Kia K5 GT oil suggestions

Doubt you'll see any difference in 0/5/10w30 oils. Pick a brand and stick to it
Enjoy your new car and don't overthink the oil topic!

Does the 5w-30 offer any advantage over the 10w-30 from M1? Any discounts or promotions?
I think the point here was:
1. Euro 5w30 holds better than a regular 5w30 against the vaporization
2. 10w30 has fewer viscosity modifiers than 5w30, so should hold better too. And kinda makes sense since you're in Florida
But at the end of the day, if you sell it in 10 years or less - won't make any difference. Kia's warranty will cover you way before you need it

I'd probably say 5W30 Pennzoil Euro L or Edge C3 over 5w30 Edge A3/B4 in a TGDI hyundai motor, the A3/B4 is full SAPS and might contribute to greater formation of intake deposits, Pennzoil Euro L and Edge C3 are Dexos2/MB229.51/ACEA C3 so they should be capped at 10% volatility and hold grade and have an HTHS above 3.5 while being mid SAPS ~0.8% Sulfated ash vs 1.21% of the Edge A3/B4.

I’d use any GF6 5w30 synthetic and call it good.

Edit: the 90% of these engines that get serviced at the dealer or quick lube places are going to get 0W20 or 5W30.

Last edited:
pulled the data sheet (updated 2-2021) and the M1 HM 10w-30 is still AECA A3/B3 and API SP with a HTHS of (used to be 3.5) not listed on current sheet. I have submitted the question via the web form.

and I plan to change the oil at 3k intervals. so I'll dump it at 3k

Mobil 1 10W-30 is 10.4 Cst at temp whereas 0W-30 is 11.5...

Mobil 1 0w-40. Cheap at Wally World and more or less a thick 30wt. Everything you want out of that high mileage oil without the seal swell additives that it may or may not have.

Edit: whoops, 0w-40 is not SN+/SP/GF-6 rated.

Last edited:
The Kia Sorento has 2.5T with AWD. It can get all that torque into the ground.

Mobil 1 10w30 HM is what I would use. QS Euro 5w40 would be good as well.

The Kia Sorento has 2.5T with AWD. It can get all that torque into the ground.

Mobil 1 10w30 HM is what I would use. QS Euro 5w40 would be good as well.
AWD would be nice to have but since I'm not tracking or racing it's not as big a deal to me. I wanted the blow you off the road 50-90mph passing numbers, and this one has it in spades. Actually not bad off the line either with the launch control. Could use some sticker summer tires. It's on the list.

H/K TGDI engines really eat up the oil.
Both the Toyota and Kia had oil changed on the same day with the same oil. Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 SN+ ACEA A3/B4
The Toyota is at 8000km and the oil still look light, golden and transparent.
Where as the Kia TGDI only has 5000km and the oil is already very dark.

H/K TGDI engines really eat up the oil.
Both the Toyota and Kia had oil changed on the same day with the same oil. Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 SN+ ACEA A3/B4
The Toyota is at 8000km and the oil still look light, golden and transparent.
Where as the Kia TGDI only has 5000km and the oil is already very dark.
Yes I had heard this before. The small Honda turbo motors also seem to have severe issues with fuel dilution.

I'm actually running premium right now in the hope that I can reduce or eliminate any potential dilution by reducing the need to run such a rich mix. My understanding is that OEMs set up the fuel and timing maps such that the primary control of detonation is through using GDI to cool the cylinder. Which is cool and all but I think there's a better way, and that way is running better fuel!

I have to get through the break-in period and probably another 5-10k miles past that before I can get a good baseline on a UOA. For now I'm operating with an abundance of caution. Except with my right foot... it's not cautious at all :D

Back