Key Fob

2013 Fiesta Hatch SE 5 speed. Key fob has key for starting engine, will also open driver door. I thought the battery was going down as it was reluctant to unlock the doors or hatch. Battery checked out at 3V. Spare key fob unlocks doors, no problems. I am guessing the one I use is wearing out. What is involved with getting a new fob? Easy to get the new key cut?? How to get the electronics to talk to my car.

Try a new battery anyway. A good one reads around 3.2V if I recall.
Battery's in both checked out at 3V. One fob works well on 3V and the other not. I don't think new battery is the answer. Granted, a fresh one at 3.2 volt might work better, for a while.

Using a new battery seems like a band aid solution that will have to be repeated over and over. The fact that 3v operates one fob that is not used much but not the other one that has 9 years of daily use indicates it is wearing out. I am guessing a 3.2v battery is a temporary solution. That's kind of like filling a tire with a slow leak over and over instead of getting it repaired.

A coin cell that tests at 3.0V with no load is pretty much dead. New batteries are always a "temporary solution." That is how Eveready stays in business. Check the fob circuit board for water damage as that can cause flaky operation and/or bleed the battery.

Using a new battery seems like a band aid solution that will have to be repeated over and over. The fact that 3v operates one fob that is not used much but not the other one that has 9 years of daily use indicates it is wearing out. I am guessing a 3.2v battery is a temporary solution. That's kind of like filling a tire with a slow leak over and over instead of getting it repaired.
Numerous people here have suggested you put a new battery in but you have dismissed that suggestion because that's not what you want to hear. By all means, go and buy a new remote.

2013 Fiesta Hatch SE 5 speed. Key fob has key for starting engine, will also open driver door. I thought the battery was going down as it was reluctant to unlock the doors or hatch. Battery checked out at 3V. Spare key fob unlocks doors, no problems. I am guessing the one I use is wearing out. What is involved with getting a new fob? Easy to get the new key cut?? How to get the electronics to talk to my car.

It's easier (and cheaper) to put a new battery in it.
When a new battery fails to make the remote functional, then you have something that needs to "Be fixed."
Stop trying to fix what "Ain't broke."

Check the fob circuit board for water damage as that can cause flaky operation and/or bleed the battery.
Somebody has their thinking cap on. My wife's ford key fob 2032 batteries are at 2v and still operate the fob. Will replace them.

Still kicking. As for comparing 12v car battery to 3v 2032 coin battery thats like comparing oranges to apples. Found no obvious water damage in my fiesta's fob. I have some Deoxit D5 contact cleaner that I might try if those buttons operate mechanical switches. Hope they are not the rubbery contacts like they use in TV remote controllers. Last time I priced a 2032 battery in a store it was close to $5. I know you can get them cheaper online but then there's shipping and waiting.

Last edited:
Hilarious thread. I see this at work all the time, it can’t possibly be something that is simple and common, has to be something super unusual. Can’t possibly spend $5 to find out.

Back