Kia Telluride (2023) Initial Fill UOA

I just purchased a new 2023 Kia Telluride in March. I dumped the initial oil fill at 1187km to get rid of the break-in swarf, and sent a sample in for analysis. I wanted to see if this initial factory oil had anything special in it that indicated that it needed to be in the engine for a normal run (supposed to be 6000km/6mths) to break-in. I always dump the initial fill on a new car early like this to get rid of the swarf, and have never had any problems with engine using oil afterwards, FWIW. Anyway, just thought I'd post the results for anybody that's interested.
Telluride UOA.jpeg

I don't see anything with this oil that would say that is anything but a standard, probably 5w-30. Which means that changing it out with fresh oil would likely be of benefit to the engine. Some people have posted in the past, that you should leave the original oil in the engine because it is special break-in oil. But this sample doesn't seem to be special.

I'm assuming this is a DI engine. There's that high calcium. And what oil puts that much moly in their oil? Is HPL that high?

I think so, just wow on the moly. Definitely a break in oil IMO. Was probably in long enough to do what it needed to.
Well, I guess I stand corrected on the break-in oil aspect of this oil. Thanks KC. In that case, I hope you're right that it was left in long enough. I've put in Amsoil OE 5w-30 - hope that oil is stout enough to handle what remains of any needed break in. I'm going to change it out again at 6000 km, then go another 6000 to the next required change, then analyze that. Will post results then.

100% a break in oil. The moly proves it. No way Kia specs an oil with that moly content, unless it's for break in purposes

100% a break in oil. The moly proves it. No way Kia specs an oil with that moly content, unless it's for break in purposes
Ya, I'm getting that impression now. Well, I guess maybe for my next new car, I'll believe those who say that the initial fill in cars should stay in for a while. I'm glad now that I posted the report to get this feedback.

I just purchased a new 2023 Kia Telluride in March. I dumped the initial oil fill at 1187km to get rid of the break-in swarf, and sent a sample in for analysis. I wanted to see if this initial factory oil had anything special in it that indicated that it needed to be in the engine for a normal run (supposed to be 6000km/6mths) to break-in. I always dump the initial fill on a new car early like this to get rid of the swarf, and have never had any problems with engine using oil afterwards, FWIW. Anyway, just thought I'd post the results for anybody that's interested.View attachment 164614
Looks like an Idemitsu Oil. The Asian auto companies are partial to that oil, lots of Moly.

FWIW, here's report done on a sample of new Amsoil OE 5w-30. It's not from an engine oil specific lab, but does show the elemental makeup of the oil.
Amsoil OE VOA.jpeg

Looks like an Idemitsu Oil. The Asian auto companies are partial to that oil, lots of Moly.
It's quaker state
They make the factory fill for all kia amd hyundai engines.
A QS told me this when we bought our new santafe.
I had some nerdy oil questions.

Back