K&N Select Dry Flow Engine Air Filter?

AEM and K&N are the same aren't they now? I have a AEM dry flow filter. The first kind (before K&N) fell apart. But they honored the lifetime warranty and replaced with the newer style wire backed red pleated, still dry flow. It's still in great shape after 8 years. Probably cleaned it three times or so.

Here it is new.
aem-filter-installed.jpg

After two years.
aem-filter-on-car.jpg

aem-filter-tears.jpg

Original and replacement
aem-old-and-new-inside.jpg

aem-old-and-new.jpg
The gray one is AEM's Brute Force media. Never had issues with that filter failing, even after multiple washes, but, it was in the engine compartment.

The only issue I had was my mechanic constantly bothering that I needed to clean my filter... so eventually I got tired and got red DryFlow from AEM.

Ordered an AEM Oil-less Air Filter for my 2016 RAV4...website was confusing. They sent a filter that did not fit and later told me that the website was wrong and they do not make a filter for my vehicle. Had to send the wrong filter back at my expense (FEDEX $18+) Has been 7 weeks and they have not refunded the price of the filter ($46+). Their people were rude and not helpful on the phone. Stay away from K&N and AEM!

Ordered an AEM Oil-less Air Filter for my 2016 RAV4...website was confusing. They sent a filter that did not fit and later told me that the website was wrong and they do not make a filter for my vehicle. Had to send the wrong filter back at my expense (FEDEX $18+) Has been 7 weeks and they have not refunded the price of the filter ($46+). Their people were rude and not helpful on the phone. Stay away from K&N and AEM!
Should have ordered from Amazon, returns are quick and easy, no questions asked especially on orders fulfilled by Amazon.

So, quick question, while shopping in the auto section at WM, i notice they have these k&n "select" dry flow engine air filters. They are double the price of the fram ultra premium about $42 with tax - for the Sonata, but they are NOT oiled. I know not to touch the oiled ones with a 10ft pole, so i picked one up for the Sonata to try and am thinking i'll pick up another one for the Elantra.. But i cant find much info on them. The filter is extremely well built (i would go as far to say over built) you can not see through them like the old style oiled ones - even in direct sunlight, and comes in a high quality sealed box with a k&n decal, and a "STOP DO NOT REPLACE" sticker you put on your air box lid. The k&n select air filter also fits in the air box securely, and the lid locks down very snug, better then the fram i removed. Any one using these select air filters? I bought the one for the sonata because i like to tap it out/clean it every oil change, less waste, and hoping to save a few dollars over the long run, so as long as they filter and will not damage the engines. Plus maybe have 0.01% better throttle response/gas mileage/and power. I know k&n now owns aem, so is this just rebadged aem dry flow? Next time im in wm, i plan to pick one up for the Elantra unless bitog says otherwise, worst case i'll also return the sonata one that i already installed... What are your thoughts on this k&n select dry flow air filter? thanks!! :D :D

Info from the wm website:

K&N Select Air Filters have premium dry filter media with durable screen mesh and one-piece frame. These filters install easily and have a service interval up to 50,000 miles that are easy to clean and reuse. These filters come with a 10 year warranty.

• SAVES MONEY: K&N Select washable air filters will save you $200 over 10 years by eliminating the cost of traditional paper filters.
  • ENGINEERED POWER: Premium dry filter media produces up to 35% more airflow than disposable paper filters to increase power and acceleration.
  • HIGH CAPACITY: Up to 50,000 miles between cleanings. Less work, more play. No oiling needed.
  • WORLD CLASS PROTECTION: Pushing the limits of engine protection by protecting your engine from harmful contaminants
  • EASY PERFORMANCE UPGRADE: Designed to install easily into your factory air box. One of the quickest and most cost-effective upgrades to your vehicle for quick performance gains.
  • RACE TESTED: The Official Air Filter of NASCAR. Trusted on the racetrack—made for your vehicle.
  • ECO-FRIENDLY: A K&N Select air filter is washable and reusable. Using washable, reusable products reduces landfill waste.
  • PREMIUM QUALITY: Built to last a lifetime and backed by K&N 10-Year Limited Warranty.
I put one in my '20 Ranger XLT FX4 w/ Gen2- 2.3L GTDI engine. Be honest i don't really feel much. I'm sure it's a good, well made filter that filters particulates just fine tho pricey as you said. Will prob run it at least 35-40k mis w/annual inspections. Never touched K&N previously as didnt want deal w/oil issues on the MAF sensor. My truck has 270hp & stout 310lb ft torque (stock) thru the smooth 10spd auto. In sport mode my truck feels dwnright sprinty (all things considered/heavy 4wd truck etc ). Maybe you get few hp ..tho things are regulated tightly by computers very much ..including incoming air. *Most important thing is run a clean air filter & change it 1× p/yr (unless K&N, AEM etc)* .

I’ve always found them irritating to clean and after 5 or so cleanings they begin to deteriorate to the point I don’t feel comfortable using them. All my experience with them has been in motorcycle and off-road applications though. They probably hold up better in a car.
Yea, I never used the oiled K&Ns in recent times. Think I threw one in an '88 Mustang GT 5.0 before they had a MAF sensor when I was 16yrs old. Lol Did purchase the new "dry flow" K&N for my '20 Ranger XLT FX4 w/ Gen2- 2.3L TGDI motor. It's a well made filter. Seals well in air box. Not cheap tho! Usually go OEM be honest as Motorcraft are well known for quality parts @fair price pt. May run it 40k mis w/annual inspection. No further.

Back