JWS 3309/mobil 3309/toyota t-iv, synthetic yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did already know that VW lies and says not to use any other fluid. They also lie and say that it is a lifetime fluid. I wonder how many transmissions lie #2 ruined? I can see some justification in the first one just because it takes a little searching to find what the underlying spec of their fluid is with it not being printed in their bottles. It would be easy to get the wrong stuff and cause a problem but I now know that VW's fluid is not the only one that works in the 09G. The way I see it a good brand listing the needed spec on the bottle is usually a safe bet, it is just nice to see if anyone has any horror stories about a brand.

I have just now ordered some Redline D4 transmission fluid. A lot of people are using it and they all seem happy with it. It meets JWS 3309, Type T-IV and VW G 055 025 A2 according to Redline's website. There are a lot of European cars that people are using it in. Sure it is kinda expensive but not like VW's 18.36 per liter fluid. I am one of the ones who likes to let the car warm up a bit before I drive it just because the VW fluid is not so great cold. The Redline fluid is 12.00 per quart but it should be excellent fluid. It gets compared with Amsoil alot but Amsoil has a bit of a shaky reputation. If by some chance the car doesn't like the new fluid, I can get a ride to a Toyota dealer and go back to the T-IV that I was using from them for nearly 30,000 miles. I just like good synthetics and I know that Redline is one of them.

Our Volvo is spec'd for 3309.

I just order the case of 3309 from Amazon and do drain and fill.

There are plenty of success stories with Amsoil, Maxlife, Redline, etc.

Originally Posted By: Chuckh
It gets compared with Amsoil alot but Amsoil has a bit of a shaky reputation.

And you heard this where? I can assure you there are many vehicles running many miles on Amsoil ATF, with exactly zero AT problems.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

And you heard this where? I can assure you there are many vehicles running many miles on Amsoil ATF, with exactly zero AT problems.

He's probably thinking of Amway. I can vouch for Amsoil in a Volvo that uses 3309/T-IV. I did not like the shift of the transmission with T-IV. The Amsoil ATF was night and day better. Shifted like new. I put 60k miles on it with the Amsoil before I sold it with no issues at all.

Last edited:
I would think synthetic would not be good for an automatic.
Why? It does seem that it is something that leaks easier and would have a slipperier coefficient of friction (lower)and thus let clutches slip more, and maybe why everyone thinks the trans is shifting better, and that doesn't always equate to better durability. So that is why I would stay with what the manufacture says to use especially on the older cars.

Honestly, the stuff people attribute to "synthetic" is only outweighed by the silly stuff they attribute to oil in general.

So is it clear what the OP's car even specifies? I'm not sure after reading this whole thread.

Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
I would think synthetic would not be good for an automatic.
Why? It does seem that it is something that leaks easier and would have a slipperier coefficient of friction (lower)and thus let clutches slip more, and maybe why everyone thinks the trans is shifting better, and that doesn't always equate to better durability.

I think you may need to read more about ATF fluids in the White Papers Forum

Leaks, not an issue with modern seals. Fluids are tested for seal compatibility.

The dynamic coefficient of friction for the wet clutches is determined primarily by the friction modification chemistry found in the additive package.

Synthetic base oils are less susceptible to oxidation which reduces the life of the ATF.

Durability is determined by transmission design and by the Anti-Wear chemistry found in the additive package.

Last edited:
Quote:
The Redline fluid is 12.00 per quart but it should be excellent fluid. It gets compared with Amsoil alot but Amsoil has a bit of a shaky reputation.

Both oils are excellent lubricants and both have good reputations.

Be careful who you slam here without any proof or explanation.

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic ATF is approved for JWS 3309. Approved, not suitable or recommended for. At Pepboys for $5.75/quart. The only place I have seen it.

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic ATF is approved for JWS 3309. Approved, not suitable or recommended for. At Pepboys for $5.75/quart. The only place I have seen it.

Is this the same as their multi-vehicle fluid?

Originally Posted By: ET16
Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier

Is this the same as their multi-vehicle fluid?

I believe so and also Shell Spirax S5 ATF X.

See:

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1661578pdf?$PDF$

and

http://s02.static-shell.com/content/dam/...tfxbrochure.pdf

Originally Posted By: Tones
Originally Posted By: Pablo

He's probably thinking of Amway. I can vouch for Amsoil in a Volvo that uses 3309/T-IV. I did not like the shift of the transmission with T-IV. The Amsoil ATF was night and day better. Shifted like new. I put 60k miles on it with the Amsoil before I sold it with no issues at all.

I use amsoil ATF in everything we own, and family cars I help out on. Just did 2 drain/fills to a new-to-us 2005 s60, which wants 3309. a 1st-2nd shift flare is markedly reduced and it had a "nothcy" feeling shift that has smoothed about in the 2-3 weeks following the fluid change. I have been bitten before by using universal ATF's from other brands but have never had a bad experience with amsoil. Been using their ATF and gear lube for 10 years +.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back