Justice for black kid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is true that American society does have a bias but based on the information on this case it is a misconduct of a police and incompetent of the public attorney.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Folks forget the police have a better than 99% successful interaction with the citizenry.

Really? In my neighborhood, the majority of the citizens hate the police. Even the law abiding folks do not care for the police. They tried to introduce a CAPS program that had citizens & police working together. It didn't work out at all because of the "us verses them" mentality.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234

Really? In my neighborhood, the majority of the citizens hate the police. Even the law abiding folks do not care for the police. They tried to introduce a CAPS program that had citizens & police working together. It didn't work out at all because of the "us verses them" mentality.

Good let them hate the cops and continue to kill each other..its win-win.

Al, urban communities need to be able to trust those that police their neighborhoods. These interrogation stories are far more common than most realize. A 14 yr old child should have a parent and lawyer present. It's common sense, isn't it?? If you wonder why an innocent person would confess to a crime they didn't commit then you are under estimating how manipulative big city detectives can be.

Why charged as an adult is the question. Was it prior criminal history or simply the gruesome nature of the alleged crime?

Originally Posted By: Win
Quote:
Agreed. I'd also agree that the public defender was probably overworked and underpaid, and that's common all over the world.

Not an excuse for professional negligence in any profession that I'm aware of.

Quote:
A 14 years should never be interrogated without a lawyer or parent present. That jumps out at me right off.

That's the law in my state and probably most states with a modern criminal / juvenile code.

Quote:
What I'm saying is that if a minor confesses, there better be some air tight safeguards in place to make sure it's a valid confession

Apparently this minor was charged as an adult, which by itself is unusual for a fourteen year old. Regardless, in my state, every defendant, regardless of age, when making a guilty plea, has to state on the record what he/she did that constitutes the offense to which he/she is pleading. No factual basis, no acceptance of the guilty plea.

Quote:
There was another person confessed of killing those 4 persons.

Not unheard of - while not common, criminals already in big trouble do confess for other criminals. Without knowing more, another confession might not be very persuasive. People, including adults, even innocent ones, do make false confessions. It sounds crazy, but it does happen.

Being a police officer should be about serving the community. Not railroading for confessions or making illegal stops that the ACLU has labeled as illegal.

And being a citizen means working with the police and not getting situational amnesia when the police are trying to solve a crime in your neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
And being a citizen means working with the police and not getting situational amnesia when the police are trying to solve a crime in your neighborhood.

The problem is you tell the police what you saw, and the next day your house is torched. Want to end these gangs? Legalize drugs.

Why should I help the police do their jobs? They are highly paid and highly trained. In my neighborhood, the detectives don't even bother to ask a lot of questions because they already know that no one saw anything. They should be "walking the beat" like the old days and socialize with every business and friendly citizen they serve.

Why should I help the police do their jobs? They are highly paid and highly trained. In my neighborhood, the detectives don't even bother to ask a lot of questions because they already know that no one saw anything. They should be "walking the beat" like the old days and socialize with every business and friendly citizen they serve.

confused2.gif

dish, whats with the unsmiley face? A part of the reason the crime is out of control in my city is because the detectives and beat cops don't give a rats tail about illegal behavior. "Open air" drug markets run 24/7. Some blocks are like a drive through pharmacy.

dish, whats with the unsmiley face? A part of the reason the crime is out of control in my city is because the detectives and beat cops don't give a rats tail about illegal behavior. "Open air" drug markets run 24/7. Some blocks are like a drive through pharmacy.

Which is exactly what funds the gangs and why drugs need to be legalized. Cops need witnesses to solve crimes and prosecute criminals, I get the single mother that is afraid to talk but not talking because you don't like the police is a goofy position to hold, imo.

Dish, I could get killed for tattling on the local dealers. Truth be told, I know one of them and except for selling narcotics hes a very nice young man. Not sure if it matter but heroin is overtaking crack for the #1 seller.

Originally Posted By: Win
Quote:
Agreed. I'd also agree that the public defender was probably overworked and underpaid, and that's common all over the world.

Not an excuse for professional negligence in any profession that I'm aware of.

Unfortunately, that's the reality of it. When you have one Legal Aid lawyer handling 50 clients on one day's docket, well, you figure it out. That lawyer doesn't have the time to take even one of those cases to trial. It's not professional negligence when there simply aren't enough hours in the day, even working twenty-four hours a day, to get the job done.

I like that - situational amnesia. It firts perfectly.

Dish, I could get killed for tattling on the local dealers. Truth be told, I know one of them and except for selling narcotics hes a very nice young man.

Far enough. Now, explain to me why all the vitriol is reserved for the police, rather than the dealers who would kill you? The one is a very nice man, but would kill you for "tattling." Yet, the police, who have a job to do, are hated and deserve no cooperation?

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I don't see how adding "black kid" to the thread title is relevant. Race has nothing to do with what happened.

White kids are treated differently. A white guy gets 3 months for rape, for example. A black kid gets killed for owning a BB gun.

vastly different standards.

Complete and total [censored]. I know of the incident you speak of with the BB gun. If that was a white kid standing there waving it around and threatening people he would have been shot too.

You want the Police to do their job but you won't help them( which is needed for them to do it ).

Typical of those who complain about the Police and justice system these days.

You sir are part of the problem with that attitude.

So you want them to walk the beat and socialize with all the friendly citizens....would these be the same "friendly citizens" who you earlier stated hate the police ? I agree that more personal interaction can be helpful, but when you have an area where many of the "friendly citizens" would just as soon shoot a cop as talk to one, the dynamics change.

The OP stated:
"A 14 years old kid went to jail for 9 years for a crime he didn't commit, mainly because of a cop committed perjury."

IMO,
If a cop/prosecutor uses trickery (including illegal stuff) to INTENTIONALLY get a conviction of an INNOCENT person...I say throw the book at them.

If a cop/prosecutor uses trickery (not illegal stuff) to convict a person that they believe to be GUILTY....I have little problem with it.

As far as the 'race' question....it seems that when the victim is black the media use race but when the victim is white (and the perpetrator is black) the media play down race.

According to the DOJ..a white American is 6 times more likely to be the victim of violent crime committed by a black than the other way around. This is even more startling when you take into account that blacks are approx. 13 % of the population with males being less than half of that.

PS: I don't know anything about the case or the kid in question but the OP seems to know that he is innocent??

Then why should the police try to solve crimes in your neighborhood? Someone steals your car. Everyone has amnesia.

Someone shot up the neighbor's house, everyone has amnesia.

If the neighborhood don't care enough to be part of the solution cleaning up things, why would any rational person think the police are going to care?

That's the difference between you and me. I think it is the job of the community to be part of the solution, not passing the buck to someone else saying it's their job, not mine.

Because no one will care more than those most local to the problem. You cannot expect others to care more. Therefore, if the neighborhood doesn't care, the police will take their cue and follow suit.

Why charged as an adult is the question. Was it prior criminal history or simply the gruesome nature of the alleged crime?

Because 4 people were murdered. If a 14 year old kills 4 people, they should be tried as an adult. And they will be tried as an adult in all 50 states. The juvenile system is not set up to handle such a crime and cannot offer sufficient punishment for such a crime.

If they were tried in the juvenile system, they would be released from incarceration on their 21st birthday. So the kid would get 6.5 years incarceration for killing 4 people. And will kill again as soon as he gets out. This of course is assuming that the 14 year old actually committed the crime and didn't confess to a crime they didn't commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back