K&N vs Spectre performance air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does any one have any experience with the difference related to K&N and Spectre (Red) washable performance air filters? The K&N is double the price of the Spectre. I am looking to change the white paper one on my 70 Chevelle SS.

I've used the Spectre ones in the past. They claim a synthetic media on their website and that's different from the K&N which is supposed to use cotton material. I have since gone back to the OE style air filters but I never noticed anything wrong with the Spectre filters. Intake said of the air box always looked clean.

I would not touch a K&N or any other like filter after seeing the dirt in my intake let in. I tried every oil and it just plain and simple lets dirt in. I myself will pass.

Spectre air filters always struck me as chintzy. Between the two, I'd choose K&N.

You also have aFe, Green, Airaid, AEM, and Amsoil if you want a quality filter. aFe, AEM, and Amsoil all offer oil-less filters for your application.

Originally Posted by 007
Has anyone realized a performance benefit with the air filters mentioned?

Typically a stock air filter flows more than enough air for a stock engine. If you have a non-stock engine? Then there could be an issue.

Originally Posted by edyvw
50-70hp, at least, and 2 seconds off 0-60 time. Consumption? At least 40-45mpg regardless of an engine.

And if they told you that wolverines made good house pets would you believe that too?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by edyvw
50-70hp, at least, and 2 seconds off 0-60 time. Consumption? At least 40-45mpg regardless of an engine.

And if they told you that wolverines made good house pets would you believe that too?

LOL, sense sarcasm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Spectre air filters always struck me as chintzy. Between the two, I'd choose K&N.

This. My feelings exactly.

I'm curious to find out if there's any way to increase air flow of a stock air box, but continuing to use the stock paper element. I have never seen any aftermarket high flow filters that filter as well as the OEM paper element, which is why I won't use them...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My uncle's bone stock '65 El Camino with a 283 and 4 speed ran high 12's on stock tires with a K&N...

lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
My uncle's bone stock '65 El Camino with a 283 and 4 speed ran high 12's on stock tires with a K&N...

lol.gif

I agree, that is hilarious, and not possible...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

lol.gif

I agree, that is hilarious, and not possible...

It's probable. I've done more with less.

I picked up .5 in the 1/4 and dropped .2 off of my 60 foot by installing Splitfire plugs in my Cummins.

When the throttle opens up, you can really tell the difference. Smoked an '83 Corvette like it was standing still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back