Just Changed to Super Tech Advanced, Now Have Noisy Startup

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, 3.6L Pentastar V6, 107K. I just changed my oil to the Super Tech Advanced 5w-20. I am noticing loud valve noise on startup now. I Usually use Pennzoil Platinum or Havoline Lifelong Synthetic and a Jeep OEM filter.

The filter is a cartridge style on top of the engine so unfortunately there is no anti-drain back valve as far as I know. Rarely I would have a noisy startup in the past, but now, if the Jeep is sitting for a few hours or overnight, it will have a lot of valve noise which stops after a second or two once fresh oil reaches the top of the engine. I ran into a store at lunch and after sitting 30 minutes, I did not hear any valve noise at startup. I only have about 400 miles on the new oil. Any ideas? Thanks

@jceo......had same experience with the 4.7 in my Durango. I now run the Castrol synthetic blend. Seems to make a big difference. I also use the Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter supplement at every change. I still have some noise on start up, but not near what it was when I using the SuperTech.

I think the blend oil formulations seem to work better in some older engines vs. straight synthetics....at least that has been my experience with my Durango.

@jceo......had same experience with the 4.7 in my Durango. I now run the Castrol synthetic blend. Seems to make a big difference. I also use the Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter supplement at every change. I still have some noise on start up, but not near what it was when I using the SuperTech.

I think the blend oil formulations seem to work better in some older engines vs. straight synthetics....at least that has been my experience with my Durango.
I have used the LM Hydraulic Lifter Additive just to keep galleries clean right before an oil change. Sometimes I would siphon out a couple qts to get me through for a week or two. I got started on using it as I ordered MOS2 and Amazon delivered the wrong product so I called Stefan and said lots of high mileage cars use it and it would cause no harm to my car and used about half a bottle to top off. Supposedly cleans the timing chain ⛓️ and tensioner well.

My friend's Pentastar sounds like a bucket of marbles for a few seconds after being re-started on a hot engine that's been sitting for awhile. After the oil gets good and circulated it's smooth and silent. PP 0W20 and Mopar oem oil filter.

Reactions: hrv
My old 2007 Honda started making noise like that after I switched to M1. It has seen regular dino oil all it's like before that, (120k miles). I did 3 valve adjustments and confirmed it was fine each time. Noise never went away. I just chopped it up to be thinner oil because it's synthetic. Mechanic buddy said the M1 could have also cleaned the engine because of the detergents in it resulting in sludge and carbon deposit removal. Anyway it ran fine for another 80k miles when I sold it, never burned a drop of oil.

If it gets worse or starts making noise AFTER startup, R&R the filter. Did you miss an O-ring? Could be Filter cartridge body tolerance stackup issue?

Some majority grp III base oil blends allow more racket, esp when new with a high, active detergent load. Is this oil API SP ?

And your engine series - as other have stated - have a history of failed rocker arms as the rollers spin very fast on a large radius roller cam profile with the force applied as a third class lever. If it is very noisy HOT with one or more rockers clacking, its time for a tear down. There are shortcuts to getting these rockers out without removing the cams. But if the cams are chewed badly they have to be replaced.

Hoping your engine is O.K ! - Ken

Last edited:
My old 2007 Honda started making noise like that after I switched to M1. It has seen regular dino oil all it's like before that, (120k miles). I did 3 valve adjustments and confirmed it was fine each time. Noise never went away. I just chopped it up to be thinner oil because it's synthetic. Mechanic buddy said the M1 could have also cleaned the engine because of the detergents in it resulting in sludge and carbon deposit removal. Anyway it ran fine for another 80k miles when I sold it, never burned a drop of oil.
I didn’t know synthetic oil was thinner.

I used to laugh at threads like this thinking it was a psychological phenomenon that people’s engines got louder or quieter after changing oil brands, but now I think there might be something to this after all. My truck has either been run on PUP or M1EP its entire life. Last change I gave Valvoline EP a try for the first time and I swear it’s quieter on startup and the lifter tick is now barely noticeable on the highway. Suppose it’s not silly to think certain engines like certain oil formulations.

I use ear plugs. That solves the problem.
My buddy and I decided to go on a road trip to the Catskills in the late 70's. about 35 miles in, My Audi 100LS engine started making noise. I was worried. My buddy just cranked up the radio and said, "There; problem solved!" As we crested the hill on Route 2 West at 65 mph there was suddenly a loud bang and smoke and steam pouring over the windshield and around the car; could not see ahead. Carefully drove to the right onto the shoulder but glanced the guardrail in the process. We got out of the car looked under the hood. There in plain sight was a gaping hole in the side of the block; apparently the engine snapped two rods! The sweet hitchhiker we picked up five mins earlier wasn't amused and hitched a ride with a trucker passing by. We hoofed it to the next exit and a pay phone.

My Focus 2.0 (5w-20)went from quiet to loud going from motorcraft blend to Penz full Syn. Next time tried Valvoline full syn and it was fine.
My ST (5w-30)I only put the Chevron from walmart (6qt) full syn and no issues, I wont dare to experiment on this Turbo with anything else.

Not all oil is the same even in the same weights.

My dealer uses Pennzoil, probably cheaper, but no noise in my Jeep's engine.

I used to laugh at threads like this thinking it was a psychological phenomenon that people’s engines got louder or quieter after changing oil brands, but now I think there might be something to this after all. My truck has either been run on PUP or M1EP its entire life. Last change I gave Valvoline EP a try for the first time and I swear it’s quieter on startup and the lifter tick is now barely noticeable on the highway. Suppose it’s not silly to think certain engines like certain oil formulations.
It's real. My Honda is noticeably more clattery on Mobil 1 than on Pennzoil for whatever reason.

I work for Enterprise and we have several Pentastar-equipped vehicles. They're all noisy when starting

Back