K&N / Spectre filter for better mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny post about gears. My mustangs fuel efficiency improved going from the stock 3.27s to 3.90s. It takes the engine less fuel to turn the wheels with more gear. Yes it revs a bit higher on the highway but it uses less fuel to attain those revs.
Just my personal experience. I gained 4mpg across the board once the novelty wore off.

Originally Posted By: FFeng7
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
A well designed aftermarket intake system designed for fuel economy MIGHT add a skosh of economy (depending on how good or bad the OE system is... most OE stuff is biased towards economy) but a filter alone will not. That has been my experience and the study linked below pretty much proves it. INtake restriction has little effect of fuel economy just tooling around because the EFI is constantly trimming the fuel. It will have a big effect on power, as you will read in the study, but not MPG.

On top of that, it's just about impossible to measure fractions of MPGs. The usual margin for error ins about 1 mpg no matter which way you measure so you'll never really know whether you gained anything or not for the money you spent.

But for the sake of argument, lets say that $120 Spectre filter delivers a 1/4 mpg increase. Since you are talking about a 360 you are probably getting 15 mpg on a good day. Let's say you drive 10,000 miles per year and gas is stable at $3.50/gal. You are using 666.7 gallons of gas per year that costs $2333 annually. If you get 15.25 mpg 655.7 gallons per year for $2295 for a $38 savings per year. To recoup your $120 expense, it's going to take more than three years... if indeed you got the 1/4 mpg gain that you really can't measure.

The other thing about the oiled cotton gauze filters is low efficiency. That translates into more wear in the long run and shorter OCIs. How much that effect you long term depends on the area where you live. If it's dirty air where you live, especially with lots of fines in the air (the desert or the big city are the worst places for fines) the more junk the OCG is letting in.

The two things that have helped me with mpg are a programmer with a good fuel economy program and low rolling resistance tires. To that, add synthetic gear oil and you can see a difference above the margin for error. I saw a 2.4 mpg difference in tires between an All Terrain tire and an All Season on my F150 over a measured course, carefully tested Look Tires & Fuel Economy for a test I did on this.

The biggest changes come from how and where you drive. That's the place where most people fall short because they don't want to expend the mental energy to do it or make any changes to their routine but if you concentrate on the driving, you can save 2-3 mpg on just about everything with an engine. Best part of that...it's free.

Intake restriction and Fuel Economy

This 2009 report tests the effect of dirty air filter on fuel economy using standard EPA dyno routines. They used later model EFI cars (2003-2007)and one 1975 carbureted car. The conclusion what that the fuel injection could compensate for the restriction up to the point where the car's performance had deteriorated to barely running and fuel economy decreased only by a percent or so. Performance degraded, of course. The carbureted car was more effected but fuel economy wasn't lowered by nearly as much as "common knowledge" dictates... only 2.5 percent.

In every case lower end performance was unaffected until the restriction reached the level at which insufficient air was being inhaled. Performance dropped mightily but the EFI could trim fuel to keep the mixture about right. They found that in "normal" driving situation, the car was almost unaffected by a clogged filter because the airflow needs were so low. In a few cases, the filters were so clogged that the engine sucked them into the intake tube.

I really enjoyed reading this response but I have a question. It states the the city and desert are the worst place for fine particulates in the air. In the desert obviously its sand and silt but what makes the city air so bad? Is it particulates from exhaust or just dirt in general?

This comes from the various SAE papers I've read and in interviewing air filter professionals. Big City air contains a lot of soot (exhaust particulates as you suggest) and fine dust particles. The thought, frankly, makes me cringe a bit and be glad I live a rural lifestyle ( : < )

Thanks! That was my thought on the dirty city air. Vehicle exhaust and smog. I was unsure if the particles were big enough to be filtered in a car filter.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Funny post about gears. My mustangs fuel efficiency improved going from the stock 3.27s to 3.90s. It takes the engine less fuel to turn the wheels with more gear. Yes it revs a bit higher on the highway but it uses less fuel to attain those revs.
Just my personal experience. I gained 4mpg across the board once the novelty wore off.

I have noticed this too, especially in city driving, although higher rpms can cost FE once you are out of the "sweet spot." EFI engines seem more efficient at higher rpm than carbed. A heavy loaded rig can benefit from higher rpms too but an engine with a carb may need calibration to be more efficient.

I went with 4:10 gears from JLP in my ford... mileage did not suffer, at times mileage increased. air filter and mileage least of your worries... keeping that thing rolling and having a good time more important. I'd go with a solid oil choice, Air and fuel filter changed. Coolant changed. get that rear diff oil changed, Maybe E fan for cooling. maybe get rid of that rooftop AC.
VERY NICE RIDE!! looks fun to work on!

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
I went with 4:10 gears from JLP in my ford... mileage did not suffer, at times mileage increased. air filter and mileage least of your worries... keeping that thing rolling and having a good time more important. I'd go with a solid oil choice, Air and fuel filter changed. Coolant changed. get that rear diff oil changed, Maybe E fan for cooling. maybe get rid of that rooftop AC.
VERY NICE RIDE!! looks fun to work on!

The coolant & hoses have been changed.

No space for another fan for the radiator. It has an aftermarket transmission cooler in the space that might have been able to fit one. It's more important to me to have. It has a generously sized fan and all the belts have also been replaced. It has 2 belts for I think everything so even if one breaks or slips badly, the other will keep things going.

The air filter and fuel filter are brand new (last year, almost no miles on them yet).

The AC is gonna stay even if it hurts MPG some. I don't want to be without it. It's great for air circulation if nothing else since it has 2 fan only speeds in addition to two AC fan speeds.

Those pictures remind me of my family's 1976 E250 California conversion van with a 460. I really miss it and envy your project. Enjoy it for me and all of the other closet campers.

Cubey... An electric cooling fan would mount right behind the radiator, the fan that you have would be removed. Flexalite would be a good brand to start. you may be able to pull it off...
if i had the time, I'd install one in my truck.

In the new 2010+ Ram trucks (my brother has one)..they still retain the mechanical clutched fan, but nested inside the shroud in between the mech fan and the radiator there is also an additional electric fan that runs to boost CFM through the radiator. There may be room in between for something like this if you go low profile.

Above all make sure that the radiator and A/C condensor in front of it are as clean and debris free as possible and that the cooling fins are straight as can be even if you have to comb them straight by hand. Everything helps and adds up.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how or why you're trying to save every drop of fuel, if even a 1/4 mpg if you don't pay attention.

I had one on a ford fusion v6 a few years back didn't notice much difference really what I liked was reusing it and it was USA made. maybe 1mpg and better breathing for the engine. Now when I did a cold air intake from steeda I got 2-3mpg and much better breathing and a few extra HP but it set me back a few hundred!

Originally Posted By: oilotaku
I had one on a ford fusion v6 a few years back didn't notice much difference really what I liked was reusing it and it was USA made. maybe 1mpg and better breathing for the engine. Now when I did a cold air intake from steeda I got 2-3mpg and much better breathing and a few extra HP but it set me back a few hundred!

I doubt that very much unless your fusion was cammed and tuned.
I come from a mustang background as my sig indicates. I can promise you that every cai on my mustangs is for looks only,and did absolutely nothing for hp whatsoever.
Stock intakes flow the ideal amount of air so that velocity is maximized,so unless your fusion has some kind of serious engine mods I'm confident your cai did nothing other than perhaps make you think you got some kind of hp increase.
Just my opinion based on decades playing with mustangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back