Kendall Ultimate Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
A recent sale purchase of Kendall full synthetic got me looking around on their website this morning. They have a new product called Ultimate Synthetic Oil which meets GM 4718M and Honda HTO-06. I called their tech line to find out what was different about this oil compared to the regular full synthetic but was told basically nothing other than that it meets these specs. The guy I talked to clammed up when I asked about oil groups.

Just thought I would mention it on here.

Thanks, as you can see your average synthetics will not meet the GM 4178M and HTO-06, therefore they are actually making/marketing another synthetic oil specifically for both of those spec's. Petro Canada is doing the same.

Another reason why M1/PP are excellent oils for the $$ and availability. They both meet those specifications. Most cars though don't require an oil that meets these specs so they won't really see any advantage using them.

The Kendall full synthetic base stock is a Group III that comes from the SK refinery in South Korea, as does the other Group III's that Conoco/Phillips uses.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
The Kendall full synthetic base stock is a Group III that comes from the SK refinery in South Korea, as does the other Group III's that Conoco/Phillips uses.

I thought S-Oil in Korea made Conoco's Gp III base stock? No matter really - I have a case of their Kendall 5W-30 full syn for the Miata.

G.

Last edited:
I think it's strange that both companies had to make a "seperate" oil to meet both of those specs. Why use their regular synthetic?

Originally Posted By: mxhdroom
Originally Posted By: Johnny

I thought S-Oil in Korea made Conoco's Gp III base stock? No matter really - I have a case of their Kendall 5W-30 full syn for the Miata.

G.

Yes, your correct, S-Oil. Not sure where I got the K from. Maybe I was thinking of tools or something.

There is an SK Energy in Korea which produces a number of petrochemical products, and it wouldn't surprise me (without doing any further research) that they make synthetic base stocks.

I seem to remember someone on here (Addy? Gregoire?) posting that there are 3 refineries in Korean producing 45% of the global synthetic base stock supply.

G.

There are 2 major Group III oil producers in Korea. S-Oil and SK Energy. SK is the worlds largest Group III producer. Their GIII product is called Yubase.

SK has started producing 2 new high viscosity Group III oils. Yubase 4-plus, a 4 cST with 134 VI, and a Yubase 6-plus, a 6 cSt with a 145 VI … imakenews.

Originally Posted By: buster
I think it's strange that both companies had to make a "seperate" oil to meet both of those specs. Why use their regular synthetic?

I was wondering about that also. The Ultimate oil overlaps the 5w-30 and 10w-30 regular synthetics. Why not just make whatever changes are necessary to your 5w-30 and 10w-30 regular synthetics and advertise the new specs. they meet.

If their regular synthetics are unable to meet the new specs., maybe these "ultimate" oils use a different base stock or even some group IV.

Kendall is an odd oil.

Its pretty tough to find.

The only time I find it, is at a Valu Home Center (home improvement chain) here in buffalo, ny.

The only time I buy it is when they have the conventional for 1.49 per quart, and the synthetic for 2.99 per quart.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
Originally Posted By: buster

I was wondering about that also. The Ultimate oil overlaps the 5w-30 and 10w-30 regular synthetics. Why not just make whatever changes are necessary to your 5w-30 and 10w-30 regular synthetics and advertise the new specs. they meet.

If their regular synthetics are unable to meet the new specs., maybe these "ultimate" oils use a different base stock or even some group IV.

It's all about balance and compromising. That is why it's hard to be the best in all areas. Mobil 1 might give up some wear for better deposit control under high temps. It's used more for engines that run hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back