Kids and guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"mindless gun violence." Indeed. Too many mindless folks running around these days.

"They actually broke the frame around it. Reached their hand through the glass and unlocked it from inside," Andrew Mason explained.

Anyone that breaks into my properties while I'm there will be held at bay with proper hardware.
Sometimes would-be attackers simply run away while pooping their panties.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Be careful it seems as though any discussion about firearms gets shut down quite quickly.

Some of the recent threads talk about gun laws, and how they need to be changed, but that is political since the politicians make the laws, and politics are not allowed.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Gun control advocates would be appalled at the idea of a citizen defending themselves with a gun. Apparently they would rather have the household members call 911 so that the police can show up after the invasion take a report.

It's bizarre. Consciously planning on folks 3-30 minutes away when you know if you ever need a gun you'll need it right now.

Yep. When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

There is no substitute for common sense. As garak pointed out a gun is harmless even when loaded until a person puts it in their hands. So properly educating the person who has the gun is the only way to have responsible gun owners.
Outlawing guns isn't an answer. All that does is make criminals of anyone who has a gun,which is nonsense.
I have loaded guns in my home. They hurt no one til the trigger is pulled. Educate the trigger man.

Originally Posted By: Garak
At the farm, we had several firearms laying around. They weren't locked up. They weren't loaded, and the ammunition wasn't right beside them.
Even an unsecured and fully loaded firearm isn't going to do anything dangerous unless someone picks it up and does something dangerous with it. If you keep your mitts off it, it won't harm anyone, ever.

I am probably much older school. Guns around..not locked up.

I have said this many times people that have guns in most cases are not capable of using them safely. They are not properly taught and have not developed the correct mindset (respect). Go into any gun store and watch customers handle the weapon. 90% will swipe the salesperson or others in the store. And don't tell me I am wrong. I have watched it for many years.That tells me the overwhelming number of folks shouldn't own guns. Just an opinion which few on here would support.

I have had several salespersons tell me that they rarely see people like ne who doesn't swipe them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Too many mindless folks running around these days.

I think that sums up the issue nicely!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
I have said this many times people that have guns in most cases are not capable of using them safely. They are not properly taught and have not developed the correct mindset (respect). Go into any gun store and watch customers handle the weapon. 90% will swipe the salesperson or others in the store.

Right, education and mindset are the issue. If I swiped my dad, I'd have been the one harmed with a backhand. And, if I was playing with one of the firearms, it would have been a lot worse. Now, that isn't being mean or too much of a disciplinarian. I was given more than enough opportunity to use firearms by him to my heart's content. Heck, when we had gopher epidemics in some of those years, I was handed the .22 and some boxes of ammo and told to get to work.

My apologies for double posting, but I'd also like to add that when I was a kid, we all got our first personal firearms at 8-10 years old. It was a given that a male member of your family had already been teaching you RESPONSIBLE firearms usage for years at that point, and taken you shooting. For the farmer's kids, you could subtract a year or 3.

It was also not uncommon for several of us to go out on our own into the woods with our guns and practice or hunt, unsupervised by adults. Nobody ever got shot.

Growing up, home was a place with an oven/stove that could burn and kill me, kerosene heater and fireplace that could burn the whole house down if not properly started and tended, chemicals that could burn my skin off, tools that could injure or kill me in a bunch of different ways, etc. I never suffered any permanent injury or death due to these hazards because my parents and elders taught me how to use these things properly, as well as a healthy respect for their capability to cause harm.

For me to hear of a child killing themselves with a household firearm is a failure in parenting.

The idea that children need to be make ignorant of hazards is plainly stupid. Especially when that hazard can be a life saving tool if wielded correctly and responsibly.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
My apologies for double posting, but I'd also like to add that when I was a kid, we all got our first personal firearms at 8-10 years old. It was a given that a male member of your family had already been teaching you RESPONSIBLE firearms usage for years at that point, and taken you shooting. For the farmer's kids, you could subtract a year or 3.

It was also not uncommon for several of us to go out on our own into the woods with our guns and practice or hunt, unsupervised by adults. Nobody ever got shot.

Growing up, home was a place with an oven/stove that could burn and kill me, kerosene heater and fireplace that could burn the whole house down if not properly started and tended, chemicals that could burn my skin off, tools that could injure or kill me in a bunch of different ways, etc. I never suffered any permanent injury or death due to these hazards because my parents and elders taught me how to use these things properly, as well as a healthy respect for their capability to cause harm.

For me to hear of a child killing themselves with a household firearm is a failure in parenting.

The idea that children need to be make ignorant of hazards is plainly stupid. Especially when that hazard can be a life saving tool if wielded correctly and responsibly.

How did you live with all those dangers around? Maybe a govt employee came around to teach you how to stay safe?
smile.gif

Good instruction, and threat of a healthy ***-whooping.
wink.gif

I guess it's because my parents were raised by people who grew up in a day when there were no afterschool specials, pamphlets, TV advisories, or regulatory agencies to try and educate your children for you.

You either raised a smart kid, or you accepted the consequences.

Now there's agencies that will try to lock you up and take away your kids if you let them walk to the grocery store by themselves.

I remember kids in my school getting their special permits to allow them to drive their tractors on public roads to go pick up supplies, and others who rode their horses to do the same. This was of course, before society decided that children are invalids who can't be trusted to care for themselves or their household.

I'm 31. This was not that long ago.

This was of course, before society decided that children are invalids who can't be trusted to care for themselves or their household.

Kids are the most discriminated against group. Few Rights and a lot of responsibility. A 17yo can make few decisions because they're too young and can't think for themselves. Now if they're 12-13 and commit a serious crime they knew what they were doing adult crime adult time and all that stuff.

That's always been one of the most ridiculous things about the justice system. "Charged as an adult". What does that even mean? Can you be charged as a battery, or charged as a kitten or something? Either someone is an adult, or they aren't.

Does that mean that if I'm 13 and can convince the police that I'm capable of anything, that I get to drive a car, vote, and purchase beer?

For me the definition of gun control is hitting what you aim at (bad grammar and all).

If you break into my home and get past 4 big angry dogs you will discover my definition of gun control. Then I'll make that call to 911 so the police can make out their report.

Good instruction, and threat of a healthy ***-whooping.
wink.gif

I guess it's because my parents were raised by people who grew up in a day when there were no afterschool specials, pamphlets, TV advisories, or regulatory agencies to try and educate your children for you.

You either raised a smart kid, or you accepted the consequences.

Now there's agencies that will try to lock you up and take away your kids if you let them walk to the grocery store by themselves.

I remember kids in my school getting their special permits to allow them to drive their tractors on public roads to go pick up supplies, and others who rode their horses to do the same. This was of course, before society decided that children are invalids who can't be trusted to care for themselves or their household.

I'm 31. This was not that long ago.

33 here.

And I survived a NASTY gun "accident" as a kid (Here is a hint: Extremely deliberate acts are not accidents, this is the Internet so obvious things are not so obvious) and I have turned into a "gun nut" as a result. You would think I would want guns "abolished" or something (and Gun Control people keep denying they don't want guns taken away.. problem is, is you look at the big picture, they do, with examples of gun grabs after natural disasters and etc, National Guard, State Police, etc.. Youtube "Hurricane Katrina Gun Grab")

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
For me the definition of gun control is hitting what you aim at (bad grammar and all).

If you break into my home and get past 4 big angry dogs you will discover my definition of gun control. Then I'll make that call to 911 so the police can make out their report.

We need more people like you in this country.

Even knowing that there are folks like you are what basically kept me out of attempting to burglarize "rich people houses" in surrounding areas (which really is a horrible idea.. You bank on that people went on vacation for two or three months, Suburban urban legend that every single one of them does this in a rich area.. and throw common-sense items like homes having vibration alarms, or even basic security, to the window, so that even if you find a big piece of jewelry or a gun or cash, the police are waiting for you at the door..) when I was down and out.

Toooo many people were in County, from rich towns, on burglary charges. What losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back