King Charles to appear on Canadian Currency

At least he’s not wearing a crown,

8C0B8FF3-B2F2-443A-8C97-E2BCAD879A9E.jpeg

Citizens expected to like their Kings and Queens are really a recent thing. In the past as long as they are feared all was good. These days without actual military and taxation power they are mainly a "ceremonial" figure. Each country just pick their own and call it a day.

If you think Charles is bad, I think most Thais would wish they would at least have him instead. Their last king was legendary popular and good but his son...... It is what it is.

Citizens expected to like their Kings and Queens are really a recent thing. In the past as long as they are feared all was good. These days without actual military and taxation power they are mainly a "ceremonial" figure. Each country just pick their own and call it a day.

If you think Charles is bad, I think most Thais would wish they would at least have him instead. Their last king was legendary popular and good but his son...... It is what it is.
I am reminded of a classic movie line..

“Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.”

;)

And for what it’s worth there’s a new season of The Crown currently being released on Netflix. Episodes 1-4 are available and more in December. Supposedly the last season.

We did surprisingly well against the Royal Navy in that conflict - the result of an investment 20 years prior in six 42 gun frigates that were technologically superior to anything they had. The Royal Navy had a massive fleet, with over 100 ships of the line, compared with our tiny fleet of frigates, but we weren’t the pushover that they supposed us to be, and the fundamental cause of the conflict was the Royal Navy‘s abuse of American citizens through impressment into service.

British, and Canadians, like to talk about the Chesapeake Campaign and the White House, but not every battle went their way, even though the Empire had the world’s largest professional military and was fighting American Citizens that had been called up or volunteered for war.

The Battle of New Orleans, was a devastating loss for the British Army, who walked into well-prepared defensive American position, full of arrogance, and lost a great deal of their officer corps to well aimed American fire. In the end, the force of 10,000 British soldiers lost nearly 300 killed in action to 13 Americans lost in action.

As was stated above, we made quite a few changes in our military following that conflict.
There's some over here that still call you the colonies. 🫅🇬🇧 just saying

Jesus, Mary, Joseph, B’y. You’ll have to ask da boys on the Rock what day tink. Newfoundland didn’t join Canada until 1949, so their parents might still be partial to Britain. :D
Ever wonder why FDR’s Summer Home was on Campo Bello Island? It had Dominion status. As did Newfoundland and other Present Day Atlantic Provinces. Not part of Canada.

I could be wrong but my understanding was that USA offered them Statehood but they told us ton”Go Pound Salt” and they all joined Canada. 🍁

Back