Just walked out when buying a truck, because of $995 for 'ceramic paint coating'.

There isn't any difference. It's basically Internet buying-just like you can on a Dealer's website. Amazon is just a platform.

Quote-

Your new Hyundai Santa Fe or Sonata won’t be delivered to your front door in a gray van, though. Once you’ve selected your vehicle from a local Hyundai dealer’s inventory, you’ll pick up the car at a dealership, just like any other time a customer purchases a car.

Laws in most US states protect auto dealerships from automakers who might want to sell directly to consumers. Being able to literally buy a car online has been a source of contention for Tesla, Rivian and other automakers that prefer to deal directly with customers.

“It’s not like you’re going to buy it, and then the car will be delivered to your house the next day, like you’re a Prime member or something like that,” said Jessica Caldwell, an industry analyst with Edmunds.com. “If that is the expectation then that needs to be managed, because I would imagine that would lead to quite a bit of disappointment on the consumer end.”

end quote

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/business/hyundai-cars-for-sale-on-amazon/index.html

State franchise laws HAVE NOT GONE AWAY.
I wonder if Amazon will allow dealers to use real time algorithms to set pricing?

Most people buying new cars have trades. Wonder how that will work. Still room for dealer’s tricks probably.
there are a bunch of places that will buy your car - Vroom, carmax, about any dealer.

Now if your underwater and trying to roll the note, then thats a different problem. Of course those are usually the people paying for $995 paint add ons, hence the reason there under-water so there likely not in Amazon's target market.

I bought my last 2 cars online - 2011 and 2019. Best way IMHO.

I wonder if Amazon will allow dealers to use real time algorithms to set pricing?
Good question. If you are tracking prices- and saw a lower price yesterday, you would want the price that is lower. We are not taking about a difference of $ 5 or $10 on a socket wrench.

Sounds like a business model I should pursue...didn't realize there were suckers spending 3k on paint protection these days...hmmmm
3 handwashes then hand drying, to include many edges.. then then twice degreasing the entire car with alcohol to include edging and taping off sensitive areas, then 2 days of drying indoors then finally hand applying ceramic coat fluid.
In one german youtube video I saw, they quoted over 40 hours of labor and it was believable form what they showed.
3000 Euros was the number the commenters mentioned ( I did not have the patience to watch the entire vid)

So when properly done this not just a spray on and wipe with a bottle from pepboys that says "Ceramic coating" on it.
but I strongly suspect the dealer did not do the profesisonlal level 40 hours job, it would be a loss leader for them otherwise, but simply did a wipe down with a ceramic polish bottle and called it a day.

3 handwashes then hand drying, to include many edges.. then then twice degreasing the entire car with alcohol to include edging and taping off sensitive areas, then 2 days of drying indoors then finally hand applying ceramic coat fluid.
In one german youtube video I saw, they quoted over 40 hours of labor and it was believable form what they showed.
3000 Euros was the number the commenters mentioned ( I did not have the patience to watch the entire vid)

So when properly done this not just a spray on and wipe with a bottle from pepboys that says "Ceramic coating" on it.
but I strongly suspect the dealer did not do the profesisonlal level 40 hours job, it would be a loss leader for them otherwise, but simply did a wipe down with a ceramic polish bottle and called it a day.
Not to mention most proper ceramic jobs start with paint correction. If paint correction was part of it I would pay that, but that whole process plus ceramic is definitely more than $995. Unfortunately I think this is just a creative markup not listed as a "market adjustment" with a $100-$200 basic ceramic coat added.

The labor your describing makes coatings pointless. At that point just ppf, which provides a physical barrier
Not to mention most proper ceramic jobs start with paint correction. If paint correction was part of it I would pay that, but that whole process plus ceramic is definitely more than $995. Unfortunately I think this is just a creative markup not listed as a "market adjustment" with a $100-$200 basic ceramic coat added.

The labor your describing makes coatings pointless. At that point just ppf, which provides a physical barrier
To be honest I'd just care more about the paint correction than I do the coating. I know everyone goes nuts about PPF, but you're adding a layer over the paint that even in a small way affects the look of the paint and the fact that it needs to replaced every 5 years with the risk of pulling off clear coat when it's removed, it's just not something I'd consider on a daily driven vehicle. I absolutely hate seeing these seams and while I know most can be hidden, you're paying big money to do so. I've owned one wrapped car as a color change which I know is not the same product, but I just couldn't stand the visible seams with it either.

Personally I just apply Turtle's ceramic coat every time I was the vehicle. It's inexpensive, works as a detail spray and the car always looks and feels freshly waxed. I think almost all long lasting expensive coatings are a waste of money especially if it has to be removed to do work to the car. I'd rather use a cheaper, easier to use product, and just maintain it more often. It takes me an extra 20 minutes every time I wash the vehicle and insures I get all water spots off the paint.

Dealers are hurting and trying grab every dollar they can get. I would like to recommend two YT channels if you're looking on buying a car in the next year or so. One is Ray and Zach that runs for around 30 minutes at noon most days. It's all about buying cars and getting the very best prices. They have a website that has some really good free tools to give you a huge advantage before you even walk onto the dealers property. The other channel is Car Questions Answered. The guy owns a used car lot in or near Charlotte, NC., he never tells you the name. He takes you with him while buying cars at the local auctions so you know what used vehicles are really going for in the wholesale market. He also walks the lots of new car dealers around him pointing out the MSRP prices and add-ons added to, plus discounts dealers are pushing trying to move metal off their lots. Both are very pro consumer and are very helpful to anyone looking at buying a new or used vehicle. Both channels will tell you to walk, if a dealer starts piling add-ons to the MSRP to boost the sales price. At this point you should be able to buy most vehicles out there, for at minimum MSRP or under. Never pay more than MSRP on any vehicle.

+2

All that work plus the paint correction beforehand (like Torrid mentioned but I don't know how to quote you both). That's why it costs a lot at the high-end shops. As has been mentioned, it's not just a kid with a spray bottle, like it is at the dealer.

Near me is Chicago Auto Pros. www.chicagoautopros.com Check out their videos; they show a lot of their services on Youtube. Super cool guys too and they'll gladly let you come in and talk cars with them even if you're just dropping by to buy towels or supplies.

For most people sure scheduling a separate tint, clear film, or ceramic coating job is cheaper but if you're dropping $100,000 on a vehicle and the dealership only charges a small amount in comparison to the purchase price.
And that's a common financial error. $500 is $500 whether it's on its own or added onto a $100,000 purchase.

When we bought one of our houses the owners wanted $225,000 and we offered $224,500. Their realtor couldn't understand why we weren't willing to pay "only $500 more" to make the deal. Because $500 is $500. And $500 is a lot of money. At least it was then. After a little back and forth we got it for $224,500.

Preparing the paint properly is essential.

When we test drove a Tesla we went to a local shop that sold used Teslas. There was no local Tesla outlet at the time. They had a dark blue Tesla on their lot with a bad ceramic coat. The paint hadn't been prepared properly and someone had put a ceramic coat over top of streaks in the paint. The shop owner commented that it would take years for those streaks to disappear. So a bad ceramic coat job is pretty bad.

Wouldn't that be frustrating. No matter how much you wash, buff, clay, or polish that car, the paint would have streaks.

I won't set foot on any of Napleton's lots. I'm not that stupid, LOL...

This happened at a dealership in Indiana.
Screenshot_20231125_051310_Chrome.jpg

Folks are buying cars right now because they have to. I've never seen so many scrap cars traded in. And they're buying biweekly payments. Under $300 biweekly is the sweet spot.
Interesting. I wonder if they would normally be buying something not new, but because used options are so bad, at least on the financial side, that they “have to” go new in order to make the payments?

It (supposedly) had already been done. No choice. Not sure how one would ever be able to tell or not, or how good of a job was done.

Odd that all of the dealers want to sell you 'invisible' things that you can't tell that if they've done or not... Paint protection, fabric protection, nitrogen in your tires, BG fluids...
There is nothing odd at all about how they "play the game" to reap maximum profit for the dealership. We all know that this is the standard modus operandi for today's business model. Hence, coining of the derogatory term "stealership".

The salesman sent me an email and asked me IF he could get the $995 fee waived, would I still be interested. Nope. Sorry. You had your chance.
I know that I will get some flak for this, but if you take the emotion out of the situation and only view the negotiation process from a purely objective position, the salesman offered you exactly what you were willing to pay for the truck only 24 hours earlier. While I fully understand the feeling of being treated deceitfully by their sales tactics, I also know how their business model works well before stepping into their showroom. As such, I set my maximum price point in advance and assume that everyone associated with the dealership will try to leverage as much money away from me as possible. The art of successful negotiation is keeping focus on accomplishing the goal objectively without succumbing to the emotional turmoil that will derail you from the desired end point.

Obviously, no one wants to knowingly do business with a party that they perceive to be "dishonest". However, that dealership is just as honest (or dishonest) today as it was two weeks ago before you stepped onto their lot. You would have a completely different perception of them if they completed the sale without trying to tack on the $995 ceramic coating fee. I see this ploy as similar to the decades long practice of other useless add-ons (e.g., fabric protection, Polyglycoat, window etching, nitrogen fill), including extended maintenance warranties and inflated finance rates. If they meet my price point at the end of the negotiation process, I'll close the deal on my terms unless they do something so egregious that it forces me to walk away. I suppose we each have our threshold on where that line is drawn.

Last edited:
There is nothing odd at all about how they "play the game" to reap maximum profit for the dealership. We all know that this is the standard modus operandi for today's business model. Hence, coining of the derogatory term "stealership".

I know that I will get some flak for this, but if you take the emotion out of the situation and only view the negotiation process from a purely objective position, the salesman offered you exactly what you were willing to pay for the truck only 24 hours earlier. While I fully understand the feeling of being treated deceitfully by their sales tactics, I also know how their business model works well before stepping into their showroom. As such, I set my maximum price point in advance and assume that everyone associated with the dealership will try to leverage as much money away from me as possible. The art of successful negotiation is keeping focus on accomplishing the goal objectively without succumbing to the emotional turmoil that will derail you from the desired end point.

Obviously, no one wants to knowingly do business with a party that they perceive to be "dishonest". However, that dealership is just as honest (or dishonest) today as it was two weeks ago before you stepped onto their lot. You would have a completely different perception of them if they completed the sale without trying to tack on the $995 ceramic coating fee. I see this ploy as similar to the decades long practice of other useless add-ons (e.g., fabric protection, Polyglycoat, window etching, nitrogen fill), including extended maintenance warranties and inflated finance rates. If they meet my price point at the end of the negotiation process, I'll close the deal on my terms unless they do something so egregious that forces me to walk away. I suppose we each have our threshold on where that line is drawn.
No flak here - crossed my mind too …

Was finally told by the salesman that there was an additional $995 dealer charge for a "ceramic paint coating". This is on a less than 2 year old pickup truck with 19,000 miles.

All of my vehicles are kept inside, and are inside 99% of the time... as I work from home now. Maybe if the vehicle sat outside 99% of the time, I'd feel differently. But I wasn't given any choice on this.

I walked away from the deal. I'll keep looking elsewhere. I have zero tolerance for dealership rubbish like this.
It's a slimy car dealer. Don't know how to play? Reply "I'll give you $100- for that, Accept my offer or we are DONE here.

Interesting. I wonder if they would normally be buying something not new, but because used options are so bad, at least on the financial side, that they “have to” go new in order to make the payments?
Used car market values have dropped, as manufacturers pile on incentives on new. Used prices have to drop, to keep the price differential in place, which means trade in values are dropping. Pretty specific example, but Cummins 2500s have lost 20% trade value in a year.
Lower commercial demand and higher diesel prices main reasons imo. Contractors are less busy, means less HD demand.
Higher interest rates are definitely slowing down housing demand, working as intended.

Also, haven't seen this much new inventory on lots since 2019. Honda and Toyota lots are full. And its piling up.

Back