Just walked out when buying a truck, because of $995 for 'ceramic paint coating'.

But the equipment is still in the car. It’s usually under the dash. I would rip it out.

To the OP, good for you. It seems every dealer near me adds the BS items to the car, sealant, alarm, “protection package”.

Just curious, why would you rip it out if it's already installed? I get to track my vehicle using an app and I believe even discounted my insurance a few bucks. I didn't pay for it so it doesn't really bother me being there.

Nice to stand your ground!

So, would you guys consider ceramic coatings snake oil/useless? Ultimately, it seems you end up back at square one, except with more expensive shampoos, conditioners, detail sprays etc made to preserve the ceramic coating…. which is what we’re all generally doing for the clear coat.

Hmm

So, would you guys consider ceramic coatings snake oil/useless? Ultimately, it seems you end up back at square one, except with more expensive shampoos, conditioners, detail sprays etc made to preserve the ceramic coating…. which is what we’re all generally doing for the clear coat.

Hmm

I'm not well versed in ceramic coatings, so can't really speak to that. But it seems likely to me the dealer is going to charge you way more than the job is even worth. And as others mentioned, that's if they even did the work to begin with.

You would probably be better of buying the car and then finding a detail shop that does the work yourself.

This wasn't printed on the buyers guide in the window along with the processing fee? Maybe have a talk with someone at dealer licensing in your state.
I'm looking at an on-line copy of the FTC Buyer's Guide (shown below), and only see where this form addresses warranty issues.... and not processing fees or TruCoat fees. This truck will have the remainder of the factory bumper to bumper and drivetrain warranties.

On their website, it clearly states that doc fees are $235, and I'd seen that. But nothing about $995 for the TruCoat. LOL.

1700187581205.jpg

The Buyers Guide​

A disclosure document that gives consumers important purchasing and warranty information, the Buyers Guide tells consumers:

• the major mechanical and electrical systems on the car, as well as some of the major problems that consumers should look out for;
  • whether the vehicle is being sold "as is" or with a warranty;
  • what percentage of the repair costs a dealer will pay under warranty;
  • that oral promises are difficult to enforce;
  • to get all promises in writing;
  • to ask to have the car inspected by an independent mechanic before they buy;
  • to get a vehicle history report and to visit ftc.gov/usedcars for information on how to get a vehicle history report, how to check for safety recalls, and other topics; and
  • to ask for a Spanish Buyers Guide if the sale is conducted in Spanish; and
  • to keep the Buyers Guide for reference after the sale.

The scam that I've seen at one other dealer is a flasher that they install on the third brake light. At least this dealer only admits that they've done it. This advertisement is plastered all over their website. I'd hate to know what they charge for this.

Oh.... and "BG" fluids/additives pre-installed at another dealer.

1700188504286.jpg

I have a buddy who is a VP of Business and Ag Banking at a bank. He just sent me this tonight:
"Many car dealer sales are slowing down, a couple dealers have told me sales are coming down 30-40% compared to last year."
One week from today is Thanksgiving. Then in 4 weeks.... it is Christmas. I'm in no hurry.

I won't set foot on any of Napleton's lots. I'm not that stupid, LOL...

This happened at a dealership in Indiana.
They have a bunch here, the Napleton Kia dealer in Caramel tried to do the not optional upgrades thing to my dad, then a year later I seen they settled with the FTC, I they did it pretty quick, I think they ended up getting off too easy.

I have a buddy who is a VP of Business and Ag Banking at a bank. He just sent me this tonight:
"Many car dealer sales are slowing down, a couple dealers have told me sales are coming down 30-40% compared to last year."
One week from today is Thanksgiving. Then in 4 weeks.... it is Christmas. I'm in no hurry.
At this point unless you got a surplus of cash I don't see how people are getting vehicles, what's an auto loan now, 9-10% for a prime borrower and absolutely unaffordable for a subprime borrower?

Hmm
It depends. A “proper” ceramic coating will involve making sure the paint is in as good of condition as possible before applying the ceramic coating and will run you $1,000 or more depending on the size of the vehicle and what condition the paint is in.

What the dealer is doing is definitely not that. At best they’re giving it a quick wash and probably using some spray on ceramic wax that you could go buy for $20 at Walmart.

Napleton is my nearest Kia dealer. Have had good luck with my Soul and am going to hand it down and buy a new one (with a yellow steering wheel lock cause the Kia Boyz still might break the windows since they're not very smart). Have heard Napleton called out for years, was hoping they might have changed but looks like some things don't change.

Hate dealer markups, never paid one yet, almost didnt get an online discount once. Found the truck, Went to the dealer, reviewed the paperwork and oops, in-between all the crap, they "forgot" about the online discount. Turned into a big deal for them and the salesperson. Not for us, after all I had the printout of the truck online.
25 minutes maybe later? They had all new paperwork done. To the salesperson credit he didnt once question our position. It was him and the dealership.

As far as the OP. I dont know what I would do, most likely walk and see what else is out there. Most times its supply and demand and chances are someone else will pay it. You do have more negotiation power a few days to a day or so at the end of the month.
Dealers, Managers, Salespeople are under a lot of pressure to hit sales goals, if lucky and they arent at the goal yet, they will make any deal that they can happen. Many times a salesperson will even take a hit on their commission if they have to, in order to hit a monthly bonus.

The Griot's Garage 3 in 1 Ceramic works as well as, and lasts as long as, all of the major ceramic coatings.
It’s a good product but it does not even come close to a real (good) bottled ceramic coating in performance or durability. I used it for 2 years and still use it on my parents’ cars so I’m not just saying this as a hater. I’m fully on board with your recommendation to use though it as it has terrific a results vs effort ratio. For sprays I like Fireball Pirouette better even though it does not last as long (more hydrophobic and sheets faster).

At this point unless you got a surplus of cash I don't see how people are getting vehicles, what's an auto loan now, 9-10% for a prime borrower and absolutely unaffordable for a subprime borrower?
Folks are buying cars right now because they have to. I've never seen so many scrap cars traded in. And they're buying biweekly payments. Under $300 biweekly is the sweet spot.
Interesting that our scrap car buyer just cut their guaranteed pricing in half to about $400 a vehicle. Too much supply? Not enough margin on teardown? Scrap Cat prices dropped? Probably all 3.
We have a 2023 new Ram Rebel on a BF deal for under $50k USD. Times have changed.

A lot of that add on stuff is going away finally. And they are actually discounting. Just wait for the interest rates to come down by manufacturers soon to push more vehicles out the doors.

But on the flip side sticker prices are increasing again

Was finally told by the salesman that there was an additional $995 dealer charge for a "ceramic paint coating". This is on a less than 2 year old pickup truck with 19,000 miles.

All of my vehicles are kept inside, and are inside 99% of the time... as I work from home now. Maybe if the vehicle sat outside 99% of the time, I'd feel differently. But I wasn't given any choice on this.

I walked away from the deal. I'll keep looking elsewhere. I have zero tolerance for dealership rubbish like this.
Was this an option you could choose or it had already been done and you had no choice?

Back