Oil related noise on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGR

So after many years of changing my own oil, I have an ear for that noise a car makes when it starts, for that first time after an oil change. I have never been a "charge the filter with oil" guy, so for just that split second, on that first startup, you know you are getting an engine start noise that just doesn't quite what have it wants. I think.

Anyway, most cars really don't sound any different on that startup, you never even notice, noisewise, the engine starting without a previously charged system.

But the Altima does. Didn't notice it during first 600 miles prior to swapping out FF, but I've been listening lately during normal startups because there is just that rough grumble for a split second before the engine immediately quiets. So today I changed the oil, and listened more carefully then usual on startup and yep....for just a split second you get the same noise, so I figure that's it. What I actually LIKE about this noise is for oil testing. Does it only happen on certain oils? Filters? Temperatures or combinations of all 3?

Like I explained elsewhere, I think we have a mental defect, because now I'm going to run around, changing oils for test combinations of oil, filter and temperature until I determine the one that works the best, and then that will be the "best" for this car.

Welcome to the Home Of Defectives! That is what we do here - obsess over the minutia of oil!

Typically the noise you hear is governed most by the ADBV in the filter. Changing filters can be dramatic as all get out...

SteveSRT8 is correct......Depending on what configuration your filter happens to be in. If it is inverted, (Threaded side down) when installed, the the valve not sealing will make a big difference.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Typically the noise you hear is governed most by the ADBV in the filter. Changing filters can be dramatic as all get out...

Ding Ding Ding!
01.gif

You'll find filters can make a dramatic difference in start up noise.

Well, on the 4 cylinder Altima, the filter mounts horizontally inside the passenger side wheel well. The first oil filter put on at the Factory was one brand, 65FOB, I put on a 65FOC, and this time after talking to the dealership they said sure, put on a 9E0000, which I have a few leftovers of.

The 9E being slightly longer than the 65FOB/C/D series. So 3 different filters so far, all OEM.

After firing up the car a few times, so far no noise at statup. I should add, I've heard the noise after the car has sat for a couple days, today when it hadn't sat that long there is no noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back