Just started to change my own oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
After years of being lied to and jerked around by the quickie lubes I have had it! One recent occurance where I knew for a fact I was being lied to did it. I am done with that scene forever. Then I found this site. I still haven't decided whether that is good or bad.

Now I feel incredibly stupid for ever paying them to do it when I can do it for 1/2-1/3 the cost and still use higher quality oil and filters. I also have a new found attachment to my beloved Mustang. I feel like I am taking care of her and that makes me feel very satisfied.

Anyway, now that I am here and making my first post, I have a few questions.

I am changing the oil regularly in three cars now: 2000 Mustang V6 (105,000 miles), 2000 Mercury Sable 12V V6 (125,000 miles), and a 1997 Buick LeSabre (98,000 miles). Up till now I have let the Valvoline fast oil change centers use 10w30 Max Life Blend with Valvoline white oil filters. I have not changed weights in the winter because I live in a mild climate with very hot summers and only cool winters (a 20 deg morning at worst, usually 35-50 degrees). In the Sable and LeSabre this seems to produce cool and quiet engines that never give much trouble no matter the weather.

However, in the Mustang, I get audible clicking and tapping sounds from near the top of the engine during idle until warm and almost always during cold weather. The engine looks clean both inside upon inspection. I used to use Valvoline white bottle conventional 10w30 in this car and didn't notice such sounds at all. I switched to Max Life at about 80,000 miles. I understand the Mustang manual specifies 5w30.

So, for the Mustang, I have decided to switch to 5w30 in one of threse options on my next change: Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum, Q Horsepower, or Royal Purple. Now I have been reading the boards for a while and it seems Castrol and Royal Purple get very little respect. However, I have heard friends say Royal Purple makes a difference for them in audible noise and gas mileage. I like the Castrol Syntec because of its strong add pack and it being on the lighter side of its specified weight. I am thinking this lighter weight may reduce or stop the clicking and tapping noises on cold mornings.

I also bought a lot (same filter for the Sable and Mustang) of Purolator Pure One filters for no other reason than that I hear they are some of the best and I love that matte gold finish on them.

One last thing, I do 3-4 month/3000-4000 mile OCIs on the Mustang because it is a short trip vehicle that rarely warms to full temperature. Plus, it's a manual transmission and I drive it hard sometimes. All in the rather extreme southern heat.

Should the lighter weight oil make a difference? Should I try the new Ford recommendation of 5w20? Any other recommendations?

Just for your information, I am one of those guys who believes they feel real perceived minute differences in the butt dyno after fresh oil is put in. Yes, I am one of those types.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

There are many great guys and gals on here that are always happy to assist with mechanical issues and then sit around and talk about the success stories afterwards.

Congratulations on joining the DIY bandwagon.

If the stang were mine, I would run 5w-30 in it. any of those you mentioned is fine - although I would consider running PP (currently $5 for 5 qts) because you can change it often (short trips)

obviously your filters are fine!

Quote:
Now I feel incredibly stupid for ever paying them to do it when I can do it for 1/2-1/3 the cost and still use higher quality oil and filters. I also have a new found attachment to my beloved Mustang. I feel like I am taking care of her and that makes me feel very satisfied.

Wy wife will see a quickie place advertise a $19.99 oil change and say "wouldn't you rather just take it there?" I say no for 4 reasons:

1. If I buy oil and filters with rebates and deals it is considerably less than $19.99 (often free!)

2. It's $19.99 plus shop fee plus disposal fee plus tax plus upcharge if I want real oil plus this plus that.

3. I trust I do it right.

4. Simpler to do myself that dink around with driving somewhere, waiting in their waiting room, I can do something else at home while oil is draining, etc.

So I think it's great you started doing it yourself.

John

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on viscosity, and you'll be fine as long as you use a decent quality oil and filter.

My own preferences (not in order) are the synthetics Pennzoil Platinum, Q-Horsepower(Ultimate Durability), Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. As for filters, I usually look for deals.

Welcome, OilyBear!

You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
02.gif

Since you asked, I would say switch to PP, although the others are also very fine oils. You should also not be afraid to try Motorcraft 5W-20. It worked very well in 2 Tauri I maintained, both with the Vulcan motor, which is a cast-iron 2V pushrod motor similar to your 3.8L Essex.

...and $11.50 for the 5qt jug at Wally's can't be beat.

welcome. all 4 listed oils are high guality, and 5w-30 is a good choice. personally, i would use PP of the 4 that you listed. the PPO filters are excellent, as well.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

There are many great guys and gals on here that are always happy to assist with mechanical issues and then sit around and talk about the success stories afterwards.

Gals! What do you mean gals?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: FowVay
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Gals! What do you mean gals?

They're here.

And they're hiding.

Good for you. Now you know whats going in your ride. Its pretty cool to see women giving advise on what works best. Some of then know more that i know.

The main reasons I do it myself are to save time and to ensure it's done right. I can do it in 15 minutes total, compared with 45min to drive to the lube place, wait, then drive back. And when I do it myself I know the drain plug is tightened to 32 lb-ft and the filter isn't overtightened.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
The main reasons I do it myself are to save time and to ensure it's done right. I can do it in 15 minutes total, compared with 45min to drive to the lube place, wait, then drive back. And when I do it myself I know the drain plug is tightened to 32 lb-ft and the filter isn't overtightened.

My wife's old civic had an aluminum pan that had the wrong oil plug in it (the Al pan is accompanied by a longer threaded plug relative to the steel pan plugs). After years of the dealer doing the OC and torquing the plug to 40 ftlb, even though I only torqued it to 25 ftlb (spec is 29) I still managed to strip the pan due to the years of neglect before I started maintaining it. So that is enough not to allow anyone but myself touch my car. However, my OC is not quick :). I usually let it drain for 2-3 hours or overnight.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so they say.

However, your problem with premature oil change completion will improve as you mature, get married, and have teenagers. I can now spend over 90 minutes of quality time in the garage before the miss's reels me in to complete the honey-do list.

Practice, and you, too can learn to extend your pleasure.

Best Regards, doitmyself

Welcome to the madness, oilybear. Please follow up and let us know if changing oil type/weight improves your Mustang noise.

Congrats. I recently returned to changing my own oil after having a few "lazy" years of letting others do it.

Like the above posters have said, I like using better quality oils and filters, and the peace of mind that the job was done right.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone :)

I have to admit that not doing it myself has been a real bother to me as I am quite a perfectionist. It kinda disappointments me that I waited till now but I got many years of doing my own work ahead. I hope to get into other things as well like other fluid changes, brake jobs, tire work, rotations, etc.

I will definitely let you guys know if the change in weights and brands of oil and filters makes any difference in the pony.

Originally Posted By: OilyBear

So, for the Mustang, I have decided to switch to 5w30 in one of threse options on my next change: Castrol Syntec, Pennzoil Platinum, Q Horsepower, or Royal Purple.

This guy say to run the Q oil. It's the more intelligent choice, and far superior to anything else in the universe.

Q01.jpg

Last edited:
Good stuff.

I usually buy a 5 quart jug at walmart of Quaker state, and buy the oil filters in bulk online.

Comes to a few bucks less than most quick lube places, but I don't mind changing the oil myself.

I know what oil is going in the car, what filter is being used, and I don't overtorque anything.

Plus I drink a couple beers while the oil is draining and hang out in the garage for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back