Kirkland FS 5w-30, 3000 hard miles, 2019 Honda Civic Type-R

for multiple track days on a timing chain engine that is still rather young and possibly breaking in, i'd say these results are fantastic on a cheap house brand oil, particularly iron. just my opinion, but i'd probably keep rolling with a 30wt on the street/mountains and then load up on an A40 specced 0W-40 for track work. you'll get a bit more viscosity headroom and a stout HTHS rating, but those oils aren't SO thick that you're on the deep end of 40wt territory.

hope you're enjoying your R by the way, coming from a fellow Honda fan. they are incredibly capable for a FWD car.

The UOA looks fine based on your use. I run kirkland 5w30 in my kia and it does seem to drop in viscosity but I don't know if it's due to fuel or shearing, since my UOA did not have fuel. People track those cars with 0w20, but not a good idea unless you know what temp its running. It's concerning the car doesn't have an oil temperature sensor, especially for track use and an 0w20 recommendation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230112_085211_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230112_085211_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 48
Very nice report, yet another confirmation to use 5w-30. I have same engine (just not tunned), 0w-20 got bad, yours 5w-30 has better viscosity (more like 0w-20)

WHY cheep out on oil in a spendy little hot rod!!! surely TOO thin for track use!! check out savagegeese's vid the car oil fine print + misconceptions. per his vid as well as machinerylubrication.com its noted how oils continue to thin past the 100C-212F spec, you 30 might be a 20 at best + although issues would not arise until you engines reaches higher miles your slowly KILLING it BUT if you trade often as many do it will be the NEXT owners issue!!
Yeah he had a lot of oils out there if I recall like Schaefer's and red line and a couple other brands. That video by Savage geese was fantastic and it really put a lot of insight. The guy who details all the cars up in the Northeast ammo NYC he did a tour at total factory and they were talking that he needed a different oil because of the racing conditions and the zinc and other anti-wear materials he needed that modern oils don't have. I think it's like an air-cooled Porsche. I can honestly say once you start racing and modifying your car that the type of lubricant you need usually changes either in weight or quality or a little bit of both.

Back