Keep with Conventional for 2001 Buick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Pennzoil conventional in my 03 Park Avenue with the same engine, only supercharged. Car burns a bit of oil, not much, but I don't wanna have to keep adding expensive oil each time it needs it. 144k on it, and best road car I've ever owned.

On the DexCool issue, it's known to eat through the intake gaskets if not changed often enough. Change it every 3 years instead of the recommended 5 and it shouldn't do it. Problem with these engines is the intake manifold and EGR stovepipes are made of plastic and they usually start leaking around the stovepipe and it can cause the engine to hydrolock and seize it up. You can replace them with improved aftermarket gaskets made of aluminum, also a aluminum stovepipe, which is what I did for safe measure, mine weren't leaking, but I wasn't going to wait for them to start either! Other than that, the 3800 will run until the end of time.

Also keep an eye on the transmission fluid and change it often, the ATX is a weak point in this era GM FWD car but usually the problems are caused by neglect more often than not.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by 69GTX
What you're doing now is just fine and obviously works. You didn't tell us what the annual mileage is these days. Could be 500....could be 3000.....and what are the typical miles on each trip? That should play the most important role in your decision. A short tripper doing 2-5 miles each trip never warms up, and leaves excess fuel, water, and corrosion products in your engine. I'd be tempted to do 2X oil changes each year (change filter every other change) just to get all those contaminants out. If she's driving at least 10-12 miles per trip then annually is fine.

It's had 18yrs to fail due to corrosion...js

What you're missing is that the aunt might have driven most of those 53,000 miles under normal conditions....and only seriously short tripping the car the past couple of years. There's be no corrosion at all from those first 50,000+ miles. And maybe considerable corrosion and buildup as the car transformed into a severe short tripper. The OP didn't give any information of how and when the mileage was put on before I replied. Based on their latest reply as long as 10 mile trips are recorded (or a monthly highway run), an annual change on conventional makes sense.

Fair enough. And I agree 100% w/sticking to dino, maybe even just once a year oil change as you mentioned. This cars a garage queen, just keep doing what's been doing and who knows how long it'll last.. maybe another 10yrs. That reminds me OP, let me know if that Buick's ever for sale....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back