jws 3309 or jws3324?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for yet another post jws 3309 vs 3324 but I have no clear ideas and the more I read the more I'm confused.

First of all I introduce myself, I am a new user of the forum, this is my first message, I really like these technical forums, I consider them very useful to all of us who are trying to improve the characteristics of their vehicle.

I own an Abarth 124 with an AT Aisin B400 alias TB-65sn transmission, the same gearbox is used by Mazda mx5 and Toyota gt86

1) doubt FCA and Mazda recommend T-iv while Toyota T-WS, why this difference on the same gearbox?
2) If I put T-ws what problems could arise?
3) Is there a T-iv pao?
4) Are the multi atf, Amsoli, Motul valid? How can an ATF oil have good characteristics and additives for both 3309 and 3324 ??

Thank you very much

Last edited:
While I don't own any vehicle that uses this fluid, from looking at the specifications it would appear that JWS 3309 would be specified for vehicles that recommend the Toyota T-IV fluid. This is an older and higher viscosity transmission fluid.

The JWS 3324 would be used in vehicles that recommend the use of a WS (world specification) transmission fluid which is simply a lower viscosity version of the T-IV.

These fluids are very similar to what General Motors did with their Dexron 3 fluid. The corporation introduced an improved version of Dexron-3 and named it Dexron-VI. They have said that you can use Dexron-VI in any application that formerly required Dexron-3 but state that you shouldn't use Dexron-3 in applications requiring Dexron-VI.

In my modest opinion I feel that the newer fluid (3324) is the better choice simply because it tends to be more stable and should provide a slight fuel economy increase over the older fluid. I also don't believe you will ever have any issue with either fluid simply because they have very similar frictional characteristics and are designed to work in the exact same automatic gearbox.

If this fluid is being used in an manual gearbox then certainly DO NOT interchange the fluids. Use the one specified. If your vehicles requires T-IV then use the 3309. If your vehicles specifies WS then use the 3324.

Originally Posted by Ayrton70
Sorry for yet another post jws 3309 vs 3324 but I have no clear ideas and the more I read the more I'm confused.

First of all I introduce myself, I am a new user of the forum, this is my first message, I really like these technical forums, I consider them very useful to all of us who are trying to improve the characteristics of their vehicle.

I own an Abarth 124 with an AT Aisin B400 alias TB-65sn transmission, the same gearbox is used by Mazda mx5 and Toyota gt86

1) doubt FCA and Mazda recommend T-iv while Toyota T-WS, why this difference on the same gearbox?
2) If I put T-ws what problems could arise?
3) Is there a T-iv pao?
4) Are the multi atf, Amsoli, Motul valid? How can an ATF oil have good characteristics and additives for both 3309 and 3324 ??

Thank you very much

There tend to be generations with Aisin transmissions. You could have a Gen1 and Gen2 of the same transmission call for different fluid. This is the case with the Aisin TF80SC. When you are talking about these transmissions shared between auto manufactures you need to identify which years you are talking about.

I can't imagine any Aisin transmission built after 2015 calls for anything but 3324. They are working on a new thinner fluid that will be used in future transmissions. According to Aisin afternarket catalog 2012 and newer use ATF WS (3324).

My understanding is your car uses the same transmission as the MX5 and that this transmission was designed in house by Mazda. It is not a modern Aisin transmission. Where do you see that your car has TB-65SN?

Mobil is of course the major producer of this fluid, and I have seen the product in China in branded Mobil bottles.

Where do you get the Mobil bottled product here in the USA???

I haven't seen it yet anywhere.

The mx5 ND features the SJ6A - EL gearbox which is the same TB-65SN, the strange thing that even Mazda mx5 ND recommends jws3309 why put an old technology oil on modern cars? moreover Toyota gt86 which also mounts the same gearbox recommends jws 3324, I am confused ... I would like to change with the new 3324 to have a faster change but I am afraid of doing damage ....TB-65SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back