Just might need to replace this tire.

Car hasn't been driven in over a year. I drive it 60 miles home from my storage last Friday. I can feel a significant vibration somewhere but assume it's just flat spots on the tires from sitting. Yesterday I notice it's flat. Pump it up but this morning it's flat too. Take it off and find this.

large.jpg

This is an adhesion failure of the rubber to the steel belts. it is common in old tires. The distortion ( called an "S-distortion" in the tire industry) is caused by the fact that only the bottom belt is restricting the diameter of the tire, so it skews to one side. That top belt is needed to balance things out.

So how old are those tires?

What is the date of manufacture on this tire? I don't put enough miles on (need to sell a car or two) so I have tires with plenty of tread, but I get concerned about tire age.

The tires on my Javelin looked just like that when I replaced them. BFG Radial T/As made in 2001, they looked great, I never drove the car much and never more than a few miles. Sat for about six months and every tire had separated, belts came apart and chunks of tread missing.

What is the date of manufacture on this tire? I don't put enough miles on (need to sell a car or two) so I have tires with plenty of tread, but I get concerned about tire age.
yeah, my brother is the same...his garage queen 98 mustang is still on the factory rubber. in fact the ONLY parts that aren't factory (aside from oil and filter obvs.) are the battery and fuel pump...the original had varnished up from sitting....guess what's happened since he replaced it...more sitting....(it's gotten MAYBE 100 min on it since we last changed the oil in...2010.. maybe 2012... at which point it had ~15,500mi...

Back