Do you keep your key-fob in a Mu-metal box?

I would imagine most cars are not worth that much effort to get so close to you to steal in US. If they really want to do it they can always just crack the code with some brute force / man in the middle attack near your car when you enter and start the engine with an antenna and some radio recording device.

They can also just get a tow truck, or find an easier car to steal.

Most cars are stolen for parts. I'd be more concerned if they go under a full size SUV and saw off the cat or tow it away. Or yank the infotainment system or some weird OEM only parts that cost more than the car to replace (Tesla, I'm looking at you).

I would imagine most cars are not worth that much effort to get so close to you to steal in US. If they really want to do it they can always just crack the code with some brute force / man in the middle attack near your car when you enter and start the engine with an antenna and some radio recording device.

They can also just get a tow truck, or find an easier car to steal.

Most cars are stolen for parts. I'd be more concerned if they go under a full size SUV and saw off the cat or tow it away. Or yank the infotainment system or some weird OEM only parts that cost more than the car to replace (Tesla, I'm looking at you).
Oh yeah, it's tricky to steal mine, it's a 4matic so you need a flatbed, a regular tow truck won't work. Maybe there's not that much demand for my E class, they only made around 40-50k of them a year and maybe there aren't too many owners out there willing to buy hot parts.

Oh yeah, it's tricky to steal mine, it's a 4matic so you need a flatbed, a regular tow truck won't work. Maybe there's not that much demand for my E class, they only made around 40-50k of them a year and maybe there aren't too many owners out there willing to buy hot parts.

They'll just use dollies. Any tow truck will work.

The bigger problem is how to get rid of it after they steal it. What car parts worth that much and if they sell it to 3rd world what kind of cars is in demand? I don't think mine would be.

There are more threads on the Honda CR-V owners forum and YouTube about vehicles with key-fobs being stolen in the U.S.

There is a good YouTube video of someone who bought a nice full size truck with many options having it stolen by intercepting his key-fob signal and the vehicle being found in a shipping crate about to be loaded to be shipped to another country to be sold. He said when he reported the vehicle stolen the police and his insurance, they told him it is a big problem with professional thieves sealing vehicles like that in the U.S. and shipping them over-seas. They told him he would never see it again. He was surprised when they found it just before it was put on a ship.

Along with relaying the signal from your fob there are devices that they plug into the OBD port to program a new fob to the vehicle after they steal it. Also if they can get in the vehicle they can do the programing to a new fob without ever intercepting and relaying your fob just by plugging into the OBD port. There are actually fake OBD ports you can wire to your vehicle and put them in the spot of the real port so they have power if someone tries to access the port, but do not allow the communicating.

Last edited:
I find this hard to believe, unless someone hangs their car keys at the door (my grandparents did that, so I know It is done).

Both our Hondas have the keyless thing. The key has to be within a few feet, maybe less. So intercepting the signal would seem dubious to me, because the signal would be blocked unless the path is very short, the intermediate materials very flimsy, and the receiver very sensitive...
There is one YouTube showing a video of someone holding up a long wire to intercept a key-fob signal. It said some of the systems they are now using can pick up a signal from a key-fob from as far away as 300 Ft. and also they can store the signal and come back later and steal it even days later.

There is an interesting YouTube video about how car thieves steal vehicles. Apparently, these new systems where the car recognizes your key-fob and then allows you to open the doors and to start the vehicle by only pushing a button and not having to use a key, can be defeated by using a two box radio system that two thieves working together in cooperation can use to steal your vehicle.

What it consist of is one box that one thief holds outside your house near your house wall (usually they start by trying near your front door because usually people place there key-fob in the house near the door), and that first box picks up the signal from your key-fob, and relays the code information by a different radio frequency than your fob is using, to a second box that the second thief holds near your vehicle. And with that code stolen through the wall of your house from your key-fob they are able to emulate the signal from your key-fob and the vehicle things the valid signal is being sent and allows them to enter, and start, and drive your vehicle.

So there are a couple of things you can do to prevent the radio signal from your key-fob from being accessible to would be thieves.

1) Do not keep your key-fob near the front door, and even better would be to not keep it near any outside wall at the level that would be easy to access from outside the house. In other words keep them on an upper floor, and towards the center of the house, away from the outside. The further away you keep them from where someone outside the house could access the signal from them, the better.

And or 2) Keep them in a Mu-metal box. Mu-metal is any metal that blocks radio signals. Different metals have different amount of ability to absorb radio signals. Radio signals propagate by means of a combination of magnetic and electrostatic waves. Metal that can conduct both magnetic waves and electricity makes good Mu-metal.

Special Mu-metal is made of combinations of Nickel and Iron, and or Iron, and silver, and or Iron and copper, and other combinations of Iron, silver, and copper. But you do not need special Mu-metal to stop the signal from your key-fob. Plain steel or even tin can work to some extent. And if it is thick enough it will do the job.

One thing that comes to mind as probably a good Mu-metal box is a good old fashion cast iron Dutch-Oven with a cast iron lid. The thick iron walls it has should work well to block radio signals from a key-fob. We had one of those laying around the house for several years and since no one was using it, I gave it to one of my brothers. Oh well, there are other metal boxes that will work for this job.

I tried a used cookie tin that Christmas cookies came in because it is probably made of cheap thin steel and we have one left over from Christmas. And we have an old small silver jewelry box with thick walls about 1/8 of an inch thick that no one is using and it is big enough to fit my key-fob in so that also should work. I put my key-fob in the small silver jewelry box, and put that jewelry box in the cookie tin, and held it close to the outside of the door of my vehicle near the arm rest where the antenna is built into the control in the door lock button, to see if it would still pick up the signal from the key-fob. And the vehicle would not let me open the door. So even with the fob right next to the door, the signal is blocked well enough to not be detectable when it is in both of these boxes at the same time. Interestingly, when I tried each of them separately with the fob in them they did not block the signal well enough and I was able to open the door. So I use the two boxes together as my Mu-metal box for my key-fob.

So, if you put your fob in a thick enough box or boxes so there is enough metal around it, you can block the signal so thieves can not steel your vehicle.

BTW, I have a second Key-fob that I keep upstairs with the battery removed from it so it also can not be accessed to get the code for the vehicle.

electrostatic waves? what a load of horsesqueeze, that applies to plasma physics. keyfobs only transmit radio waves, nothing else.
a simple faraday bag/cage will shield it.

There is one YouTube showing a video of someone holding up a long wire to intercept a key-fob signal. It said some of the systems they are now using can pick up a signal from a key-fob from as far away as 300 Ft. and also they can store the signal and come back later and steal it even days later.
There's a lot of "scary" "stuff" on YouTube and other places.
I don't see it as something that I should personally worry about, though. Our keys are near the door, as it is convenient. 0 cars stolen in our lives thus far.

electrostatic waves? what a load of horsesqueeze, that applies to plasma physics. keyfobs only transmit radio waves, nothing else.
a simple faraday bag/cage will shield it.
Please watch some of the explanations of how radio waves propagate on YouTube such as:

Or research how radio waves propagate. It is an interaction of magnetic waves creating electrostatic waves that create magnetic waves that create electrostatic waves. So yes electrostatic is part of how they propagate, and also magnetic is just as much a part of it. It takes both for radio waves to propagate.

Electrostatic waves is not horsesqueeze, it is a real part of the physics of how radio waves work.

Last edited:
As to the range that a signal from a key-fob can be picked up: On page 9 of the manual for the remote start of my Honda CR-V it says the transmitter range is 400 ft (120 m) (approximately 600 - 1500 ft (180 - 450 m) in open areas). And this is for the fob for the remote start that uses the same size battery that the regular key-fob for the vehicle uses, though that fob does seam to have much less range. The vehicle may be smart enough to determine the range the fob is from the vehicle and not open the doors if it is more than a short distance, but that does not mean the signal only has that short of a range.

Man I have hit my car's key fob to honk the horn from just about 300 feet... And it did it.

Now... My key fob is not honking the horn if I lock the car... Even if I hit the panic button... nothing...

I am wondering what has caused that to happen. The key still locks and unlocks the car. The battery in the key is fine and no low charge issue.

Very, very peculiar...

Man I have hit my car's key fob to honk the horn from just about 300 feet... And it did it.

Now... My key fob is not honking the horn if I lock the car... Even if I hit the panic button... nothing...

I am wondering what has caused that to happen. The key still locks and unlocks the car. The battery in the key is fine and no low charge issue.

Very, very peculiar...

Very, very peculiar...
Start by trying to do that with the second key-fob.

If the second one does it, but the first one does not, then it is something in the first one.

If the second one also does not do it, then check the menu in the car to see if something can be set or unset to change the way it interacts, or try disconnecting the battery for a long enough time for the vehicle to loose all the settings.

If somebody wants my Nissan Titan bad enough to do all of that , go for it . I'm not going to lose sleep worrying about it .

Back