K&N oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people would say yes (me included), while others would say no due to the cost of the filter. THe K&N oil filters are very good. Amsoil filters are a little better being able to filter slightly smaller particles. Also consider WIX/Donaldson,

Robbie, only you can answer that question.

K&N filters are very good. So are Mobil 1 and AMSOIL, but whether they are "worth it" is subjective. If you are going to use one for a 3,000-mile OCI, they are overkill and not cost-effective. For a 3,000-mile OCI, the house-brand filters from Wally World, Advance Auto, AutoZone, or even a FRAM (yikes!) are good enough. If your OCI is 5,000 to 10,000 miles, then using something like an AC Delco, Motorcraft, NAPA Gold, or WIX is more appropriate, and will save you some money as well. However, if using a K&N buys you peace of mind, then it IS "worth it"...

I would consider K&N if I was racing or possibly towing where I was more concerned about flow than finest (um) filteration. (I would be changing oil a lot also).

If best filtration is your goal as opposed to flow rate, there appears to be many good (probably better) filters at 1/3-1/2 the cost at least for my application.

If "I" was looking to go 10K OCI I would lean toward a filter with synthetic media. Perhaps M1. As I recall, K&N is resin (phenolic?) impregnated paper.

For me 5K OCI is "extended". So I would probably just change filter at 5K despite OCI of 10K. I would worry about the filter loading up and going into by-pass especially if it's high efficiency (such as M1).

Therein lies the trade-off(s). So it depends on what your trying to accomplish. Spending more doesn't imply better...just different.

My vehicles last 15-17 years using a sub $6 filter. I usually drive them to the junkyard - all rusted-out. Been using a combination of Fram (no more), Wix, Napa, Motorcraft, Purolator and AC Delco.

Why anyone would consider a K&N with the Amsoil EaO and other filters is beyond me, other than if the Amsoil/Mobil 1 is not available for their vehicle..
From a lube engineer's perspective, the three most important elements in an engine's life are to use best filtration available, best lubricant and change at regular intervals..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Quote:

Why anyone would consider a K&N with the Amsoil EaO and other filters is beyond me, other than if the Amsoil/Mobil 1 is not available for their vehicle..

dunno.gif

Quote:

From a lube engineer's perspective, the three most important elements in an engine's life are to use best filtration available, best lubricant and change at regular intervals..

My sentiments exactly.
approved.gif

Terry has stated that K&N are very good filters(in previous threads). And not just for flow. They have tested very good for filtration too. EKPolk did some particle counts on a K&N on his G35 and they came out looking good. Clearly we have learned that Amsoil Eao filters are awesome, but if you want to go to a store to buy your oil filter, K&N is one of your top choices.

Quote:

George,
I respect your contribution at BITOG.
I understand that flow is also as important as filteration. Isn't filteration effeciency essentially zero by definition if filter is in bypass mode?
I prefer to have a filtered flow during 1) high RPM, 2) cold startup, 3) filter is relatively clogged and not rely on bypass valve to kick in with unfiltered oil.

I used to have a Puralator PureOne on my Acura, when I changed oil, I found those ridges at the dome edge are blown up to a perfect round shape like the rest of the filter can. As one of the highest effecient filter, it apparently can not mention flow and who knows why bypass valve did not activate. It starved my engine with oil and from that day K&N gets the nod, just an a little over $8 per filter shipped and taxed from www.adjusa.com is a no brainer for me.

Quote:

Terry has stated that K&N are very good filters(in previous threads). And not just for flow. They have tested very good for filtration too. EKPolk did some particle counts on a K&N on his G35 and they came out looking good. Clearly we have learned that Amsoil Eao filters are awesome, but if you want to go to a store to buy your oil filter, K&N is one of your top choices.

I also remember Terry's comment that a filter with good flow combined with good oil and air filter gives the best UOA.
I think many mistake filteration tested on the media itself vs effective filteration tested on the filter as a system.
I could not say it any better than this exact quote from Terry in this thread
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6&Number=733626
Quote:

Using JUST the efficiency rating is misleading as the K&N OF will hardly ever go into bypass. Meaning capacity and life of actual filtering might miss a percentage of very small particles but trumps most OTC oil filters that cycle in and out of bypass ( with NO filtering taking place) like Bill Clinton and his lovers.

It does not make any difference what you use in the course of 200,000 miles, they will all perform the same, that is the engine life will not be shortened because you use one filter over another. Basic maintenance is the key.

Quote:

You may want to look at the following links. They contain some info about many brands. The second link contains filtering and flow data. The information led me to try using Purolator Premium Plus filters. According to the spreadsheet they filter and flow better than the K&Ns for a whole lot less $$$.

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

and

http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/Grease Oil Filter Study.xls

THIS DATA IS FROM 2004. MUCH OF THIS HAS LIKELY CHANGED. LOOK FOR CURRENT INFO ON YOUR PARTICULAR FILTER.

Not sure if this means much to you, but the K&N has probably the thickest can I have ever seen. If you have an oil filter in a bad spot (like on the Honda Pilot,Odyssey - right next to the right front tire waiting for stuff to collide into it), it might be a good choice. The one inch nut on it makes it really nice if you have small clearances to remove the filter.

I've used them and they give me good results, I would say they are a good choice if you are doing extended OCIs. That said, I like the Amsoil EAOs too but I am taking those to 15-17K intervals every other oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back