Kia GDI engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our KIA has been the best vehicle we've owned in a good while, but also the newest. Not a GDI though. Never the less we've had it over 2 years and about 30k and not one, not even one single issue.

My daughter just bought her first car now that she's out of college and working, a new KIA Soul with the 2.0. She loves it.

i service a 2.4 gdi in a 2014 optima for a friend. he does 7500 mile oil changes on synpower and the oil always smells like fuel and is very very dark. Does it need changed more often? Im not sure. He does mostly short trips also. I tried to get him to do a UOA, but he doesn't really care as it is a lease.

It does look clean through the fill hole, however.

the 3.5 v6 engines are very noisy at start up but seem to be powerful and pretty good on gas and also reliable. Outside of the knocking type of noise at start up they are great engines

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the 3.5 v6 engines are very noisy at start up but seem to be powerful and pretty good on gas and also reliable. Outside of the knocking type of noise at start up they are great engines

agreed ^

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i service a 2.4 gdi in a 2014 optima for a friend. he does 7500 mile oil changes on synpower and the oil always smells like fuel and is very very dark. Does it need changed more often? Im not sure. He does mostly short trips also. I tried to get him to do a UOA, but he doesn't really care as it is a lease.

My last oil change I drained synpower with only 3,750 miles (yes I know what a waste) and it was quite dark too. I was a little surprised by it since this was the second oil change replacing the factory fill. Dunno if it's that GDI engines are hard on oil, the additives that cause the change in color or as Valvolines European website states that it is doing its job of cleaning the engine.
Link to website: Engine Oils Valvoline
If it is doing it job of cleaning does that mean that the factory fill wasn't? I'll see when I do my next oil change as I am currently using Motormaster Formula 1 conventional 5w20 (made by Shell) and see what color it is when drained at the next 3,750 mile interval. So far with 600 miles on it it still looks clean on the dipstick.

Don't worry about the color. Valvoline is correct. The color comes from soot and other impurities being suspended in the oil.

I have had 0 problems with my 2.0T Sonata (DI + Turbo), piratically the same setup as wemay. I use BJs premium gas and M1 0W-40, which I usually run at 5K intervals.

I had some QSUD in my stash which is what I'm using now, it works well but I like to keep my OCIs short during the coldest months of winter. I sometimes idle a lot in traffic before the engine and oil can get up to operating temps.

(BTW I have 25k on the car)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

My last oil change I drained synpower with only 3,750 miles (yes I know what a waste) and it was quite dark too. I was a little surprised by it since this was the second oil change replacing the factory fill. Dunno if it's that GDI engines are hard on oil, the additives that cause the change in color or as Valvolines European website states that it is doing its job of cleaning the engine.
Link to website: Engine Oils Valvoline
If it is doing it job of cleaning does that mean that the factory fill wasn't? I'll see when I do my next oil change as I am currently using Motormaster Formula 1 conventional 5w20 (made by Shell) and see what color it is when drained at the next 3,750 mile interval. So far with 600 miles on it it still looks clean on the dipstick.

Hyundai Canada OCI requirements are 3,750 miles or 6,000 Kms. They include a thin supplement to the owner's manual for Canada cars that has the 3,750 requirement. I change my oil on my 2013 Sonata and it is always very dark and fuel smelling. Most of my travel is highway.

Originally Posted By: Danno

Hyundai Canada OCI requirements are 3,750 miles or 6,000 Kms. They include a thin supplement to the owner's manual for Canada cars that has the 3,750 requirement. I change my oil on my 2013 Sonata and it is always very dark and fuel smelling. Most of my travel is highway.

Yes and that's why I think it's better to stick with conventional for now and leave the synpower stash for my Journey. Thanks for the confirmation of the dark colour in your Hyundai as I think the GDI engine also plays a role in it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Don't worry about the color. Valvoline is correct. The color comes from soot and other impurities being suspended in the oil.

That's what I figured Wemay since Valvoline addressed the dark color in that link. I was just taken by surprise by how dark it was. Thanks for the reply!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Danno

Yes and that's why I think it's better to stick with conventional for now and leave the synpower stash for my Journey. Thanks for the confirmation of the dark colour in your Hyundai as I think the GDI engine also plays a role in it.

I run PP 5W-20 in the winter and PYB 5W-20/30 in the spring, summer, fall.

The oil in my Sonata turns black after 3500 miles.

Sadly, I don't think extended OCIs are ideal for the 2.4. Me thinks these engines are hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: wemay

That's what I figured Wemay since Valvoline addressed the dark color in that link. I was just taken by surprise by how dark it was. Thanks for the reply!!
smile.gif

Any time
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back