just bought a 1978 chevy k20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: joegreen
Hello everyone, i just bought a 1978 k20 4x4 4bbl-350 th400. thats all.

A curious First post on bitog.. to say the least??

and no pictures.. this thread is worthless so far :p

Maintenance? Fluids? Mods?
whistle.gif

i just posted something because i tried the search function on the top and it said i could not use it. so i thought i would just post something quick and see if the search function would work after i made my first post. anyway the search function worked afterwords and sorry for no pictures or info.

well i put mobile 1 10w30 high mileage in the motor. napa 30wt non detergent in the np203 transfer case. valvoline 80w90 gear oil in front and rear differential.

is it really a non lockup trans. i just assumed it was new enough that it locked. what are the benefits of a non lockup coverter and the downfalls. also i am buying a tru cool 4590 cooler for it.

Well, I am pretty sure, even my 89 with a TH400 didn't have a lock up converter. I don't think that arrived until the 4L80 basically the TH400 with overdrive. Good for towing. Poorer for MPGs(but really that is not most likely your concern with that kind of truck
smile.gif
) And it just makes more heat. I see in your other post you adding a large cooler so you should be good to go!

No TH400 had a lockup converter, only the TH350 trans did as far as the GM 3 speeds go. But the TH400 is an extremely durable transmission. I mean they put them behind big blocks in Chevelles back in the good old days as well as they are used by the US Military in Humvees.

A major benefit of buying an older used Chevy or keeping a new(er) one for the long term is the availability of parts via salvage yards and the immense amount of aftermarket parts.

Generally, Chevy stuff is cheaper then Ford and usually much cheaper than Mopar.

That was the compelling reason I bout the 2004 Silverado new with the intent of keeping it for MANY years.

Another handy aspect is if you live in an area that has not been inundated with Toyotas, Nissans, etc. buying those makes can be problematic regarding finding competent mechanics, specialized tools and parts.

If in rural Dakotas or other midwestern states you can get a Chevy or Ford fixed and parts found nearby pert-near anywhere.

Drive Toyota van out thataway and a part may be a few days away in a warehouse and the nearest Toyota dealer that KNOWS the product may be a few hundred miles away.

The same principle has applied to "hopping up" street rods or whatever.... Chevy has always been the least expensive way to add horsepower to your engine.

Good luck with the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back