For some reason noticed a small water drip underneath the fridge on the hardwood floor and thought to replace all of them

Might just go ahead and shut the water supply/ice maker and continue to use the fridge, till it dies and then replace everything as a set - might be in few months or years!

I'm also for whirlpool brands. Our appliances are kitchen aid (Whirlpool) and washer and dryer are Kenmore (whirlpool made). Parts are easier to get.

I'd just be buying the basic stuff for rental units or look at used or scratch and dent. Sears used to have those clearance places with a lot of scratch and dent appliances.

NO GE- they are crusing on their name- for instance the scroll on the icemaker is made of thin clear plastic. When it has an ice jam, it brakes off-
now you have a piece of plastic whith sharp edges in your ice. Why don't they at least make the scroll out of a bright colored material?
Had a GE side by side until it quit again. Replaced with a Whirlpool - very satisfied'
For a rental- no icemaker, let them buy & use ice trays - one less thing to go wrong

I just typically just get Frigidaire. They seem to sell a lot of them. Basically have them in all my rentals. It's basically the luck of the draw, I've had some that lasted 10+ years and then a few died after 5 years and the worst one was one that died a little over 2 years. Out of even the extended 1 year visa warranty. If the refrigerator is less than 5 years old or so and I can fix them, I fix them. Typically if the gasket is gone, I get a replacement gasket or handle if they get broken. Only time to freshen them up would be when it's empty and it's looking a little dated. I always get the standard 18 cu feet fridge with the glass shelves. I skip the icemaker, just more things to break and leak.

They all pretty much have about the same price. I used to like getting appliances at Lowes because if they had it in stock, you'd get it the next day if you ordered by 2 or 3pm. Lately with the pandemic, some of the cheap stuff has been wiped out so by the time Lowes got it in stock, Home Depot could deliver it quicker. Best Buy isn't bad if you need a dishwasher installed, you can buy an installation package that includes it. Sears wrote their own death warrant a long time ago. I used to just buy Kenmore and knew the sales guy at the local Sears. Then they got rid of free delivery so it was an extra $75. Home Depot and Lowes kept their free delivery and it was the same price so it was automatically lower. That was the end of Sears and I haven't bought any appliances from them in years. Primarily Lowes, Home Depot normally takes a couple of weeks to ship and Best Buy is usually at least a week.

If you have a Brandsmart near you they are a good option too and they have pre-bundled packages so you don't have to go pick and choose every piece like HD.

Be warned since pandemic the lead time on getting replacements has gone from days to months on most if not all brands. I thought my fridge kicked the bucket 2 weeks before Thanksgiving so I started shopping around, earliest they could get me a set that I wanted was 1+ month. Fortunately is started cooling again at some point the following day so I have just been crossing my fingers it hangs on.

How much does the aesthetics of matched appliances matter in this rental?
In general potential renters don't look that closely at the appliances. So if you've got white or black or stainless, just keep them all the same color and it's fine.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I am leaning towards just unplugging water and leaving some ice cube trays in the freezer.

If need be, will get mismatched brands but same colors and replace them on as-need basis.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I am leaning towards just unplugging water and leaving some ice cube trays in the freezer.

If need be, will get mismatched brands but same colors and replace them on as-need basis.

The only downside to that, if you care much, is that an unused icemaker/dispenser takes up a lot of space...

I personally really like the chilled, filtered water. Ice from a dispenser I could do without, barring above.

Also be careful if the renter might hook up water on their own...

Did you remodel the unit? If not just leave it alone.

I don't see any particular brand that is better outside of GE/Whirlpool/other major American brands for the basic design. I do know to stay away from Samsung and LG for a rental, they can be a bit fragile if not taken care of correctly. Fancy features won't get you extra rent per month.

Back