Kia Telluride (2023) Initial Fill UOA

What a strange oil. LOADED up with calcium, almost 3000ppm. Next to no magnesium. Very high moly, which could be from assembly lube. 9.8 cSt at just over 1000KM so a thinner 5W-30.

Toyota isn't the only one who likes moly..

Attachments

• 507494280_KiaMegaTurboSyn0W-30APISNACEAC205100-00171(VOABASE).jpg.463fc06fb3f92f4b83da392056c9...jpg
    507494280_KiaMegaTurboSyn0W-30APISNACEAC205100-00171(VOABASE).jpg.463fc06fb3f92f4b83da392056c9...jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 45
I think so, just wow on the moly. Definitely a break in oil IMO. Was probably in long enough to do what it needed to.
I found this older BITOG post which, if it (supposed GM engineer) is to be believed, the differences in factory fill oil can be attributed to assembly lube during manufacturing.

But again, this debate won't die on this forum. It's like how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop

Last edited:
All pricey oils e.g. Red Line, Amsoil, TGMO and iirc even HPL use a good chunk of Moly (Dimer). Because it clings and reduces friction and helps "noisy engines"! lol 🏁

All Japanese manufacturer specify good chunk of moly in their oils. We can't just blame the assembly lube for it's magnificent and mighty presence. :ROFLMAO:

Valvoline EP has a good chunk of moly and iirc even QS. Valvoline EP is the most expensive cheap oil on the shelves that I recall. It's typically $2-4 /5 qt more than M1 EP which is another very good oil.

Even Hyunkia's V6 engines shows likelihood for overworked oil, should you not change the oil by 4K.

All Hyundai and Kia engines last longer when changing the oil early and never watching the dipstick oil level, fall below a half-quart low.

It's a value-priced vehicle and all Hyunkia engines are value-made. Handle with care and a little extra maintenance scheduling

My bet is the moly is from the assembly lube, which did it's job as the engine fired up for the first time. Changing it early imo is a smart move to get the 'break in swarf" out.

Well, like I said I'd do; I'm posting a UOA of my '23 Kia Telluride from the 6,000 km drain (6,000 to 12,000 km). The vehicle now has 12,000 km on it, and has been running very well. This oil change is the second one since I drained the original oil, that I posted at the first of this thread. Since the first oil change, I've used Amsoil OE 5w-30. It looks like the oil has held up well, and the initial break-in swarf has gone way down. This drain cycle included a 3300 km round trip from the Toronto area to Myrtle Beach SC. The Kia did not use any oil during the cycle. (sump capacity is 7 qts.) Oil filter is a Fram CH11934 (non-extended life). Magnetic drain plug was installed (very little swarf noticed on it when pulled). Have been using mostly regular gasoline (10% ethanol).... Anyway, FWIW to anyone interested...
oilanal oct 2023 telluride.jpeg

Back