Just got a little freaked out with my P.U. today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh thanks guys, now you've given me something else to be paranoid about!
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Why not just do a short OCI? Consider it a "flush." That way you'll be happy and your car will be happy and it won't keep you up at night and you'll get to do something we all love to do - change your oil
smile.gif

Around here they swap out OCD filters with Mobil 1 filters, and waste oil into fresh oil bottles quite often. I have been conditioned to check everything I buy that can be switched as a result. I got real good with checking filters, I can tell by simply lifting the box if a cheap filter was put into the Mobil 1 box. Then I give it a quick look to confirm, and I'm on my way, buying exactly what I'm paying for. I sucks to have to check, but this is seems to be a growing trend, at least around here.

Just to get you all up to date with the post on the jug of Pennzoil Ultra that I bought on clearance at Walmart with the seal broken.

Link to the old post

I went to Walmart to talk to them about the issue and they were pretty indifferent to my concerns they would not replace it with another jug since I had bought the last one. Basically they figured I bought oil and that's what I got.

So I sent a calm email to the Pennzoil customer service telling them what happened and what their thoughts were. The same day I got a reply with an attached form to fill out and mail back to them. They are going to give me a full value coupon for a 5 quart jug of P.U. at retail price!

I have to say that I am very impressed with Pennzoil customer service. By all rights they had no obligation to do this since it was a problem with Walmart anyway.

Thanks Pennzoil, you are OK in my book!

Thanks for the update. That is definitely what brings people back to using a product. Good on them, I agree.

Now if only we could get good prices at places aside from Walmart.

why wouldnt you just post this in your original 3 day old post?

no need for senseless new posts.

Some Walmart customers are real schemers. In the stores' shoe depts. it is common for some lowlifes at Walmart to leave their old worn out shoes on the shelf in the shoe dept. and walk out of store wearing new pair of shoes without paying. It wouldn't surprise me one bit idiots returning old oil in new oil jugs for a refund.

Well good on SOPUS for that. Now if they could just figure out how to pay promptly on thier rebates....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Some Walmart customers are real schemers. In the stores' shoe depts. it is common for some lowlifes at Walmart to leave their old worn out shoes on the shelf in the shoe dept. and walk out of store wearing new pair of shoes without paying. It wouldn't surprise me one bit idiots returning old oil in new oil jugs for a refund.

Back when I sold shoes that happened all the time. It was only Nikes. The trash would steal the new shoes and put their old ones in the Nike box.

Sopus did me right too one time. I`d ordered a case of PP 5W50 from Napa,and did an oil change with it. Upon pouring the last quart in my engine,I noticed a brown cracked layer of crust on the bottom of all the bottles. I emailed Sopus and had a refund check within 2 days :^)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well good on SOPUS for that. Now if they could just figure out how to pay promptly on thier rebates....
laugh.gif

Just the other day I got three checks from Quaker State in less than two weeks.

Referring to the OP's original dilemma. Given two bottles of PU side by side it really shouldn't be too difficult to compare them sufficiently to put your mind at ease.

Compare the colour, compare the smell, watch it pour, squish it between your fingers etc. You will be able to tell if they're the same stuff or if some lowlife has switched that one out for something cheap and nasty.

Last edited:
This whole dialogue illustrates clearly the conventionals ARE NOT perfectly identical to synthetics, no matter what the conventional fans say.

No one, and I mean NO ONE would accept a PU jug filled with say, SuperTech.

I didn't read that there was ever an actual determination of there being used/inferior oil in the bottle. I'll bet the op just got $25 from sopus with no basis and it probably was PU all along!

Just take a teaspoon of the PU in your mouth. Swish it around. It should taste sweet, a few notes of blueberry, and burnt rubber...some lavendar tones too.

I ran the vehicle for the first time today getting it up to running temp, found that the oil pressure was about 10 psi higher than my last OCI of P.U.. So Im "guessing" that it is something like 10w-40 in the bottle??? Def not P.U.. Draining it out tomorrow just to be safe.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I didn't read that there was ever an actual determination of there being used/inferior oil in the bottle. I'll bet the op just got $25 from sopus with no basis and it probably was PU all along!

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I ran the vehicle for the first time today getting it up to running temp, found that the oil pressure was about 10 psi higher than my last OCI of P.U.. So Im "guessing" that it is something like 10w-40 in the bottle??? Def not P.U.. Draining it out tomorrow just to be safe.

Pressure gauge readings can vary a bit, oil can take longer to fully heat up than you think, your previous fill had probably sheared/diluted a bit, your mind is playing tricks on you.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back