K&N = Donaldson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

Im trying to trace back who is making K&N Oil Filter for Mazda 3
Cartridge Style - Design looks like Donaldson Filter ... ie No Plastic plate at the top... I Know for sure that this filter is not a Champion Lab product ...

K&N

knHP-7013.jpg

Some random Donaldson Cartridge filter

p550797-016-140.jpg

I was not able to find Donaldson filter for Mazda 3.

But K&N Design looks like Donaldson ... no end caps just some media material used to holds plate ...

I hope that Donaldson is making those filter ... Because that means great quality ...

Any Ideas thx Guys...

Last edited:
What is the part # for the filter?

Does look a lot like other Donaldson cartridges, which are of superb quality.

MANN ML 1019

K&N HP 7013

The reason why I suspect this is I once bought a STP filter for a Mazda 2.3 and the box had a MANN filter in it. Subsequent visits and investigations to AZ showed that STP and MANN are not similar at all but the K&N and MANN for that application are. I think someone switched the filters between the K&N and STP boxes.

Also, Other K&N cartridges say "Made in Germany" on them.

Last edited:
Thx Guys,

Are MANN filter any good ? Better then OEM, WIX ?

STP uses whatever is available or cheaper . The cartridge filter(STP) for the 2.3 Mazda used to be Mann now its something else made in China. The STP air filter for my V6 Milan is an OE Ford with the logo blacked out. I grabbed a bunch of them when they were on sale at Autozone because eventually they will find a cheaper supplier and replace them. It pays to check the STP brand especially on new applications.

Got K&N made in Germany ... Are they any good for extended oil changes ? I hope that they are better then OEM Mazda filters

I will take some pics of the filter that I picked up ..

It looks like the top and the bottom have small cracks not sure if its normal ... And some white gluee or something ..

I will post pictures tonight

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Sadly, the majority of Donaldson filters sold here are either made in Indonesia or Saudi Arabia. A few are US made, if you're lucky. As far as the rest are concerned, only the heavy duty ones are US made.

I bought a P550726 not long ago (friend of mine is the authorised importer/dealer in Kuwait), which mentioned "USA" as the country of origin on the website...but turned out to be "KSA" instead. Surprisingly, there were a lot of complaints about the P550726 from customers too. In the end, my friend was reimbursed for what he paid, and told to throw away the filters he had in stock.

Their headquarters for Europe and the Middle East is located in Belgium IIRC, and country of origin varies compared to what's on the website.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Sadly, the majority of Donaldson filters sold here are either made in Indonesia or Saudi Arabia. A few are US made, if you're lucky. As far as the rest are concerned, only the heavy duty ones are US made.

I bought a P550726 not long ago (friend of mine is the authorised importer/dealer in Kuwait), which mentioned "USA" as the country of origin on the website...but turned out to be "KSA" instead. Surprisingly, there were a lot of complaints about the P550726 from customers too. In the end, my friend was reimbursed for what he paid, and told to throw away the filters he had in stock.

Their headquarters for Europe and the Middle East is located in Belgium IIRC, and country of origin varies compared to what's on the website.

That is very unfortunate. The USA made Donaldson filters are fantastic.

Has your friend tried ordering in Fleetguard?

When the P7313 was added to our catalog, it was purchased from Germany. It is now produced in our Kearney facility.

Thanks,
Jason
Product Management
Baldwin Filters

It's the same thing when OEM's first went to cartridge filters. No matter what box you opened, you typically found the same filter. No one makes every filter. When demand makes producing it pay, they do
21.gif

Now there are many options.

I haven't asked actually, but will find out. Are the Fleetguards much different?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

I haven't asked actually, but will find out. Are the Fleetguards much different?

No, they synthetic media (StrataPore) Fleetguard filters, at least in the car sizes, appear basically identical in construction to the USA-built synthetic Donaldson filters I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back