Just finished 35 day western U.S. road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I just wrapped up a five week road trip throughout Canada and the Rocky Mountain states in our 2017 Honda Odyssey. Stops included PA, IN, WI, ND, Saskatchewan, Alberta, MT, WY, CO, SD, IA and OH. The minivan, loaded down pretty well, racked up 8,678 miles and averaged 26 mpg. Not bad considering the amount of mountain driving we did and also driving the 75-80 mph highways.

What a beautiful country we live in, and Canada's not too shabby either. We toured four national parks: Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Also did a few state parks with Custer State Park in SD being the best. All in all, I most enjoyed the spectacular scenery in Montana, Wyoming and western South Dakota. If not for the winters, I easily could live in MT or WY.

This trip was on my bucket list, and for those who've never been to the Rocky Mountain States, I highly recommend it.

As info, the FF on the Honda didn't tick 15% on the OLM until 8,400 miles on the odometer.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Also I do love the Rockies.

Sounds like a great trip. Did you camp or motel it? Or a combination of both?

Sort of related, I've read Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie" a couple of times, think it's time to read it again. Just fun to be on the road.

Sounds like a blast! Glad you enjoyed SD (though I'm in the "flat" eastern half!).

Wow, you drive a lot. That's almost 250 miles a day for 35 days!! I hope your wife helped you do some of the driving. If I went on a vacation with that much driving, I would almost consider that work and would need to come home and relax as a vacation.

I admire your energy and hope you had a fantastic time.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
All in all, I most enjoyed the spectacular scenery in Montana, Wyoming and western South Dakota.

I agree. The western states are spectacular. My dream summer home is somewhere out there in the middle of nowhere. Winter home? Florida, of course.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
My wife and I just wrapped up a five week road trip throughout Canada and the Rocky Mountain states in our 2017 Honda Odyssey. Stops included PA, IN, WI, ND, Saskatchewan, Alberta, MT, WY, CO, SD, IA and OH. The minivan, loaded down pretty well, racked up 8,678 miles and averaged 26 mpg.trip was on my bucket list, and for those who've never been to the Rocky Mountain States, I highly recommend it.

Congrats on a fun trip. I miss my Honda Odyssey. Mine was lost in the historic Hurricane Harvey flood. Got $4500 from the insurance Co., LOL.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Very nice!
Tough to beat cruising in that part of the world.
Would you rate Glacier Number 1?

Actually the wildfire that began in Glacier in mid-August caused many closings in the park, so our sightseeing there was limited. For instance the south park entrance was closed so you could not drive the Road to the Sun or see Lake McDonald. The fire destroyed one of the old chalets. We had to drive around the east end of the park to enter from the north. We thought Yellowstone was #1.

I think the "Going to the Sun" road is my favourite memory of trips in the West USA/Canada.

Many close 2nds
cool.gif
08.gif
34.gif

Loved working summers in the Snowy Range west of Laramie when I was going to college. Those streams south of Ryan Park made daily bathing something to get done fast as they ran very cold. Think George Costanza and "shrinkage."

Sounds like a great trip, post some pictures!

I went to Yellowstone and Glacier this summer too, absolutely incredible. Also did Olympic National Park and Yosemite.

I haven't seen one of those bills in ages. Our farm, southeast of Regina, had the only natural tree for a few miles in any direction. Then, my parents decided to plant a forest, which kept my childhood very busy.

I pointed out to NormanBuntz that when he heads west of Regina on the #1, just take a look south, and you'll see miles again without a single tree, low spot, high spot, or anything.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back