Just bought a Yaris...break-in oil question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
change factory fill at 500 miles, at 3k miles, then put 0w-20 syn, change every 10k afterwards. get 45mpg out of that beast!

Foch:

No relation to the Frehch General, I hope...
wink.gif

Seriously though, enjoy the Yaris, and don't lose too much sleep over this. You can hardly go wrong with this engine. Do a couple UOA just to make sure you've got a good one (very very improbable that you don't), and move on from there.

This is a good little engine, and given the costs involved (as in, you didn't just sink a small fortune into a Lexus LS...), you can very well comfortably use and justify a good dino like DS or GTX, perhaps spiked with some LC. You can hardly go wrong with this stout little mill.
cheers3.gif

I just got a new Corolla, went with factory for the first 2000 miles, then i got mobil 1 0w20 since....Cant say i see any difference, but i know its about as good as it gets...

Originally Posted By: Foch
Hi,

I just bought a new Toyota Yaris. I plan on doing 5000 mile synthetic OCI's.

What do you guys think about the first oil change? Just go the first 5000 miles on the factory fill oil and not worry about it - or - perform a oil change at say 500 miles or ???miles. What would you do?

5k on the FF then put something as close to it in properties for another 15k miles to break-in properly. Atleast that's what I did on my Honda. Changed the FF at 5k and then used Mobil Driveclean 5000 and then DC 7500 until 21,500 total miles on brand new car. That car now at 56k gets me 400 miles a tank and this is a V6, mind you.

Last edited:
I changed the ff in my 08 corolla at 300 miles, again at 500 miles, 1600 miles and started my 5K (or 6K intervals) after that.

have run dino and synthetic, but probably going to stick with synthetic as i have quite a bit but it wouldnt phase me in the least to run a dino 5K intervals the life of the car, which I am hoping to be at least 400K

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
Every lease we got I changed oil at 1000-1500 miles and added synthetic. You never know if you might want to keep it.

I was gonna say, using syn oil in a lease? It's like a long term rental. IMO, 0w-10 Wesson or Crisco oil would be just fine.
19.gif

So you would rather have us abuse it like a rented mule? When we sell them at the end of a lease the buyers respect the fact of it having excellent maintenance. They also pay top dollar to get it.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
So you would rather have us abuse it like a rented mule? When we sell them at the end of a lease the buyers respect the fact of it having excellent maintenance. They also pay top dollar to get it.

So if a person turing in a lease car to get another one is going to get more of a discount on another car if he uses syn oil over dino oil during the time he has the lease? I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back