Kids and guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gun control advocates would be appalled at the idea of a citizen defending themselves with a gun. Apparently they would rather have the household members call 911 so that the police can show up after the invasion take a report.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Gun control advocates would be appalled at the idea of a citizen defending themselves with a gun. Apparently they would rather have the household members call 911 so that the police can show up after the invasion take a report.

It's bizarre. Consciously planning on folks 3-30 minutes away when you know if you ever need a gun you'll need it right now.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Counterpoint
http://justiceforbrooklynn.com/
Perhaps if she had been educated about firearms she would have known to get out of that situation.

A +1 to this. The lack of proper, thorough firearms education has had much adverse effects in my opinion. And start teaching 'em when they're young.

Be careful it seems as though any discussion about firearms gets shut down quite quickly.

Last edited:
Counterpoint

How is it a counter point?

You have a kid who was properly trained with firearms who used one to save his siblings from possible harm and chase of people breaking into his house.

Your link is to a website that is all about the opposite. You have a father who didn't properly store his gun and who didn't teach his kid that guns are not toys and to not touch it. That kid shot the kid the website is about while playing with that gun.

So your link isn't a counterpoint but rather it just further shows that you have to teach kids about guns and do your part to keep them safe. A person( adult or child )who is shown the right way to handle and use a gun, and who is responsible with it, isn't the problem.

As the OP's link shows, they can be used to save your life. Misused, as your link shows, they can lead to tragedy. So can a car for example though if you drink and drive. It is all about the person using the gun and not the gun itself.

Last edited:
Quote:
This 4th of July, I Pledge: Not One More human to be killed by mindless gun violence. Being complacent breeds an environment in which these senseless deaths continue.

—DARCHEL MOHLER is the mother of Brooklynn Mae Mohler, 13, who was unintentionally shot and killed by a friend with an unsecured gun in 2013.

How was this "gun violence?" Clearly it was an accident. Which are very rare if you look at the actual numbers and not the sensational stories. That's why these people have no credibility. If they were just trying to get people to store guns properly they'd have a point. But their end game is people to not have guns, not for people to use guns safer. When they teamed up with Everytown they turned their dead daughter into a political pawn for the anti gunners.

I am against violence and death in general. Gun violence, car violence, baseball bat violence, knife violence, garrote violence, etc. when they are directed against the innocent. I am not against these and other types of violence when they are directed at attackers, such as the manual violence directed at Ayoub El Khazzani recently by 3 Americans and a Brit.

Also, after one is dead, whether the deceased was shot, stabbed or defenestrated, "What difference at this point does it make?" to quote a well known member of the American royal class.

Accidents aren't "violence." If your jack shifts and your car falls on you that's not jack violence. If someone hits you in the head with the jack cause you had an Ashley Madison account. That's jack violence.

Ugh. People miss the point. It's never about gun drugs cars sex military and all othertthings under the sky. It's about good vs bad parenting. And lazy and/or stupid parents will blame society friends media so on.

Counter point?

Following that logic we should ban just about everything.

Last month a man got drunk, drove his car through a red light and killed a pedestrian, here. Cars should be banned because of what happened, right? That car killed someone. We know a drunk was driving but it was the car that killed the innocent man walking across the street.

Never let a tragic death go to waste if you are on a mission.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

It's bizarre. Consciously planning on folks 3-30 minutes away when you know if you ever need a gun you'll need it right now.

Yes indeed.

Not only that I do see a change happening. More and more citizens are taking such matters into their own hands because it is REQUIRED, even honest police and law enforcement inform their citizens that events like this happen so quickly they are only able to arrive after the damage is done, so the citizen needs to arm themselves and be ready to defend themselves until help can arrive and if necessary, and deadly force IS acceptable.

Last edited:
Counterpoint

Education is the counterpoint. At the farm, we had several firearms laying around. They weren't locked up. They weren't loaded, and the ammunition wasn't right beside them. Nonetheless, I'm a gun nut, and I didn't go touching the darned things when I was a kid, except with permission and supervision.

When I was really young, I was deathly afraid of shotguns thanks to the observed recoil, let alone trying the things myself. When I did have the opportunity to shoot, it was simple. Follow all the rules.

Even an unsecured and fully loaded firearm isn't going to do anything dangerous unless someone picks it up and does something dangerous with it. If you keep your mitts off it, it won't harm anyone, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back