Kinetik HC800 AGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to get clear information about whether or not this battery could be used to replace a car's main battery. Has anyone ever done it or does anyone here know if it would work properly?

Kinetik HC800

Last edited:
Why would you want to? Only a one year warranty and just 35amp hours. It's just a regular AGM battery. There are other AGM batteries out there that have 3 year warranties or longer. Pepboys sells Champion batteries that are AGM. If it were something like lithium, it might have been interesting.

Despite their claims it doesn't have that much reserve capacity and couldn't be over about 300 cold cranking amps, probably less. It will probably start OK in the summer but forget it below freezing and it will drain faster than normal while parked and wear out fast.

I thought it seemed too good to be true - an AGM battery that could be used as a starting battery for $105. My battery is a little over three years old. It's a "Duracell" from Batteries Plus (made by East Penn). If I use my float charger once a week I can keep it above 10 volts when turning over the engine, but it's on its way out. I guess I'll either replace it with an EverStart Maxx (made by East Penn at my Walmarts) or another Duracell. The EverStart is about $10 less expensive.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I thought it seemed too good to be true - an AGM battery that could be used as a starting battery for $105. My battery is a little over three years old. It's a "Duracell" from Batteries Plus (made by East Penn). If I use my float charger once a week I can keep it above 10 volts when turning over the engine, but it's on its way out. I guess I'll either replace it with an EverStart Maxx (made by East Penn at my Walmarts) or another Duracell. The EverStart is about $10 less expensive.

You should have gotten the Champion AGM battery at Pepboys during black friday. 35% off list price plus the $50 rebate. They're at 25% off now with a $40 rebate. Might go higher in the next few days though, sometimes they increase it just before Christmas.

I thought Johnson made Everstart? Fwiw, I have an almost 3yr old Everstart Max 700cca (5yr warranty) in my ride and it still cranks strong, even on sub freezing mornings like today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359

You should have gotten the Champion AGM battery at Pepboys during black friday. 35% off list price plus the $50 rebate. They're at 25% off now with a $40 rebate. Might go higher in the next few days though, sometimes they increase it just before Christmas.

Pep Boys has very few locations remaining in this area and, as others have stated in various threads, they were never the greatest a far as service went.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I thought Johnson made Everstart? Fwiw, I have an almost 3yr old Everstart Max 700cca (5yr warranty) in my ride and it still cranks strong, even on sub freezing mornings like today.

It is possible that WM has their batteries made by different manufacturers in different regions. All the batteries I've checked out in my area, at multiple WMs, have "EP" at the beginning of the serial number bar code. That includes the ValuePower batteries as well.

It is possible that WM has their batteries made by different manufacturers in different regions. All the batteries I've checked out in my area, at multiple WMs, have "EP" at the beginning of the serial number bar code. That includes the ValuePower batteries as well.

Good point.👠It's not unheard of to have regional suppliers.

The last time I tried a Walmart battery was in 1994. I went through two of them in 18 months in my 89 Honda Accord. I know they are much better now. I wish I could easily get another Panasonic battery (that's what came with my Mazda), but at some point you have to go for convenience. Following advice from this forum I have tried to stick with East Penn made batteries. The best batteries I ever used in the old Accord were Optima Red Tops. One of them lasted six years. The second one was four years old when I wrecked the car. In 23 years I never had a flooded cell battery last more than three years in that car. Now, the Optimas are too expensive and according to several people here they aren't very good since the manufacturing was moved to Mexico. If that's true I'm sure more was changed than just the place of manufacture. Working for a large company myself all I see is the constant race to the bottom - build it as cheaply as possible.

Pep Boys has very few locations remaining in this area and, as others have stated in various threads, they were never the greatest a far as service went.

Never used them for service. They're only good if they have it in stock. If not, go to another store.

Didn't the last time this come up someone figured out that Johnson had the west coast and East Penn had the east coast.

And that battery the OP linked to would be nice to have if you had a powerful audio system installed, would take the work load off the starter battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr

Didn't the last time this come up someone figured out that Johnson had the west coast and East Penn had the east coast.

And that battery the OP linked to would be nice to have if you had a powerful audio system installed, would take the work load off the starter battery.

Could be..I haven't kept pace with batteries the last couple years. I just recall a while back it being Johnson but yeah, you could very well have it right.

OP..I remember the old Red Tops being very reliable but like you I've read that they've gone down hill. There was a time they were considered top of the line though.

Never used them for service. They're only good if they have it in stock. If not, go to another store.

The service I was referring to was not car repair service. I was talking about general customer service. But, I hate going to Auto Zone, too. I'm just not a fan of chain auto parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back