KelTec Sub2000, the new backpack gun

I have owned a KelTec Sub 2000 for years. I own the very old first gen, 3rd gen Smith and Wesson magazines, model. (Currently has the mag catch to take Sig P226 magazines). I never really warmed up to the first gen model. Probably because the front sight doesn't appear all that durable and is flimsy. I just bought the new Gen 2 model, 9mm, takes Glock 19 magazines. Put 400 rds of 9MM NATO through it and 100 rds of Federal 9BPLE 115 +p+. No jams. No issues. Works great. Feels good in the hand. For whatever reason, I seem to prefer the 2nd gen model MUCH more. I actually really, really like this model. So, its tested, confirmed good, and going in the get home bag with the Glock 19 pistol. [Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have one. It's really fun and it's less loud (not really quiet) than a similar pistol. Accuracy is what you would expect, good but not match grade. However, for a backpack gun, why not simply use a pistol of the same caliber? There is no real difference in HP. Yes, I understand that with handloads, one can make a 9mm pistol cartridge that performs well in a long barrel. But short of that, off the shelf 9mm pistol ammo is not, or not much improved by a 16 inch barrel when compared to a full sized pistol.

I have the 40 version. As a lefty I can tell you it's a real eyebrow toaster. I mounted a red dot at a 45° angle so I can tilt the ejection port away from my face, otherwise I feel like I need to wear a full face shield to shoot it. With the red dot mounted at 45° it will still fold closed.

dnewton3

Staff member
I had experience with one of the first gen models. Like the features, etc. Hated the trigger pull; atrocious to say the least. LONG pull and very not consistent.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have one. It's really fun and it's less loud (not really quiet) than a similar pistol. Accuracy is what you would expect, good but not match grade. However, for a backpack gun, why not simply use a pistol of the same caliber? There is no real difference in HP. Yes, I understand that with handloads, one can make a 9mm pistol cartridge that performs well in a long barrel. But short of that, off the shelf 9mm pistol ammo is not, or not much improved by a 16 inch barrel when compared to a full sized pistol.
Think again........ http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

CT8

The carbine makes good hits at 100 yards easier than with a pistol though. I am trying to justify the need.

It's a niche gun. It fills a specific need. It is not the best pistol caliber carbine but it does things that others can't. It is concealable in a back pack and instantly ready to fire by opening the carbine and chambering a round. They are more accurate than a pistol and 100yd shots are simple to make. I use it as a travel companion that will draw zero attention as a backpack. Like I said, a niche gun that works with your pistol. Comforting to have with you and easier to conceal than most of its type.

bubbatime

Originally Posted by Cujet
However, for a backpack gun, why not simply use a pistol of the same caliber? There is no real difference in HP. But short of that, off the shelf 9mm pistol ammo is not, or not much improved by a 16 inch barrel when compared to a full sized pistol.
Has nothing at all to do with terminal performance, and everything to do with accuracy and faster follow up shots. A reliable rifle will always be better than a reliable pistol. 150 yards and in, I'll get ten hits out of ten shots fired on man size targets with a rifle. Cant do that with a pistol. When I train new shooters to shoot, I always bring a pistol caliber carbine to end the day with. They are usually terrible to marginal on a pistol, but excellent with a pistol caliber carbine in their hands. Faster follow up shots, more accurate hits. At this point, I explain to them that a rifle is better in almost all scenarios, in personal defense, than a pistol. And the light bulb illuminates over their head, and they just get it. People poo on pistol caliber carbines, and just regurgitate the often said, "get a real rifle caliber". Yeah, we are aware that rifles are rifles, and pistols are pistols. A pistol caliber carbine will get the job done 99% of the time.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
People poo on pistol caliber carbines, and just regurgitate the often said, "get a real rifle caliber". Yeah, we are aware that rifles are rifles, and pistols are pistols. A pistol caliber carbine will get the job done 99% of the time.
My go to for HD. Lightweight, fast handling, no recoil, accurate to 150 yds, and a lot quieter in the house than an AR or SG... Takes the same ammo & mags as my 92FS [Linked Image]

Closest I can get in Oz is a takedown break action single shot.... Which come to think of it I might just do so.

Originally Posted by BobsArmory
Had one for a while. Full of problems. Went out and got a Ruger PC9.
Have to concur. Always thought build quality on a KelTec was suspect, almost like HiPoint, your Saturday Night Special variety of build quality. Could be a departure, but what about an H&K MP7. Collapsible butt-stock for handling [Linked Image]