Off Duty Police Officer fatally shoots burglar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHILADELPHIA -

As crime scene investigators dusted for fingerprints at his family's Andorra home, veteran Warminster Police Officer Chris McCole stood outside talking to investigators and friends, just hours after he met an unwelcome burglar face-to-face in an upstairs bedroom and fatally shot the intruder.

"Thank God it was a police officer who could do something about it before his family was hurt," said neighbor Sharon Fischer.

"We're just glad our officer is OK and that Philadelphia Police responded in a timely fashion, helped our officer and did an outstanding, professional job," said Lt. Jim Donnelly of the Warminster Police.

Police say the off-duty McCole, his wife and four children were asleep around 4 a.m. when he heard someone rifling through his Honda minivan. He went to investigate and the suspect took off in the vehicle. The 23-year veteran officer returned to the house, got his family out, then grabbed his gun and confronted a second burglar inside his home in a second floor bedroom where he fired the fatal shots.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/19091970/off-duty-officer-shoots-burglar-to-death-in-home-invasion

You know I would not shoot anyone in the back. But if someone was shot in the back while burglarizing a home I do not feel sorry for him or her.

IMO if this happened to everyone who did home invasion and stole cars it would be such a deterrent that the crime rate would plummet.

So sad, too bad. Lawsuit to follow. Hopefully, the city doesn't pay everyone who brings forth a lawsuit like in NYC. You could shoot and kill GodZilla in NYC, and if his parents sue, they would get 300K no prob.

Originally Posted By: Rand
IMO if this happened to everyone who did home invasion and stole cars it would be such a deterrent that the crime rate would plummet.

This probably depends more on where you live. There are always those who are morally bankrupt. The difference between a home invader with low morals and a non-home invader with low morals might just be that one has a job and another is desperate.

VAGUE generalization, I know, but so is assuming that every home invader looking only to nick your valuables deserves to be shot in the back as they realize their mistake too late.

In this case, I wasn't there and don't have all of the details, but if the officer was or perceived to be threatened, the shooting was justified. With his level of experience, I can only assume he was unable to first resolve this peacefully and didn't intend to kill the man.

I know in Iowa if an intruder poses an imminent threat to your life or family, you can shoot them and not be liable for any civil suits afterwards, if you are cleared of any charges (if you were charged). This does not count towards "stuff" only your life. Just what I learned in my CCW class 2 weeks ago. This is exactly why we need to protect our 2nd amendment rights.

Last edited:
The bottom line is when your castle has been invaded by criminals you can ASSUME that your well being is most likely in danger.

I say they can be shot in the back as well (in your home) because you do NOT know if they have a weapon they might be ready to turn on you or possibly an accomplice.

If more kill shots were taken in homes that are being invaded I too agree that the crime rates would drop to nearly ZERO over time. Even the drug zombies would have enough memory under the influence to think twice. LOL

Good for the cop. Bottom line is someone breaking into your home isn't there to sell Tupperware.
I wouldn't hang around making small talk with a burglar who knows if he has a gun, knife or high on crack. Shoot the scum and be done with it.

A cop friend told me if you shoot someone breaking into your house make darn sure he is in the house (don't smoke him coming through the window) and make sure you kill him.

I have came to the conclusion the best defense to any lawsuit or possible criminal charges if I were to defend myself against a home invasion is to shoot to kill.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
shoot to kill.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Good for the cop. Bottom line is someone breaking into your home isn't there to sell Tupperware.
I wouldn't hang around making small talk with a burglar who knows if he has a gun, knife or high on crack. Shoot the scum and be done with it.

A cop friend told me if you shoot someone breaking into your house make darn sure he is in the house (don't smoke him coming through the window) and make sure you kill him.

That is exactly what a cop told me and my parents 40+ years ago. He said if the guy starts to stagger back out the door to be sure to grab him and pull him back. Guess it hasn't changed.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Can't help but think all criminals would be much more careful if those carrying would shoot more often.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The bottom line is when your castle has been invaded by criminals you can ASSUME that your well being is most likely in danger.

I say they can be shot in the back as well (in your home) because you do NOT know if they have a weapon they might be ready to turn on you or possibly an accomplice.

If more kill shots were taken in homes that are being invaded I too agree that the crime rates would drop to nearly ZERO over time. Even the drug zombies would have enough memory under the influence to think twice. LOL

+1

If it was NY ...

He would have got in trouble for going back into the house, trying to save his family and shooting the burgler in process.

[censored], if he were in NY, he'd be facing at least a murder charge and would probably be successfully sued by the living burglar for hurting the remianing burgler's "friend" and emotional damages and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back