Kia is on a roll...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really considered a Santa Fe when they first came out. I had a then-co-worker who had one and she loved it. The wife liked the Santa Fe, too, but we went shopping close to the end of MY 2002 and couln't find an AWD v-6. Quite honestly, I'm glad I didn't get one. That design didn't age well, IMHO, and I see a lot of them in not-so-great shape. Didn't care for that era-Sonata either. That being said, they do improve with every year. The new Elantra is the first one I would buy. Too bad they don't sell a 4 door in the hatch version of the Accent.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I'd really considered a Santa Fe when they first came out. I had a then-co-worker who had one and she loved it. The wife liked the Santa Fe, too, but we went shopping close to the end of MY 2002 and couln't find an AWD v-6. Quite honestly, I'm glad I didn't get one. That design didn't age well, IMHO, and I see a lot of them in not-so-great shape. Didn't care for that era-Sonata either. That being said, they do improve with every year. The new Elantra is the first one I would buy. Too bad they don't sell a 4 door in the hatch version of the Accent.
Mine is an '06 (last year for that body) and I have close to 200K KM (120K miles). It looks great and runs top-notch. I would definitely buy another one. I think it looks better than all the UFO looking newer model cars on the road that Toyota/Honda seem to be putting out.
37.gif

And as for Kia, my mom has a '04 Spectra with over 100K KM (60K miles) on it and it has been very reliable.

I'm sold on the Korean vehicles for now. Way better than the "Domestic" #$@! I owned.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Explain how taking apart a car shows how a company built it?

It's called 'Reverse Engineering' and has been done for many years. It can be done quickly, efficiently, and does 'teach' how things are made.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Mine is an '06 (last year for that body) and I have close to 200K KM (120K miles). It looks great and runs top-notch. I would definitely buy another one. I think it looks better than all the UFO looking newer model cars on the road that Toyota/Honda seem to be putting out.
37.gif

And as for Kia, my mom has a '04 Spectra with over 100K KM (60K miles) on it and it has been very reliable.

I'm sold on the Korean vehicles for now. Way better than the "Domestic" #$@! I owned.
smirk2.gif

I like the newer one a lot better. They really cranked it up a notch on that one.

The new Sorento coming out early next year will be built in Georgia and will share its platform with the current gen Santa Fe. It should be available in FWD trim with the 2.4 liter 4 cyl. and 6 speed automatic. A combination I'd definitely consider.

Last edited:
Someone I know brought home their new 09 Optima this morning..She paid 16K for it..Its the 4 cyl..I thought she would have been better off getting a good used 1 old car for 16K bucks..She already complained about the way it rides because she said she fells every bump in the road in it.

She traded in a 00 Sonata 4 cyl that fell apart at 60K mies..They gave her 1K bucks for it..The a/c just went belly up in it..You can't give away a car down here with a broken a/c.

I told her when the bumper to bumper warrenty is up [5years or 60K miles] she should consider selling it.

I don't think I would ever get a car with the name Kia on the back of it.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
She already complained about the way it rides because she said she fells every bump in the road in it.

Did she not test drive it before she signed the papers?

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Ok, simple.

So Toyota and Honda have been selling cars here now, what 40 years?

That's not long enough to figure out how to duplicate every little detail of the manufacture, design, and assembly process?

Bull.

It didn't take Hyundai that long to beat them at their own game.

Can you eat a cake (or some Neiman Marcuss cookies
smirk2.gif
) and reverse engineer it down to the original recipe?

We can say, golly gee, they got some tolerance down to .0001... but unless we had a "mole" in their operation, not really know how.

There's nothing about a car that can't be identified by taking it apart. None of the 'ingredients' dissolve or melt when assembly takes place. There are no secrets...it's all nuts, bolts, screws, glass, metal and plastic when you take it apart. Japan and Korea just put it all together in a different way than the U.S. There's NO reason a Cobalt couldn't have been put together as well as a Civic, unless you blame the accountants at GM.

Hyundai had good products back in the early 2000's, such as the Elantra. I see a lot of those older Elantras still around, and running just fine.

Now if they would bring the i30 hatch here, maybe badged as a Kia, I'd be ecstatic. They could even build it in Georgia!

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
There's nothing about a car that can't be identified by taking it apart. None of the 'ingredients' dissolve or melt when assembly takes place. There are no secrets...it's all nuts, bolts, screws, glass, metal and plastic when you take it apart. Japan and Korea just put it all together in a different way than the U.S. There's NO reason a Cobalt couldn't have been put together as well as a Civic, unless you blame the accountants at GM.
Thank you!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Hyundai had good products back in the early 2000's, such as the Elantra. I see a lot of those older Elantras still around, and running just fine.

Now if they would bring the i30 hatch here, maybe badged as a Kia, I'd be ecstatic. They could even build it in Georgia!

I want a new Gensis-Coupe Turbo.
20.gif

2010_Genesis_Coupe_1_(544x408).jpg

112_0805_02z+hyundai_genesis_coupe+three_quarters_rear_view.jpg

genesis-coupe-interior-2.jpg

Go drive one if you haven't already. I was less than impressed with the 2.0. I enjoyed the 3.8, but it wasn't worthy of sacrificing my MS6, so I walked away.

I have a friend at a Dealership and have driven the 3.8, I too was less than impressed with the 2 Litre. But for the price of the 2.0 it's tempting. You could always mod it yourself.
20.gif

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
She already complained about the way it rides because she said she fells every bump in the road in it.

Did she not test drive it before she signed the papers?

She drove a demo for a short but says this one rides worse..She prabably didn't drive the demo long enough.

I told her to get a V6 on what ever car she got if she had that option as you always have the load of the a/c being on 12 months a year down here in the jungle.

Kia and Hyundai love to copy.Look at the front brakes of a Hyundai,looks like a Chrysler front brake set up and the rear brakes on most of them are a Ford rear brake setup.The Insurance is very high on a Kia and the front brake pads do not fit very well on them.The last time I did a front brake job on a Kia,had to modify the outside brake pad by grinding,it was hitting on the rotor hat.The cylinder heads on a Kia are junk and are hard to find used.My father saw one all torn apart at a dealer only car auction which was a repo with cylinder head problems.

Older Kias are junk. Everything before about 2005 I'd not touch with a 10-meter pole.

2005 was the year Hyundai technology and quality control made its way to Kia production lines. The 2005.5-current Spectra is a rebodied last-gen (XD, current gen is HD and FD) Elantra, suspension and everything the same.

I'd love that 2-liter Genesis coupe, the Track edition. Also set aside would be a few thousand for modifications. There are rumbles of things coming down the pipeline to increase the 2-liter's power.

I think the one issue I have with Hyundai and Kia is the depreciation. I don't think I would buy a new one unless the savings between a Hyundai and say a comparable Honda/Toyota/Mazda are significant enough to cover the depreciation of the Hyundai. I think they're a good deal used though as long as the price is right.

If you're thinking about a Genesis Coupe, and you're a modder, you should know the 2.0 is the same engine that sit under the hood of the Mitsubishi EVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back