Just did spark plugs at 25k @ VW

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I'd rather have a real maintenance schedule than this "Lifetime Fluid" or "lifetime plugs" Crap! I applaud VW for being real! I've pulled those fancy iridium plugs at 80K miles from [censored] cars and found them VERY worn and fuel mileage and a miss was both evident. But Honda and Yota say they are good for 100k miles! No thanks! I'll trust german engineering any day over [censored] or Korean...
wink.gif

Edit: I wasn't using any bad words by the way, didn't know "J.A.P" was a no-no on here...
smile.gif

My Kia said 100k, several agree the OEM plugs were just fine at 105k
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4861646/2011-kia-forte5-plugs-at-105k-mi

Short plug life seems to be a thing with some of today's tiny turbo engines.
Turbo Hyundai engines call for 45K mile plug changes. True also of Kia I would think.
Some Hyundai tech posted IIRC they had cases of the center insulator shattering and scoring cylinder walls.
Maybe the VW interval is to protect driving these mini-might motors on the autobahn.

Sure why not, i got nothing but time these days. I guess we all do. LOL

OEM plugs were - Bosch 04E905612C
I put the same ones going back in. The only difference was the ones I put in didn't have a VW logo. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/spark-plug-priced-each/04e905612c~bos/

Did not gap plugs. I believe they are just platinum plugs but google isn't 100% clear.

This car does not see any hard driving at all. 75% city and 25% highway coasting at 70mph. While MPG should be in the high 30's we are getting high 20's or low 30s.

Engine was started for a few minutes because oil change was done prior. Stayed idle.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
I happen to look up recommended maintenance items on the wife's Jetta.

Go figure 30k intervals on the spark plugs for the 1.4T.......

Either way, plugs came out like any other plugs i've pulled. No oil, nothing soaked. Bosch plugs out, Bosch plugs in. Here are two photos. Thoughts?

Incomplete info. Looks liek a facebook post.

This is not facebook.

1- What is the OM Book part number for the plug?

2- What is the gap spec on the plug? ( thinking 0.8mm on turbo )

3, 4 - What was the gap on the used plugs? And what was their P/N?

5, 6 What did you put back in (P/N) and, what did you gap them at?

Now we have some HELPFUL info.

More deposits than i would like to see.. Did someone wail on the engine for a few mins before taking the old plugs out?

Looks like Oil ash and some fuel adds.

Hope the turbo bearings are healthy.

Thanks for the post, BoT
smile.gif

- Ken

Originally Posted by Dave9
One more reason not to buy VW.

My manual (2019 Jetta) does not mention short plug intervals.

.... .....

Did not gap plugs. I believe they are just platinum plugs but google isn't 100% clear.

This car does not see any hard driving at all. 75% city and 25% highway coasting at 70mph. While MPG should be in the high 30's we are getting high 20's or low 30s.

Engine was started for a few minutes because oil change was done prior. Stayed idle

Oh man! too bad you didn't check the gap on both.

Even if by eye with a graduated eye loupe ( every tuneup guy should have one)

I notice turbo cars don't get very good mileage around town.

Mine used to do well then it just stopped giving. went from low 40's to low 30's

Something is wrong, but I turn the lease in this Decemeber, so I'm not chasing it.

Car ran FINE with factory oil. It was amazing oil.

Those are a good looking platinum plug design - even though Made in China.

BTW everyone here

Plugs can fail by having low resistivity on the insulator nose by plating out oil and fuel additive ash.
I would hope that would light up the MIL flash sequence for high misfire count. - But so many manufactrers have backed off the trigger points , for coefficients etc, you can easily melt down the cat first.

Moronic. Indeed

Thanks BoT !

Last edited:
I would imagine since a small TGDI engine is at its limits, VW thought it was better to replace the plugs early to stave off ignition issues which would lead to detonation or misfire which eventually lead to engine or cat/GPF failure.

I haven't looked up the intervals for any other TGDI engine but plugs(on a FWD I4) are a decently serviceable item. On a Nissan I maintain, 100K is the plug replacement interval. But the Mexican version of the same truck calls for 60K(in miles) replacement. The plug is a NGK double platinum. I'm changing them as soon as I can.

I put the same ones going back in. The only difference was the ones I put in didn't have a VW logo. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/spark-plug-priced-each/04e905612c~bos/

Engine was started for a few minutes because oil change was done prior. Stayed idle.

They are double platinum plugs. At least on the earlier 2.0T's (EA113 and Gen 1 EA888), the spark plug change interval is 60,000 miles.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/spark-plugs/double-platinum-spark-plugs?partId=8180

If you gap plugs, make sure you have the right tool, so you don't damage the platinum tip, you need the feeler gauge with the pronged tool to adjust the gap combo tool.

I'm still trying to find the spark plugs in my Passat.... I've looked everywhere!!!

There is no mention of servicing them in the manual either...
wink.gif

Back